Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Nov 28, 2015 at 3:08 AM Post #2,882 of 3,700
Just to confirm, as expected above, that the breeze du-u8 works in Linux with no update needed. My configuration: Voyage MPD Linux => Empirical Audio Short Block => USB-Regen => Breeze Audio

Cheers

Thanks, Victor.
I'm waiting for my Regen and I will order the Breeze DU-U8 with Talema transformer.
I will question the vendor about a "Crysteks option".

Etienne

Nov 28, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #2,883 of 3,700
Does anyone know if I need a Gustard U12 to fully take advantage of the Gustard DAC-X12 and it's features? I only have a Gustard DAC-X12 and it only reaches 24bit, 192khz in Windows 8.1 control panel when it's advertised as 32bit, 384khz through USB. Beyond that there are no other software features, it's bare bones. I'm using "Xmos Stereo USB Audio Class2 version 2.23.0" drivers by the way, that's it.

Please and thank you.

Nov 28, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #2,884 of 3,700
Does anyone know if I need a Gustard U12 to fully take advantage of the Gustard DAC-X12 and it's features? I only have a Gustard DAC-X12 and it only reaches 24bit, 192khz in Windows 8.1 control panel when it's advertised as 32bit, 384khz through USB. Beyond that there are no other software features, it's bare bones. I'm using "Xmos Stereo USB Audio Class2 version 2.23.0" drivers by the way, that's it.

Please and thank you.

It would likely sound better - but to get 32/384K you will have to use i2s. 

PS try Foobar 2000 as your player - it's free

Nov 28, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #2,886 of 3,700
  Who grabbed that Remedy up on Audiogon for $295?  Damn you beat me to it!

I was going to buy it for my second system - but just wanted to test out the new sound in my main system with the ViaBlue connector first.

That thing sold in like one day.

mb your Wyred for Sound Remedy will be useless thing if you upgrade DU-U8 for Crystek.

Nov 28, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #2,887 of 3,700
  mb your Wyred for Sound Remedy will be useless thing if you upgrade DU-U8 for Crystek.

Oh you have a Remedy and a DU-U8 with a Crystek?

Anyway - the Remedy does something completely different.  But thanks for your 
blink.gif
informed opinion.
wink.gif

Nov 29, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #2,893 of 3,700
We had a USB cable blind shootout at our audio club.
20 people participated and they all heard differences In the sound of the USB cables
The cable that was liked the best was the Audioquest Carbon ( $170)  followed by the Lightspeed 10G ($999)
Remember the signal carried by the USB cable is an analog signal. The dac takes this signal and creates the digital bits
Since it is an analog signal the cable suffers from typical analog cable problems. Noise, reflections from impedance mismatches and cable jitter.
In this case bits are not always bits. People who don't believe have not really listened carefully
Alan

Nov 29, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #2,894 of 3,700
  We had a USB cable blind shootout at our audio club.
20 people participated and they all heard differences In the sound of the USB cables
The cable that was liked the best was the Audioquest Carbon ( $170)  followed by the Lightspeed 10G ($999)
Remember the signal carried by the USB cable is an analog signal. The dac takes this signal and creates the digital bits
Since it is an analog signal the cable suffers from typical analog cable problems. Noise, reflections from impedance mismatches and cable jitter.
In this case bits are not always bits. People who don't believe have not really listened carefully
Alan

Thanks Alan.  I will have to give a Carbon a try - never had much luck with Audioquest stuff in the past - but the Jitterbug has really impressed me.
BTW the JB was just picked by 'The Absolute Sound' as a Product of the Year.  Not the Regen.

Can you list the other cables you guys compared?  The 10G is a very well regarded cable, although I have never heard it,

I agree cable impedences, RFI/EMI shielding, etc... all matter,

For an inexpensive cable I'm impressed by the $49 Supra USB.

Nov 29, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #2,895 of 3,700
Doing a little research on the AQ Carbon - over on CA many seem to prefer the more expensive Coffee.  Other prefer the $1135 Mapleshade to either.  I sense a USB cable roll coming. 

http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/Clearlink-USB-20-Cable-3-Foot-Male-A-to-Male-B-PLUS-Version/productinfo/CLEARLINK3-B-PL/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back