Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Nov 21, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #2,852 of 3,700
Soon the greatest potential 'tweak' of all; my Puc 2 lite will get a chance to tweak the Breeze's nose as I'll have a Breeze in-house ready to go note for note with Herr Puc for bragging rights in the living room. Loser gets booted and 'tweaked' over to the headphone system in the office. Should be an interesting fight.

Interestingly, I actually preferred the Audioquest JB (two of them- one serial and one parallel) in both systems to the regen Amber (which I still have) as powered by teradak. The JB's were immediately more musical to me whereas even after break in, the regen has yet to do for me what everyone says it does for them. I just don't hear that it gets more 'musical' when I put the regen in. I keep going 'ummm... maybe this, or a little that?' But with the JB it was immediately apparent on a Beethoven concerto that there was more depth and the strings were beautiful like never before. That's what I wanted the regen to do. Maybe it's because I'm running it into these converters instead of dac-direct. Who knows.

In other news, a Chord Silver Plus USB cable with a jitterbug runs very close some more 'supreme' type cables I've heard. I am interested to see what a Supra will do. Don't love the stock split USB cable included with the yellowtec, though it has its merits. May try a Forza.

I AM, however, loving a very affordable 12 foot run of Mogami Gold balanced digital cable (runs over six feet being touted by some as best in terms of AES digital cable sonics) which preliminarily seems to have a bit more bass impact/depth and top-end clarity than a shorter length (a meter) of blue jean. I did read on that same cable forum that some guy thought the Mogami Gold ran the super pricey MIT Oracle digital cable to a dead heat; hence my purchase of said Mogami. (Didn't have the extra 3000 bucks on hand for the Oracle and wasn't available on Amazon).

Oh and rb, I got a huge shock (not literally though:) when I used a cheap extension cord with outlet extender to plug my mx-u8 converter in across the room. Yikes! a hard edgy sound I never heard from the system before. Terrible! So I went direct into wall again and fixed. Yes sir- no double blind testing was needed on that one:) I can totally see how something like a power cord can make those musically important differences you write about even with a USB converter. But Selena Gomez!? Rb, really, we need to talk...

Nov 22, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #2,853 of 3,700
Soon the greatest potential 'tweak' of all; my Puc 2 lite will get a chance to tweak the Breeze's nose as I'll have a Breeze in-house ready to go note for note with Herr Puc for bragging rights in the living room. Loser gets booted and 'tweaked' over to the headphone system in the office. Should be an interesting fight.

Interestingly, I actually preferred the Audioquest JB (two of them- one serial and one parallel) in both systems to the regen Amber (which I still have) as powered by teradak. The JB's were immediately more musical to me whereas even after break in, the regen has yet to do for me what everyone says it does for them. I just don't hear that it gets more 'musical' when I put the regen in. I keep going 'ummm... maybe this, or a little that?' But with the JB it was immediately apparent on a Beethoven concerto that there was more depth and the strings were beautiful like never before. That's what I wanted the regen to do. Maybe it's because I'm running it into these converters instead of dac-direct. Who knows.

In other news, a Chord Silver Plus USB cable with a jitterbug runs very close some more 'supreme' type cables I've heard. I am interested to see what a Supra will do. Don't love the stock split USB cable included with the yellowtec, though it has its merits. May try a Forza.

I AM, however, loving a very affordable 12 foot run of Mogami Gold balanced digital cable (runs over six feet being touted by some as best in terms of AES digital cable sonics) which preliminarily seems to have a bit more bass impact/depth and top-end clarity than a shorter length (a meter) of blue jean. I did read on that same cable forum that some guy thought the Mogami Gold ran the super pricey MIT Oracle digital cable to a dead heat; hence my purchase of said Mogami. (Didn't have the extra 3000 bucks on hand for the Oracle and wasn't available on Amazon).

Oh and rb, I got a huge shock (not literally though:) when I used a cheap extension cord with outlet extender to plug my mx-u8 converter in across the room. Yikes! a hard edgy sound I never heard from the system before. Terrible! So I went direct into wall again and fixed. Yes sir- no double blind testing was needed on that one:) I can totally see how something like a power cord can make those musically important differences you write about even with a USB converter. But Selena Gomez!? Rb, really, we need to talk...

Nice post!  In the left corner the PUC2 Lite in the right the Breeze DU-U8...ding, ding, ding...

I really like the JB's (only one between the USB cable and PC). Kept one Regen/LPS TeraDak and sold the other Regen - as I posted before worked great in one system slightly hurt in my main one.  The Wryed Remedy/LPS TeraDak - helped a bunch in one but only a little in my main system, still waiting for the ViaBlue RCA to RCA adapter to arrive, so that may make a difference (right now just using a cheap best buy spdif coax cable between the Remedy and DAC).

I received the Supra 2M USB cable last week - pretty good.

So far the Cerious Graphene Xtreme power cord on the DU-U8 has made a bigger difference then either the JB or the Regen/LPS or Wryed Remedy/LPS on my main system.  For me with a decades long experience in rolling many different power cords through various equipment it wasn't to surprising - the 'shock'
wink.gif
was how, without breakin, the Cerious is.

I love 'Revival'!  Nice stuff - I also like Lana Dey Ray's 'Ultraviloence', Lorde - 'Pure Heroine', Florence and the Machine 'How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful' and 'Lungs'.  Picked up all the Black Keys on vinyl and digitalized (Attack and Release and Turn Blue are my favorites), The 1975 also, Aritic Monkeys 'AM' (really great), Cage the Elephant, etc...I just like hearing new stuff.

Can't wait to the hear the results of the DDC boxing match!
popcorn.gif

Can't listen to old Zep over and over forever..Run classical barque on the office system all day in the background.

Next up - just bought the Adele's 25 CD.  Will burn tonight.

Nov 23, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #2,854 of 3,700
hi,
you talk about the Breeze DU-U8. Does it outperform the Gustard U12 ?

I have digital amp, qlshifi qa100.
This weekend i managed to find a way to cable the hdmi i2s output of the U12 to the RJ45 i2s input of the QA100.
Based on a really basic connection, it sounds pretty ok.
I prepare a new cable where conections will be soldiered. Then I'll compare i2s to the other outputs.
Quite tricky and not straight forward to find the right wire on the hdmi cable to connect to the right wire on the rj45 cable... but finally i got them. if someone is interested I'll post info and photos regarding this type of non-standard link.
Rgds

Nov 23, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #2,855 of 3,700
hi,

This weekend i managed to find a way to cable the hdmi i2s output of the U12 to the RJ45 i2s input of the QA100.
I prepare a new cable where conections will be soldiered. Then I'll compare i2s to the other outputs.
Quite tricky and not straight forward to find the right wire on the hdmi cable to connect to the right wire on the rj45 cable... but finally i got them. if someone is interested I'll post info and photos regarding this type of non-standard link.
Rgds

Great job. I'm sure there are a number of folks facing this same conundrum that would greatly appreciate a brief U12 I2S to RJ45 guide.

Nov 23, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #2,856 of 3,700
it's not a simple wire switch. there is more to the hdmi vs rj i2s than that...
"it sounds pretty ok..." is not a result many would hold valid. not trying to be negative here, but there is a big difference between hdmi i2s and the rj implementation

Nov 24, 2015 at 4:21 AM Post #2,857 of 3,700
hi,

Rgds

Hello Phile 1,

Do the speakers swap with each other when you replay I2S output? Member of this forum and me are experiencing this problem on I2S replay.

I think how you handle the 5V from the HDMI output is the tricky bit.

Regards,

Nov 24, 2015 at 4:26 AM Post #2,858 of 3,700
  So I will start a new thread on the Breeze DU-U8 - as I will begin a series of mods, tweeks and will be ordering the Crystek CCHD-957 clocks for installation.  Already have a Cerious power cable on the way to give that a try on the DU-U8.  Just to see how far this inexpensive USB bridge can be taken.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

Please let us know when you open the Breeze DU-U8 thread.

Cheers

Nov 24, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #2,859 of 3,700
hi,

Rgds

Phile, I would be interested in how you connect LVDS output to TTL input by wiring alone.  There are a lot of differences between these two digital interfaces and common wisdom says that it cannot be done without the use a some type of translator chip to convert the signalling.   So let's see what you have!

Nov 24, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #2,860 of 3,700
hi,

Rgds

Yes I found the DU-U8 the best I've heard yet (other then a close shootout with the $1500 Empirical OffRamp 5 using i2S HDMI and the DU-U8 S/PDIF coax).  It even beat, in my two systems, the Hydra Z/LPS.  IMO way better then the U12.  In comparison the U12 sounds veiled and lacking in deep bass, but on it's own the U12 is pretty good, so the DU-U8 is really a killer great DDC.  With the Cerious Graphene Red power cable - taken to another level (would love hear this combo against the OR5 - I bet a very close tie).

Great job. I'm sure there are a number of folks facing this same conundrum that would greatly appreciate a brief U12 I2S to RJ45 guide.

Ditto

Hello Phile 1,

Do the speakers swap with each other when you replay I2S output? Member of this forum and me are experiencing this problem on I2S replay.

I think how you handle the 5V from the HDMI output is the tricky bit.

Regards,

I remember that discussion. i2s us wrought with challenges.  I see even the raved about R2R state of the art audio technology $2,300 totl Schiit YYGGDRASIL DAC has no i2s input (or DSD).

Please let us know when you open the Breeze DU-U8 thread.

Cheers

Holidays and work have me tied up - soon.
Cheers!

Nov 25, 2015 at 2:27 AM Post #2,865 of 3,700
hi
regarding the hdmi to rj45 cable for i2s.
i did a V form cable yesterday evening to feed my 2 digital amp.
Nice cable with 2 rj45 cables sstp, soldiered on a hdmi connector. the easiest way for me, and i think it is more efficient regarding EMI.
Soldiers are not nice because I am just a beginner in this job.
Conclusion : same sound than toslink !
i would say : not bad for a stupid trial but no gain. ... thus I'm a bit disappointed because everyone is saying that i2s outperform the other connections, but not in that case.
Back to work right now. Wait for a few hours for my reports.
rgds

Users who are viewing this thread

Back