Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
May 14, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #1,531 of 3,700
  @pakultra, how expensive was the FX-2? I live about two hours away from where they make the Blue Circle gear, but they are slow to return calls! Thanks brother.

@Sonic Defender I bought it from here: http://entracteaudio.com/Thingee.php It's currently priced at CAD355. I bought it two years ago. I forgot how much I paid for it, but it could have been a little cheaper than this. The seller is a distributor of Blue Circle Audio. It's a one-man operation. The owner is named Geroge. He is a nice guy. He offered a few days return and a one-year upgrade policy. I called him and got a little discount off the official price and then I just drove to his house and picked it up. 

Cheers
beerchug.gif

pakultra

May 14, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #1,532 of 3,700
  @Sonic Defender I bought it from here: http://entracteaudio.com/Thingee.php It's currently priced at CAD355. I bought it two years ago. I forgot how much I paid for it, but it could have been a little cheaper than this. The seller is a distributor of Blue Circle Audio. It's a one-man operation. The owner is named Geroge. He is a nice guy. He offered a few days return and a one-year upgrade policy. I called him and got a little discount off the official price and then I just drove to his house and picked it up. 

Cheers
beerchug.gif

pakultra

Thanks, I was on the phone with Toby from Blue Circle for almost an hour today. Really nice man, fascinating stories. I'm holding off as even they are careful not to say that utility power noise causes any audible issues. They are comfortable saying that utility power is "dirty" but they are clear that they will not equate that with audible issues.

Anyway I purchased an MX-U8 just now but I need advice or a link for a basic AES cable to use with it and my M51. I hate sounding ignorant, but up until recently I never bothered looking into this so I need to ask if all AES cables are the same? Are there different configurations that would not work with the U8 and my DAC? There is a company in Quebec, pro studio equipment called Studio Ecomik http://economik.com/ where it appears that there are several AES cables available. Hard to believe I'm this freakin ignorant, but it is what it is so any input is welcome. Thanks.

May 14, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #1,533 of 3,700

Thanks, I was on the phone with Toby from Blue Circle for almost an hour today. Really nice man, fascinating stories. I'm holding off as even they are careful not to say that utility power noise causes any audible issues. They are comfortable saying that utility power is "dirty" but they are clear that they will not equate that with audible issues.

Anyway I purchased an MX-U8 just now but I need advice or a link for a basic AES cable to use with it and my M51. I hate sounding ignorant, but up until recently I never bothered looking into this so I need to ask if all AES cables are the same? Are there different configurations that would not work with the U8 and my DAC? There is a company in Quebec, pro studio equipment called Studio Ecomik http://economik.com/ where it appears that there are several AES cables available. Hard to believe I'm this freakin ignorant, but it is what it is so any input is welcome. Thanks.

Any AES cable should work fine and at the very least will get you listening to some music
basshead.gif

Of course like most things, I generally find that you get what you pay for in an AES cable. 

Anyway, I just finished lightly modding my MX-U8 with some Stillpoints ERS and replaced the stock fuse with a Furutech part.
- Straight off that bat you wouldn't think it was the same unit - it sounds quite a bit different compared to the stock MX-U8.

The stock U8 is surprisingly forward in it's presentation (voices leap out at you). My April Music DP1 Dac already has a slightly forward midrange presentation, and in no way does the MX-U8 try to hide it!

After the mod, the sound stage is noticeably less forward (less aggressive) if not a bit sweeter and more relaxed sounding.  It definitely sounds more transparent.

Of course, the fuse is new and needs to burn in, and the MX-U8 itself is fairly new and needs more hours on it as well before I'll get the full scope of what the U8 is all about.

May 14, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #1,534 of 3,700
Thanks Jamie, I think I'll just go with a basic Digiflex cable for now, they seem to be well made and have a good reputation. I just wasn't sure if there were any particular configurations of the AES cable that should be considered. I guess not which makes things easier.

May 15, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #1,535 of 3,700
  I am using The PLC FX-2  (six outlet model) from Blue Circle Audio:

wp9efc8572.jpg

http://www.bluecircle.com/page151.html

Not fancy but very functional.

Cheers
beerchug.gif

pakultra

Hi Pakultra ! good morning

Thanks a lot indeed for the valuable information
Your experience confirms me that a filter is indeed beneficial.  And i think especially with digital equipment that i read are extremely sensitive to RFI in particular.
As you also say also EMI are quite bad but a solution could be a EI transformer place in a Faraday cage (let's say shielded).
I love EI transformers.  I made some little experiment for a PS for a DIY line preamp.
This preamp (the Nelson Pass project "Bride of Zen") has the characteristic of let much of the noise from the PS through down to the power amp (design with a low PSRR).
So i tried both a toroidal and a EI.  I had very bad electrical plant at home.
Every time i switched on the lights in the room with the toroidal i was getting a very loud pop in the speakers
Replacing the toroidal with the EI the pop was almost not existent ... just a little click.
An my feeling is that analog circuits are much much more tolerant than digital ones, that are very very sensitive.
This is the Schiit Bifrost dac, and excellent sounding unit.   Let's just say that i like its PS immensely more.  They really know what they are doing in Schiit. Exceptional brand.
Sorry i cannot upload the picture now. This is the link.

http://schiit.com/public/upload/general/imagecache_thumbnail_product_gallery_large/bifrost_06.jpg

Peeping inside the very best units around a lot of hints can be obtained.
This said i see also some very high end clock generator powered by SMPS and no filter at the input.
However i have the feeling that those SMPS are not the normal PS we found around.  They must be pretty special indeed.
I will look for the filter you mention.    I am sure i would get a remarkable benefit from using it.
Thanks a lot again.
Have a nice day,   gino

May 15, 2015 at 1:39 AM Post #1,536 of 3,700

Thanks, I was on the phone with Toby from Blue Circle for almost an hour today. Really nice man, fascinating stories. I'm holding off as even they are careful not to say that utility power noise causes any audible issues.
They are comfortable saying that utility power is "dirty" but they are clear that they will not equate that with audible issues... 

Hi personally i think it depends on:
1)  how the PS is designed and realized
2)  how dirty is the utility power
I tend to agree that a very very good PS should have a great noise filtering effect. In that case additional filtering is not needed of course.
But how many PS are like that ? the evidence is when you change the AC power cable.
Some cables act like filters and the resulting sound is cleaner. With a very good PS the differences in sound are much much lower.
And digital equipment are the most sensitive to mains power quality by far.  In some extreme case i have seen used even batteries (this is too much and also not very practical)

I like very much indeed the design of the power supplies in the Schiit Audio dacs ... those are very fine PS indeed.
And i think they are one of the reasons of the very good sound of those units)

What i really do not like instead is when i see a transformer soldered directly on the same PCB of the circuits.  This is crazy.
Even my cat knows that mains transformers vibrate. And some very very much.
Better to stick them on some rubber vibes absorbers fixed to the chassis. Much much better.

Regards,  gino

May 15, 2015 at 2:01 AM Post #1,537 of 3,700
  Thanks Jamie, I think I'll just go with a basic Digiflex cable for now, they seem to be well made and have a good reputation. I just wasn't sure if there were any particular configurations of the AES cable that should be considered. I guess not which makes things easier.

Hi look at this ... it is a little expensive but it is definitive. The professionals use it.  Mogami is very good indeed.
wink.gif

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-ft-Mogami-W3080-XLR-3-pin-AES-EBU-Cable-w-Black-Neutrik-Gold-Connectors-/291358357980?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43d64fb9dc

Bye, gino

May 15, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #1,538 of 3,700

Hi look at this ... it is a little expensive but it is definitive. The professionals use it.  Mogami is very good indeed.
wink.gif

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-ft-Mogami-W3080-XLR-3-pin-AES-EBU-Cable-w-Black-Neutrik-Gold-Connectors-/291358357980?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43d64fb9dc

Bye, gino

I've heard that because of the speed of digital transmission, the shortest cable you want to use 1.5m/5 ft. Source: http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue14/spdif.htm

I'll grab a AES cable as soon as I read a few more reviews of the Tanly, MX-U8, and U12. Right now I'm leaning towards the MX-U8 as the best value (for me), but if the Tanly is gobs better, I may go that way. I'm also trying to understand all the mods done in this thread. I'm an engineer (not EE), but you guys are way over my head right now!

May 15, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #1,539 of 3,700
I've heard that because of the speed of digital transmission, the shortest cable you want to use 1.5m/5 ft.
Source: http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue14/spdif.htm  

Hi well i think you can find longer for sure.   I have seen limitations only for the max length here

http://en.wikipedia.org/?title=S/PDIF

maybe they are right.  My aes/ebu cable is 3 meters by the way. Not big difference in price.
But quality is important.  Any top pro brand would do fine, like Canare, Mogami, Gotham, etc.
I'll grab a AES cable as soon as I read a few more reviews of the Tanly, MX-U8, and U12. Right now I'm leaning towards the MX-U8 as the best value (for me), but if the Tanly is gobs better, I may go that way.
I'm also trying to understand all the mods done in this thread. I'm an engineer (not EE), but you guys are way over my head right now!

Tanly ? what is ? is it expensive ?    honestly what i have learned comes mostly from technical forums like this one.   There are also very competent people.  In some you find also very kind professionals ready to share knowledge. 
not that i have learnt a lot... but it is only my fault. 
Thanks,  gino  

May 16, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #1,541 of 3,700
  Real price Tanly Audio USB converter 300-350 usd (IMHO), but in stock the price is overstated....570usd -it is expensive ....
We will wait when the price becomes more democratic

Hi actually i do not know if it is an issue of democracy but i have the feeling that some units are a little overdesigned and consequently overpriced.
I am testing some very very cheap usb to spdif converters. I have one for instance from Breeze Audio with XMOS chip that looks very very nice indeed.
I am about to try it as soon as i will receive a usb isolator that will give the possibility to use and external low noise PS ... i have already one linear that sounds good (i.e. effective mains noise filtering and low residual noise).
I am counting the days ... i am sure i will be surprised.  The unit costed some 50-60 USD ... is this one here
http://i39.servimg.com/u/f39/18/81/83/61/minish10.jpg
Unfortunately it does not have a AES/EBU digital out that i adore ...
redface.gif
  this connection is really something
wink.gif

For me much better than spdif and toslink (toslink in even not so cheap device can be ****y)
I have bought other little things from this Company.
They are great at quality/price ratio .... really great
Maybe they are more democratic ?   " low jitter to the masses " ???
biggrin.gif

Regards,  gino

May 16, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #1,542 of 3,700
  Real price Tanly Audio USB converter 300-350 usd (IMHO), but in stock the price is overstated....570usd -it is expensive ....
We will wait when the price becomes more democratic

"Real price" as in the production cost or the market value? Do you think the price will drop substantially as it gains more (global) market share?

May 16, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #1,543 of 3,700
Hi anoth
I've heard that because of the speed of digital transmission, the shortest cable you want to use 1.5m/5 ft. Source: http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue14/spdif.htm

Hi again. Just to add that spdif is good but often bad implemented (like optical also).   Just as a start the right connection for real 75 ohm is bnc and not RCA as universally used. 
This can cause problems in the signal transmission.  Instead AES/EBU is truly 110 ohm.  Actually it is a standard develop for professional duties.  It must be good and reliable.  
 I'll grab a AES cable as soon as I read a few more reviews of the Tanly, MX-U8, and U12. Right now I'm leaning towards the MX-U8 as the best value (for me), but if the Tanly is gobs better, I may go that way. I'm also trying to understand all the mods done in this thread. I'm an engineer (not EE), but you guys are way over my head right now!

I've bought one also myself and waiting to receive it.   I read great things of this interface.  And it should have isolated usb.   Very nice unit indeed.
Good luck with your search.
Regards,  gino   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back