Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
May 17, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #1,546 of 3,700
Received my MX-U8 today to compare to my U12.  Unfortunately, the AES output doesn't seem to be working.  
triportsad.gif

Hi really sorry to hear this.  I bought it especially with AES connection in mind
Were you using the same input/AES cable/source/dac before ? which drivers have you installed ?

Have you emailed the seller/manufacturer ?
do they have a website with tech support section ?

I am contacting my seller who seemed quite ready to answer to question.
I think i read somewhere that AES e spdif out are in someway linked ... but i am not an expert.
Very worrying news indeed.
Let us know please of any evolution.
Kind regards,  gino

May 17, 2015 at 1:56 AM Post #1,547 of 3,700

Hi really sorry to hear this.  I bought it especially with AES connection in mind
Were you using the same input before ?

Have you emailed the seller/manufacturer ?
do they have a website with tech support section ?

I am contacting my seller who seemed quite ready to answer to question.
I think i read somewhere that AES e spdif out are in someway linked ... but i am not an expert.
Very worrying news indeed.
Let us know please of any evolution.
Kind regards,  gino

Neither my Adcom GDA-600 or my Gustard X12 could get a lock on the AES ouput from the MX-U8.  I tried two known good cables, one Mogami and one Hosa.  However, I didn't have any problem at with the optical and coax outputs from the MX-U8.  Not sure if the coax and AES outputs can be used simultaneously but I tried with only the AES output connected and still no dice.  I even opened the unit in case there was some kind of jumper/switch to toggle between AES and coax but I didn't see anything.  I haven't contacted the seller yet but I may do that on Monday.  Worst case, I will just try to troubleshoot and fix the problem myself.  BTW, my Gustard U12 AES output is working just fine with the above cables/DACs.

May 17, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #1,548 of 3,700

Neither my Adcom GDA-600 or my Gustard X12 could get a lock on the AES ouput from the MX-U8.  I tried two known good cables, one Mogami and one Hosa.  However, I didn't have any problem at with the optical and coax outputs from the MX-U8.  Not sure if the coax and AES outputs can be used simultaneously but I tried with only the AES output connected and still no dice.
I even opened the unit in case there was some kind of jumper/switch to toggle between AES and coax but I didn't see anything.
I haven't contacted the seller yet but I may do that on Monday.  Worst case, I will just try to troubleshoot and fix the problem myself.
BTW, my Gustard U12 AES output is working just fine with the above cables/DACs.

Hi and thanks a lot for the very valuable advice
I am really concerned.  I have also a U12 myself that i am using without problem with spdif and AES (not at the same time).
I read somewhere that usually spdif out is obtained from one phase of the AES/EBU  ???  

https://static.gearslutz.com/board/imgext.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fcbcmusicblog.files.wordpress.com%2F2010%2F11%2Faes_to_spdif_adapter1.jpg&h=59a6335d3ff8d42d00902b1742e34e91

However If you will get any answer from the seller please report.
Very bad news indeed.  I love AES connection.
Thanks again,  gino

May 17, 2015 at 3:37 AM Post #1,549 of 3,700
The Tanly arrived. I tried it with OPPO's driver and it works very very well.
I can't get Tanly and U12 work at the same time. My audio PC can recognized only one of them (in CORE mode). If I want to try the other one I have to go back to GUI mode and install driver again. It recognized both of them when in GUI mode but only one of them when in CORE mode.

Look like my U12 will up for sale soon.

I saw someone has a problem when install OPPO's driver with MX-U8.
You can try to use v2.23 to detect your MX-U8 first. ( cause v2.23 has detect function. If it can't detect the unit. It can't install driver). So, to make it works. Change VID,PID in v2.23 and try it. If it can see your MX-U8 then you can use that VID,PID with OPPO's driver. (with disable driver enforcement)
Hope this will help.

May 17, 2015 at 5:20 AM Post #1,551 of 3,700
my Adcom GDA-600 or my Gustard X12 

Hi and sorry to bother you and going OT
May i ask you which of your dacs do you like better ?  i see that the Adcom has pcm63 multibit ... very rare and wanted. 
I rate ability of soundstage rendering over any other characteristic in digital equipment (actually not only in digital)
Thanks a lot,  gino 

May 17, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #1,553 of 3,700
So, what driver consideration do I need to take with regards to the MX-U8 for my NAD M51?

May 17, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #1,554 of 3,700
Mr. Huang of Gustard informed me tonight, Gustard is going to launch their latest DAC - X20 in June,

Twin 9018; Twin toroidal.

These are the prototype pictures, they might carry out finalise upgrade at the latest stage. 

May 17, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #1,556 of 3,700

Hi and sorry to bother you and going OT
May i ask you which of your dacs do you like better ?  i see that the Adcom has pcm63 multibit ... very rare and wanted. 
I rate ability of soundstage rendering over any other characteristic in digital equipment (actually not only in digital)
Thanks a lot,  gino 

I haven't spent a lot of time with the Gustard yet.  But I had a listening session last night with the Adcom and it sounded quite good.  Best I've heard yet.  Soundstage was very good.  I plan on modding the hell out of it so hopefully it can get even better.

May 17, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #1,557 of 3,700

Hi and thanks a lot for the very valuable advice
I am really concerned.  I have also a U12 myself that i am using without problem with spdif and AES (not at the same time).
I read somewhere that usually spdif out is obtained from one phase of the AES/EBU  ???  

https://static.gearslutz.com/board/imgext.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fcbcmusicblog.files.wordpress.com%2F2010%2F11%2Faes_to_spdif_adapter1.jpg&h=59a6335d3ff8d42d00902b1742e34e91

However If you will get any answer from the seller please report.
Very bad news indeed.  I love AES connection.
Thanks again,  gino

Thanks for the info.  Too bad I don't currently have a scope to put on it to figure out what's going on.

May 17, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #1,558 of 3,700
I haven't spent a lot of time with the Gustard yet.  But I had a listening session last night with the Adcom and it sounded quite good.  Best I've heard yet.  
Soundstage was very good.  I plan on modding the hell out of it so hopefully it can get even better.

Hi i have read all the discussion about multibit dacs like your Adcom.  You have a very good dac i guess.
I am now using the U12 with an Apogee Rosetta 200, a pro unit with a Canare AES cable.  Not bad but is delta-sigma.   I think i will stick with it for a while but looking for some lucky find in the 2nd hand market.
I should receive the Melodious in some days ... i hope that at least on the converter side i will be done.  And it is not a little thing.   A good usb converter is key for good overall sound. 
Thanks a lot again and good luck with the seller 
Bye,   gino

May 17, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #1,559 of 3,700
Can anybody who has implemented the MX-U8 in their system can you tell me about what is involved in terms of drivers and configuration? I take it you need a driver for Windows 7 in my case that allows the computer to recognize it, but if that is the case where do the drivers come from? Sorry for the ignorance, but not something I've done before. Cheers.

May 17, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #1,560 of 3,700
  Can anybody who has implemented the MX-U8 in their system can you tell me about what is involved in terms of drivers and configuration? I take it you need a driver for Windows 7 in my case that allows the computer to recognize it, but if that is the case where do the drivers come from? Sorry for the ignorance, but not something I've done before. Cheers.

URL of Driver: http://pan.baidu.com/s/1eQo0Rku  
Password: crwp​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back