Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Nov 9, 2014 at 4:44 AM Post #196 of 3,700
Interesting moment:
5PCS Transformer PULSE DIP-4 PE-65612NL + FREE Shipping costs US $2.30 
biggrin.gif

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4PCS-Transformer-PULSE-DIP-4-PE-65612NL-/251019403380

10PCS Transformer PULSE DIP-4 PE-65612 PE-65612NL + FREE Shipping costs US $4.86
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10PCS-Transformer-PULSE-DIP-4-PE-65612-PE-65612NL-/121267766252

DA 101 C Murata Power Solutions Transformer, DADT, 1.00 - 1.59 Mh costs ​
EUR 3.65 + Shipping EUR 5.11  (1PCS!!!!) = EUR 8.74
http://www.ebay.es/itm/DA101C-MURATA-Stromlosungen-Transformator-DADT-1-00-1-59Mh-/131296942891?pt=Bauteile&hash=item1e91e85b2b

Burmeister it's Hi-End device,minimum of compromises, and for me using Murata galvanic isolator in digital output it is a quality indicator!

Nov 9, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #197 of 3,700
Interesting moment:
[COLOR=333333]5PCS Transformer PULSE DIP-4 PE-65612NL + FREE Shipping costs [/COLOR]US $2.30 
:D
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4PCS-Transformer-PULSE-DIP-4-PE-65612NL-/251019403380

[COLOR=333333]10PCS Transformer PULSE DIP-4 PE-65612 PE-65612NL[/COLOR][COLOR=333333] + FREE Shipping costs [/COLOR]US $4.86

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10PCS-Transformer-PULSE-DIP-4-PE-65612-PE-65612NL-/121267766252

DA 101 C Murata Power Solutions Transformer, DADT, 1.00 - 1.59 Mh costs 
EUR 3.65 + Shipping 
[COLOR=333333]EUR 5.11  (1PCS!!!!) = EUR 8.74[/COLOR]
http://www.ebay.es/itm/DA101C-MURATA-Stromlosungen-Transformator-DADT-1-00-1-59Mh-/131296942891?pt=Bauteile&hash=item1e91e85b2b

Burmeister it's Hi-End device,minimum of compromises, and for me using Murata galvanic isolator in digital output it is a quality indicator!
Ok already! The Murata is the greatest piece of audio engineering ever. Any device not using it should be used as a boat anchor. Are you happy now? Can we move on? Anything else to add about the Gustard?

Nov 9, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #198 of 3,700
  Got my U12 today,but I get a "jittery" timefault sound with pops,trumphets sound like they had wahwa pedals.
I used the drivers that came on the cd.
Whats wrong?

So I got it working,by taking the USB signal from another USB connector on the otherside of the laptop.
But that means that I cannot use my "nice cable"that is to short...
how come there´s such a difference between the USB connections and what to do about it?

Nov 9, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #199 of 3,700

So I got it working,by taking the USB signal from another USB connector on the otherside of the laptop.
But that means that I cannot use my "nice cable"that is to short...
how come there´s such a difference between the USB connections and what to do about it?

laptops suck!  Seriously though, I have friends who's laptops just lose USB ports over time.  I recall that happening to early ITX motherboards as well, but never mini-ATX or larger.

I've also seen USB interfaces fail when used with USB extension cables inline, and to recover you just remove+reinsert the USB cable.

In 2015 Intel will release 14nm processor making possible a fanless NUC so resist upgrading your stuff on cyber monday.  This will be the ultimate platform for audiophiles -- silent, low latency, fits in your pocket.  Add a 1TB Samsung mSATA and you won't even need a media server.

Nov 9, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #200 of 3,700
laptops suck!  Seriously though, I have friends who's laptops just lose USB ports over time.  I recall that happening to early ITX motherboards as well, but never mini-ATX or larger.

I've also seen USB interfaces fail when used with USB extension cables inline, and to recover you just remove+reinsert the USB cable.

In 2015 Intel will release 14nm processor making possible a fanless NUC so resist upgrading your stuff on cyber monday.  This will be the ultimate platform for audiophiles -- silent, low latency, fits in your pocket.  Add a 1TB Samsung mSATA and you won't even need a media server.
Good advice! Thanks

Nov 10, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #201 of 3,700
Is it safe to converse again?  I'm only now seeing the last two pages of posts -- only notified when I'm quoted.  It looks like tornado of bad energy stomped on my Gustard.

Alexander and his translator are this hilarious side act (I'm guessing Japanese to English)
rb's reaction cracked me up

Quote:
Ok already! The Murata is the greatest piece of audio engineering ever. Any device not using it should be used as a boat anchor. Are you happy now? Can we move on? Anything else to add about the Gustard?

Did anybody get this letter with their Gustard?

Chinese to English translator is no better

Nov 14, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #203 of 3,700
So whats the general opinion of these at this point?

I picked up a U12 from ebay to replace my Yulong U18, which was nothing but problems.
Initial impressions are quite a bit more resolution at various frequiencies (Things seem stronger, yet clearer?) and much more detailed highs.  The music seems a bit brighter with the Gustard and less laid back.  
I'm currently using the stock drivers.  So far it seems like a very good price/performance product.  I can't afford to spend $4-500+ on just a usb interface.

Gustard U12 > Yulong D100 (rev1) > Schiit Lyr/Matrix M-Stage
Running Windows 8.1 currently.  My DPC latency using LatencyMon seems to have gone from ~180-200us (Yulong U18) on average down to ~55-60 (Gustard U12).  Weird.
Definitely sounds better than the older usb interface built into the D100.

With the Yulong U18, I tried both old and new drivers, also with and without the external power supply.  I would almost always end up with either occasional popping sounds, stream corruption (robot/metallic noises), or just a complete lock up of the transport itself.  

Nov 14, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #204 of 3,700
The U10 had the laid back sound that was more spread out all over the place
At first listen the U12's brightness was pretty bad.
After a friend burned it in for a couple days it came back with focus instead of brightness, which I'm very pleased with.

If I had the D100 I'd probably roll the dice on a Valab/Gustard X10 instead of pairing the D100 with a U12.

Nov 15, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #205 of 3,700
So whats the general opinion of these at this point?

I picked up a U12 from ebay to replace my Yulong U18, which was nothing but problems.
Initial impressions are quite a bit more resolution at various frequiencies (Things seem stronger, yet clearer?) and much more detailed highs.  The music seems a bit brighter with the Gustard and less laid back.  
I'm currently using the stock drivers.  So far it seems like a very good price/performance product.  I can't afford to spend $4-500+ on just a usb interface.

Gustard U12 > Yulong D100 (rev1) > Schiit Lyr/Matrix M-Stage
Running Windows 8.1 currently.  My DPC latency using LatencyMon seems to have gone from ~180-200us (Yulong U18) on average down to ~55-60 (Gustard U12).  Weird.
Definitely sounds better than the older usb interface built into the D100.

With the Yulong U18, I tried both old and new drivers, also with and without the external power supply.  I would almost always end up with either occasional popping sounds, stream corruption (robot/metallic noises), or just a complete lock up of the transport itself.  
I'm loving the sound of both my U12s in two different systems. They do take a burnin period to settle in. In addition to the greater focus and detail, I notice an ease to the music. More musicality. I had the Musiland 3.0 USB with Aqvox linear ps before. Previous to those, I've had the Audiophileo 2, M2tech Hiface and Evo, John Kenny Mk1 and Mk2 all USB interfaces. My pcs have remained the same throughout. I did use JPlay with the Musilands, Evo, Audiophileo 2. It does not seem compatible with any of the Thesycon drivers. But since the sound has improved I just disabled it. JPlay is a real pain, as it shuts down all extranious pc processes, so can be quite buggy. I'd just as soon not have to use it, and manually shut down processes and set thread priority.

My Chord Silverplus USB cable arrived, will give it a listen today and will report the results vs my other USB cables. Also recieved some ERS shielding, will give use to cover the inside of the U12 cover.

Nov 15, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #206 of 3,700
Odd, I use both JPlay and Fidelizer 6.1 daily without any problem to my Windows OS (8.1).

My Chord SilverPlus USB cable arrived earlier this week.  I promptly swapped out the Lightspeed with it and burned the Chord in for a full 30hrs before giving it a listen.

My initial impression was WoW! that BASS is HUGE....  Problem is throughout my testing that's all I kept thinking.
The bass is quite pronounced with this cable and had a tendency to call attention to itself in my setup.  I was constantly made aware that I have a sub woofer in my system.   I suppose in a setup that lacks some bottom end, the Chord SilverPlus could be a good thing.
In my system its a case of "too much of a good thing".   My setup is calibrated flat below 500Hz so I can definitely here these differences.

As for the mids and top end, the Chord fared well and is in general a pleasant cable to listen to.  It's a very good cable for the asking price of $125 USD (1.5m) and in fact sonically plays well above that price point. 
That said, it does not quite reach the sonic capabilities of the Light Harmonic Lightspeed.  The Lightspeed is more natural sounding top to bottom and has a more realistic sense of imaging. It captures sound stage depth noticeably better than the SilverPlus. The Lightspeed also plays louder before the mids become strident, edgy, and start to fall apart. In fact I've never heard at what point this happens with the Lighspeed because my ears give out before then
basshead.gif

I like the Chord SilverPlus well enough, but the light Harmonic Lightspeed is still my reference USB cable.

Nov 15, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #207 of 3,700
  Odd, I use both JPlay and Fidelizer 6.1 daily without any problem to my Windows OS (8.1).

My Chord SilverPlus USB cable arrived earlier this week.  I promptly swapped out the Lightspeed with it and burned the Chord in for a full 30hrs before giving it a listen.

My initial impression was WoW! that BASS is HUGE....  Problem is throughout my testing that's all I kept thinking.
The bass is quite pronounced with this cable and had a tendency to call attention to itself in my setup.  I was constantly made aware that I have a sub woofer in my system.   I suppose in a setup that lacks some bottom end, the Chord SilverPlus could be a good thing.
In my system its a case of "too much of a good thing".   My setup is calibrated flat below 500Hz so I can definitely here these differences.

As for the mids and top end, the Chord fared well and is in general a pleasant cable to listen to.  It's a very good cable for the asking price of $125 USD (1.5m) and in fact sonically plays well above that price point. 
That said, it does not quite reach the sonic capabilities of the Light Harmonic Lightspeed.  The Lightspeed is more natural sounding top to bottom and has a more realistic sense of imaging. It captures sound stage depth noticeably better than the SilverPlus. The Lightspeed also plays louder before the mids become strident, edgy, and start to fall apart. In fact I've never heard at what point this happens with the Lighspeed because my ears give out before then
basshead.gif

I like the Chord SilverPlus well enough, but the light Harmonic Lightspeed is still my reference USB cable.

Good review - The Chord may need a bit more burn in - possibly another 100 hrs.  Mine is burning in as we speak.  

I may just have to reinstall JPlay and tweek it a bit to get it work.  But what I'm hearing now is so good, I'm not in a mood to mess with it, well software wise. 
wink_face.gif

PS Edit In both my systems I removed the subwoofers.  One a Velodyne DD-10 and the other a Velodyne Optimum 8, as the bass was doing quite well without them after swapping these rare '75 6n23p tubes.  In one system I have Maggie 1.6QRs not known to shake a room and in my other a pr of monitor Reference 3a Dulcet References - same deal.  A little extra down low might not be a bad thing for my system.  Although the Velodyne's have this very trick DSP integration system with their own calibrated microphone and parametric equalizer, I found it very hard to maintain the tonal purity in the bass with them in.

Nov 16, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #208 of 3,700
  Good review - The Chord may need a bit more burn in - possibly another 100 hrs.  Mine is burning in as we speak.  

I may just have to reinstall JPlay and tweek it a bit to get it work.  But what I'm hearing now is so good, I'm not in a mood to mess with it, well software wise. 
wink_face.gif

PS Edit In both my systems I removed the subwoofers.  One a Velodyne DD-10 and the other a Velodyne Optimum 8, as the bass was doing quite well without them after swapping these rare '75 6n23p tubes.  In one system I have Maggie 1.6QRs not known to shake a room and in my other a pr of monitor Reference 3a Dulcet References - same deal.  A little extra down low might not be a bad thing for my system.  Although the Velodyne's have this very trick DSP integration system with their own calibrated microphone and parametric equalizer, I found it very hard to maintain the tonal purity in the bass with them in.

Possibly, however two things stand out:  1. This is a used cable (Albeit in excellent condition), so it probably shouldn't require a full burn-in period.  2. I don't think I've heard any cable to date that sounded bassy fresh out of the box. Generally speaking most tend to sound a little lean and confused at first, then fill out over the burn-in period.

The Lightspeed itself is something of a unique cable in that it truly does need well over 200hrs (300+ is recommended) to get the best out of it. Can't say I've heard another cable that took so long to burn in... but the wait was definitely worth it!

I'm not saying the Chord is bad...  It just wasn't the best match for my particular system and listening tastes.

I'm curious to hear your review of the Chord and how well it integrates itself into your two systems.  I have no doubt that the extra bottom end oomph will help out your Maggies a bit.

Nov 16, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #209 of 3,700
  Possibly, however two things stand out:  1. This is a used cable (Albeit in excellent condition), so it probably shouldn't require a full burn-in period.  2. I don't think I've heard any cable to date that sounded bassy fresh out of the box. Generally speaking most tend to sound a little lean and confused at first, then fill out over the burn-in period.

The Lightspeed itself is something of a unique cable in that it truly does need well over 200hrs (300+ is recommended) to get the best out of it. Can't say I've heard another cable that took so long to burn in... but the wait was definitely worth it!

I'm not saying the Chord is bad...  It just wasn't the best match for my particular system and listening tastes.

I'm curious to hear your review of the Chord and how well it integrates itself into your two systems.  I have no doubt that the extra bottom end oomph will help out your Maggies a bit.

Good point about it being a used cable.  Digital cables in my experience take longer to burn-in.  One theory is that's due to the low level signal, versus ic's.  I'll put up some thoughts on them after a another few days burnin.  Like you. I'm a big fan of natural tone, being an acoustic guitar player I've got a sense of what a nature tone should sound like.  It's harder to reproduce then most people think.  Same goes for the imaging thing.  The Maggie's are the best imaging speaker I've had (And I've more then a few- including the $26K Talon Firebird Diamonds), truly life sized imaging, with a wrap-around sensation.  It kinda spooks me sometimes, especially at night in a dimly lit room.  They have really good transparency and micro dynamic snap.

Nov 17, 2014 at 5:28 AM Post #210 of 3,700
Hi,

I changed to 
DA 101 C Murata Power Solutions Transformer and power caps to Panasonic FC's and can say that was ​
significantly improvement! I got lower noise, more pleasent detailed sound. So only recomend to change first transformers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back