Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Nov 17, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #211 of 3,700
  Hi,

I changed to 
DA 101 C Murata Power Solutions Transformer and power caps to Panasonic FC's and can say that was ​
significantly improvement! I got lower noise, more pleasent detailed sound. So only recomend to change first transformers!

I see you just joined today - welcome to the thread!   Thanks for the post

PS Edit - Do you have any pictures -that would be helpful. Thanks in advance. 
wink_face.gif

Nov 18, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #214 of 3,700
Well had a chance to give the Chord SilverPlus USB cable a good listen last night.  At first, I didn't like it.  It seemed to have removed some of the excellent detail of the Synergistic Research Tesla USB.  A sort of muffling of the crisp detail and clarity of the SR.  But after listening more, it began to grow on me.  It did something on the vocals really pleasing, not better then the SR but slightly different.  Very smooth and flowing.  The bass was excellent - deep and well defined.  Again an equal to the SR, not better.

I'll give it a few weeks listening, then switch back to the SR Tesla, to see how it compares in reverse.

The Tesla is much more expensive - so for the money the Chord is a great value.

Nov 20, 2014 at 7:22 AM Post #215 of 3,700
"The Tesla is much more expensive - so for the money the Chord is a great value."

Yes I agree.  Nice cable for the the money to be sure. 
When you have a system that's truly capable of resolving fine detail, The most subtle changes can often make a noticeable difference. 
That said, it's always best to refer back to what you had before because sometimes those differences aren't a good thing.

I initially liked the Chord for what it did in the midrange, even though it didn't seem to resolve fine detail quite as well as the Lightspeed.
But it wasn't untill I put the Lightspeed back into the system after hearing the Chord for a couple of days, that it became obvious the Lightspeed is a class above.

Now, don't get me into the argument of why the Lightspeed cost's 10x more than the Chord...  That's just something I'll never quite understand about the audio electronics industry? (about many industries really...) 
angry_face.gif

As for the U12, well it isn't going anywhere any time soon. 
Last week I made a Faraday cage of sorts using Stillpoints ERS fabric to seal off the power components from the digital side.
Didn't take any photo's (should have), but the results were well worth the 20 minutes of my time.  The U12 resolves even more subtle detail now, with a nice improvement in the overall tone.

Nov 20, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #217 of 3,700
  "The Tesla is much more expensive - so for the money the Chord is a great value."

Yes I agree.  Nice cable for the the money to be sure. 
When you have a system that's truly capable of resolving fine detail, The most subtle changes can often make a noticeable difference. 
That said, it's always best to refer back to what you had before because sometimes those differences aren't a good thing.

I initially liked the Chord for what it did in the midrange, even though it didn't seem to resolve fine detail quite as well as the Lightspeed.
But it wasn't until I put the Lightspeed back into the system after hearing the Chord for a couple of days, that it became obvious the Lightspeed is a class above.

Now, don't get me into the argument of why the Lightspeed cost's 10x more than the Chord...  That's just something I'll never quite understand about the audio electronics industry? (about many industries really...) 
angry_face.gif

As for the U12, well it isn't going anywhere any time soon. 
Last week I made a Faraday cage of sorts using Stillpoints ERS fabric to seal off the power components from the digital side.
Didn't take any photo's (should have), but the results were well worth the 20 minutes of my time.  The U12 resolves even more subtle detail now, with a nice improvement in the overall tone.

+1  I put the SR Tesla Tricon back in last night - it was better.  The clarity, focus, incisiveness, detail all returned.  This improved the sound staging - giving a better 'hanging in space' projection to the music.  Small details became more readily apparent.  It's funny how you get accustomed to a musical signature and your mind really dials into it.

Since I recapped my amp over the Summer, replacing 3prs of Mundorf MKP film caps with Mundorf Silver/Gold/Oil the transparency has really improved.  The Gustard took it further.  This is the sound I dreamed about 20 yrs ago.  Completely realistic and natural - life sized performers in my listening room.

I liked what the ERS shielding did as well.  I also replaced the stock pc with a Shunyata Venom - very marginal improvement - probably not  worth the $75 cost.

Nov 22, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #219 of 3,700
Hello all! Just found this thread and had a few questions...

I just bought a used Yamaha RX-Z9 A/V receiver for use in my desktop setup with my PC. I was looking at USB receivers to feed into the Z9 and the Gustand U12 came on the radar.   I currently own a Stoner UD120 DAC which is a nice DAC, but some people have advised to use the DAC in the Z9 (BB1972's).  How would the Gustard compare to something like the iFi Nano DSD, which is about the same price (and offers another DAC for DSD use).  Thanks for any input!

Nov 22, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #221 of 3,700
  Hello all! Just found this thread and had a few questions...

I just bought a used Yamaha RX-Z9 A/V receiver for use in my desktop setup with my PC. I was looking at USB receivers to feed into the Z9 and the Gustand U12 came on the radar.   I currently own a Stoner UD120 DAC which is a nice DAC, but some people have advised to use the DAC in the Z9 (BB1972's).  How would the Gustard compare to something like the iFi Nano DSD, which is about the same price (and offers another DAC for DSD use).  Thanks for any input!

Looks like a nice little unit!  I haven't heard it but looks very interesting.  Uses the XMOS processor.  The biggest difference is it's battery ps vs the AC supply on the Gustard U 12.

Here's a good review - but you'll need to do a Google translate as it's in German.

http://www.audio-creative.nl/hifi/ifi-nano-idsd/2/

Edit PS - It can also be used for an on the go HP amp.  Price is reasonable at $189 on Amazon
Edit Edit - It looks like I might be saying goodby to my current USB /HP amp portable solution the Musiland 3.0 US

Here's another good review in English http://www.audiostream.com/content/ifi-nano-idsd-dacheadphone-amp

Nov 22, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #222 of 3,700
I wonder if I just utilized the iFi nano for its the xmos receiver and used the coaxial out to my Z9, would I still be able to play DSD?  I assume not, but just wanted to ask.

Edit: Nevermind - just saw in the manual that SPDIF does not support DSD

Nov 22, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #223 of 3,700
  I wonder if I just utilized the iFi nano for its the xmos receiver and used the coaxial out to my Z9, would I still be able to play DSD?  I assume not, but just wanted to ask.

Edit: Nevermind - just saw in the manual that SPDIF does not support DSD

It's unlikely your Z9 would be able to decode DSD anyway.  With my PC I can play DSD files through Foobar - but they are converted to PCM.  You would need a DAC that can process native DSD - the Gustard will pass through an uncoverted DSD signal - but again needs a DAC to accept it.

I have a heavily modded (everything replaced but the drive) Denon CD/SACD player done by APL (super trick 6 AKM 32-bit DACs per channel/tube output/custom Lundahl transformer coupling/Super Clock, etc...) and I like the DSD sound - but it's not that big a deal.  SACD DSD files sound great played through Foobar into this same unit (also acts like a DAC).

More important - how does it sound on PCM - especailly as a PC interface.  I like the battery buffer concept - except every one I have heard in the past lacked dynamics.  I wonder if this is different. Also I wonder what kind of PC control software and drivers it comes with.  The Gustard's work great and have a balance control I find very useful.

Nov 23, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #224 of 3,700
  Jamiee/rb2013

Is it a coincidence that both of you are using ERS?  And if not, who started it?
Is it only made by stillpoints?

Stillpoints ERS is a great product.  I use both the tape and non-adhesive backed sheets (which can be taped into place if needed).

There are of course other similar products on the market, even some that are more effective. However Stillpoints ERS is super easy to work and experiment with and typically yields good results for the $$.

Nov 25, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #225 of 3,700
  Great 6moons review of the Light Harmonic USB cable.  Really goes deep into the actual process of 2.0 Asyn USB transmission and conversion.

http://6moons.com/audioreviews/lightharmonic/1.html

Yup it is a very very good cable indeed. 

Shocker of a story........  I actually bought mine from Amazon.com of all places!
Honestly -  Amazon had the best price on the Lightspeed that I could find anywhere at the time and they also stocked the various lengths and configurations.

[EDIT]  Just checked and they still have them
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back