Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Nov 26, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #226 of 3,700

Yup it is a very very good cable indeed. 

Shocker of a story........  I actually bought mine from Amazon.com of all places!
Honestly -  Amazon had the best price on the Lightspeed that I could find anywhere at the time and they also stocked the various lengths and configurations.

[EDIT]  Just checked and they still have them
wink_face.gif

Yes - $999 Och!  But would love to hear one.  Pretty happy now with my Tesla Tricon USB and Stilpoint Poseidon Silver.

To bad the Chord didn't unseat them.

Nov 29, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #227 of 3,700
Thinking about jumping on one of these to upgrade my USB interface. Anyone had a chance to compare this to a Audio-GD digital interface? Anyone thinking about passing theirs along? Seems like they've hit a low price of $150 on the bay. 

Nov 29, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #228 of 3,700
  Thinking about jumping on one of these to upgrade my USB interface. Anyone had a chance to compare this to a Audio-GD digital interface? Anyone thinking about passing theirs along? Seems like they've hit a low price of $150 on the bay. 

Someone over on the Lyr tube rolling thread mentioned the Audio-GD digital.  Very nice unit!  Also AC powered.  May give it a try someday.  http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/DI2014/DI2014EN.htm

$300 with TXCO

Nov 29, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #229 of 3,700

Someone over on the Lyr tube rolling thread mentioned the Audio-GD digital.  Very nice unit!  Also AC powered.  May give it a try someday.  http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/DI2014/DI2014EN.htm

$300 with TXCO

They are very good units. I actually have one of the older versions of this unit I was thinking about upgrading, but I was hoping someone might have had the chance to compare the Gustard unit to one of these. With shipping and all, the Audio-GD unit comes out to be over twice as much 
eek.gif

Nov 30, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #230 of 3,700
Audio-GD Digital did look like a good choice but then i saw it price, and ran away tightly holding my wallet in my hand, as it was more then i afford, let alone spend on a converter. Which how I ended up with a Peachtree X1 usb to spdif converter since it was the more affordable option for me. With my Bifrost non-usb uber,Of course I had to get a USB y cable to supply more power to it. As by it self one with a normal usb cable wasn't doing it justice, til I used that cable which solved the sound being funky issue. Now works great, but only if your usb plug can supply enough power to it, or I sure a powered hub would had worked other then the Usb type B one male to two male type A cable.  I bet that audio Digital does perform very well like Audio-gd products do as I had a couple of Audio-gd products my self.

Nov 30, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #231 of 3,700

They are very good units. I actually have one of the older versions of this unit I was thinking about upgrading, but I was hoping someone might have had the chance to compare the Gustard unit to one of these. With shipping and all, the Audio-GD unit comes out to be over twice as much 
eek.gif

Did the older one have a separate powers supply?  Do you know what kind of chip it uses for conversion?  I believe I read somewhere it was a custom DSP.

Nov 30, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #232 of 3,700

eek.gif

Did the older one have a separate powers supply?  Do you know what kind of chip it uses for conversion?  I believe I read somewhere it was a custom DSP.

The older ones had the option of adding in a power supply, which most people did. I believe they used either the TE7022 or TE8802 (DIV1 and DIV2) chips. 

Nov 30, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #233 of 3,700

The older ones had the option of adding in a power supply, which most people did. I believe they used either the TE7022 or TE8802 (DIV1 and DIV2) chips. 

Thanks for the info - would like to do a head-to-head comparison with the Gustard U12.  But I can hardly believe it could be better - but I always say that!

The Gustard is really, really good.

Dec 9, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #235 of 3,700
Hello all.

Recently grab the U12 at local dealer. I was dreaming on Sotm (1.2K$) or even BADA USB (1.8k$) but I decided that it is excessive comparing to my track:

Pc+ Matrix X-Sabre + Exposure 3010s2 Int + KefR300
Matrix Quattro Amp + Sennheiser HD650 (Silver cable)+Denon AH-D7100
Wires: DH Labs Pro Studio, Kimber Kable Tonik, Analysis-Plus Oval 12
Power: FluxLabs 1700/500/200 Watt + Oyaide power wires (3x Tunami,FS 2.6)

So I understand that i need to upgrade KEFr300 for PMC or other more sensitive acoustics before investing into expensive dacs and convertors.

Whats on Gustard U12. Its a wonderful piece of equipment. It brings more clarity and makes the sound more analogue and legible. I didnt make a straight comparison of the sound w/ or w/o U12 but yesterday evening i was enjoying my collection. The sound was sweet and soft, mitigating Matrix-Sabre edges.

Im still using crappy stock power cord, but will chnage it to Isotec Premium soon and Im using Audio-Technica Art link Coax cable to connect U12 and Matrix-Sabre.

Here are some questions:

Did anybody compare U12 to Sotm?
Is it worth to install some advanced USB card into PC like Sotm USB card? Btw U12 filters USB noise from USB quite well.

Dec 9, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #236 of 3,700
Hello all.

Recently grab the U12 at local dealer. I was dreaming on Sotm (1.2K$) or even BADA USB (1.8k$) but I decided that it is excessive comparing to my track:

Pc+ Matrix X-Sabre + Exposure 3010s2 Int + KefR300
Matrix Quattro Amp + Sennheiser HD650 (Silver cable)+Denon AH-D7100
Wires: DH Labs Pro Studio, Kimber Kable Tonik, Analysis-Plus Oval 12
Power: FluxLabs 1700/500/200 Watt + Oyaide power wires (3x Tunami,FS 2.6)

So I understand that i need to upgrade KEFr300 for PMC or other more sensitive acoustics before investing into expensive dacs and convertors.

Whats on Gustard U12. Its a wonderful piece of equipment. It brings more clarity and makes the sound more analogue and legible. I didnt make a straight comparison of the sound w/ or w/o U12 but yesterday evening i was enjoying my collection. The sound was sweet and soft, mitigating Matrix-Sabre edges.

Im still using crappy stock power cord, but will chnage it to Isotec Premium soon and Im using Audio-Technica Art link Coax cable to connect U12 and Matrix-Sabre.

Here are some questions:

Did anybody compare U12 to Sotm?
Is it worth to install some advanced USB card into PC like Sotm USB card? Btw U12 filters USB noise from USB quite well.

Great to hear you like the sound of the Gustard U12 - I'm enjoy mine as well.  I had a Sotm USB card - and used it in conjunction with the Musiland 3.0.  It really was marginal in terms of improving the Musiland once I used the Aqvox linear PS.  I still use Sotm filters on the one CPU fan and  hard drives in my music server.

http://www.sotm-audio.com.au/product/sotm-sata-filter-ii/

Dec 10, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #237 of 3,700
Great to hear you like the sound of the Gustard U12 - I'm enjoy mine as well.  I had a Sotm USB card - and used it in conjunction with the Musiland 3.0.  It really was marginal in terms of improving the Musiland once I used the Aqvox linear PS.  I still use Sotm filters on the one CPU fan and  hard drives in my music server.

http://www.sotm-audio.com.au/product/sotm-sata-filter-ii/

Sotm usb 3.0 exp card is 2x pricey to Gustard U12. So considering the price and its marginal effect I should find another arguments to buy it.

Dec 11, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #239 of 3,700
I also had issue with my PC server recognizing the card - sometimes it would and someties not.  My PC server is an iCore 5 with Windows 7 64bit

Sounds like not a bargain... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back