Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
May 1, 2015 at 5:32 AM Post #1,396 of 3,700
Damn, that 0.4 dBa in noise level and 2dB in stereo crosstalk is sure to make a significant improvement! 
biggrin.gif

Joking aside, the galvanic isolation would be the biggest draw for me. 
wink.gif

May 2, 2015 at 4:02 AM Post #1,398 of 3,700
  Hi, look like some of us already got their MX-U8.
So, how's the sound when compare to U12 ??

I am not good at describing sound impression in words (particularly in foreign languages).  rb2013 has already written his first impression.  I would say "more elegant" than U12.

MX-U8 sound has not changed so drastically after burn-in.  All of you know that U12 needs 100 hours.
My first comparison was PCM 44.1kHz and 192kHz via AES/EBU.  U12 has reached a certain level but MX-U8 describes more in details.
Then I switched from AES/EBU to I2S on MX-U8, which resulted in less lively sound.  But later, I found I2S more subtle than AES/EBU.
Now I fix my connection of MX-U8 via I2S only.

My motivation to buy MX-U8 was its I2S output both for PCM and DSD direct.
However, there occurs a channel mix (not channel swap) for DSD files.  PCM playback is correct. Melodious insists that nothing is wrong with their product.
My next step is to get a HDMI LVDS I2S board from Tanly (which I ordered with help of a Chinese from Taobao) and to connect U12 via I2S to see if U12 plays DSD files without channel mix.  Then I will be able to identify the cause, whether it lies in MX-U8 or in my DAC.  I made a cable by myself.  It consists of 4 cables (DATA, LRCK, BCK, GND) and it is very unlikely that I made a mistake for pin assignment, as PCM playback is correct.  DSD playback via the built-in USB-I2S board in my DAC is also correct.

I was the first one to introduce MX-U8 to this forum, but cannot recommend this product until the above-mentiond DSD issue has been solved.  If there is anybody who owns MX-U8 and a DAC with I2S/DSD direct input (not via HDMI LVDS I2S), I want to know whether channel mix in DSD happens.

May 2, 2015 at 6:28 AM Post #1,400 of 3,700
For some reasons, I've encountered couple of MX-U8s. For the exterior, they changed its feet and USB input from silver to golden, and both of the lids are still secured in a very tightr fashion.
When it comes to musical playback, if the resolution of the treble reachs certain level, airy would emerge. I am so surprised I could hear airy from the playback of MX-U8, I must admit MX-U8 presented a much higher resolution than I expect.
Perhaps I paired Driver Version 2.26 to the second one that I tested, the resolution was even stronger. I've raised this query to Mr.Liu today, and expecting his confirmation.

For fair and even comparsion, we shall well aware their recommended retail price:
Gustard U12 = RMB750.
Melodious Audio = RMB1,200.

May 2, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #1,401 of 3,700
I had my MX-U8 i2S configured by Mr. Liu to match my Audio GD Master 7.... worked perfectly right out of the box, and drivers rock solid with JPlay 5x. I am using a cheap 0.3m CAT7 cable. I only have about 30 hours on these pieces, but sound quality is beyond my expectations so far. I checked channels R/L are OK, but I do not have any direct DSD capability. I can start the MX-U8 with no 5V power in the USB cable (it is too early to check SQ comparisons with/without the 5V).

I have a stock U12 also that I will try to make a comparison and also a new Audio-GD DI-2014, but this will take at least a month....

May 2, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #1,404 of 3,700
Thanks to you guys on the Tanly tip, I have just purchased one for review purposes. Tam at Tanly has been most gracious and I hope to get some interesting personal information from him - his background, design philosophy and some specifics on his design choices. That kind of stuff is fascinating to me and makes me appreciate an audio component above and beyond the price/performance analysis. I will have my Gustard U12 on hand for direct comparison and may possibly have the MX-U8 as well. I am intending to write this up for PF, but will share some of my impressions right here with the crew of the SS Gustard. Thanks again guys for the sleuthing and the insightful discourse.

May 3, 2015 at 6:37 AM Post #1,407 of 3,700

Quote:

I will try to make cable today and test, but, PCB U12 needs ground, so using GND IEC320 and connect to USB Chassis connector

Today I opened my U12 again and soldered a wire from GROUNDPIN IEC320 inlet to NEGATIVE lead of one of the Panasonic FC's, which is GROUND for whole U12 circuit.
Then i cut GROUND and black NEGATIVE wire from USB cable at PC-side.

This works! So, now we have clean ground (i have mainsfilter and ground is "clean"), no ground noise from PC, and 5V wire is only used for turning on relay U12.
No need for batterypower anymore 
bigsmile_face.gif

Again, more airy, more black around voices, bigger wider soundstage.

Cheers 
beerchug.gif

Alex

May 3, 2015 at 6:47 AM Post #1,408 of 3,700
I am still waiting for my MX-U8 (which is at customs at The Netherlands) to arrive, hope I receive it next week so I can compare stock MX-U8 with my heavily modded U12.

May 3, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #1,409 of 3,700

Today I opened my U12 again and soldered a wire from GROUNDPIN IEC320 inlet to NEGATIVE lead of one of the Panasonic FC's, which is GROUND for whole U12 circuit.
Then i cut GROUND and black NEGATIVE wire from USB cable at PC-side.

This works! So, now we have clean ground (i have mainsfilter and ground is "clean"), no ground noise from PC, and 5V wire is only used for turning on relay U12.
No need for batterypower anymore 
bigsmile_face.gif

Again, more airy, more black around voices, bigger wider soundstage.

Cheers 
beerchug.gif

Alex

Maestro,

Congratulations on your new finding, this must be the greatest ever open up for Gustard U12. 

Cheers  
beerchug.gif

Riemann

Users who are viewing this thread

Back