Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Jan 28, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #3,541 of 3,700
  @rb2013
Do those speakers really need subwoofers? 

Well the Talon Firebirds have 11inch Focal woofers and 300lb composite cabinets - they have excellent bass - but I had them placed 6 ft from the back wall.  As with any speaker the further from the rear wall the less bass room re-enforcement.  So the twin Velodyne DD-12s did the trick.  The DD-12's have a unique in room tuning system.  A built in tone generator and comes with a high quality mic.  Using an active parametric eq - you can pretty much elminate any room nodes - and smoothly intregrate with the main speakers. So for the 100Hz to 10Hz range the Velodynes were killer good.  1500 watt amps built into each.  On drum transients would rattle the dishes in the kitchen on the floor above.  Wifey loved that!

Jan 28, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #3,542 of 3,700
  Where did you buy it from?

The Breeze store on Aliexpress seems like the best place, but I can't report back yet as my unit was delayed by the storm that hit the (US) east coast. Should be delivered tomorrow.

Actually, it looks like they aren't accepting orders anymore...maybe they're closed in preparations for the Chinese New Year? Anyway, here's a link: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Breeze-audio-Best-pure-USB-decoder-XMOS-U8-DU-U8-DAC-Asynchronous-USB-coax-fiber-XMOS/32499738639.html

Edit: I paid $123 shipped for the Talema version. Hope it isn't defective!

Maybe QC issues?

Jan 28, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #3,543 of 3,700
I found the duu8 at that link but also noticed it hasn't been for sale for quite some time.
I have not received any reply from the seller either.
I would really like to have a breeze to test and mod.
Doesn't rb2013 have two? Maybe you could sell me one?
smily_headphones1.gif
you're happy with the pro3a right?
I will likely pass it on after I've tested t fairly and modded it too

Or if you can't find one for sale stateside, you could potentially borrow mine (assuming it arrives and isn't defective). We can maybe even arrange a local pickup when I'm in your neck of the woods in 3 weeks, and you can keep it for a month while I'm on my honeymoon. PM if you're interested.

Jan 28, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #3,544 of 3,700
I found the duu8 at that link but also noticed it hasn't been for sale for quite some time.
I have not received any reply from the seller either.
I would really like to have a breeze to test and mod.
Doesn't rb2013 have two? Maybe you could sell me one?
smily_headphones1.gif
you're happy with the pro3a right?
I will likely pass it on after I've tested t fairly and modded it too

Hi, I have two but one is with the Bingzi transformer (as the pioneer on this unit - wasn't even aware back then they made a Talema verison), and the other Talema.  I will keep the Talema to do some modding on.  So you can buy the Bingzi version - PM for price.  If not I'll just keep it for some other mods like cap rolling.

I still think a modded Breeze may be the killer of killer great DDC's.  Not much to mod on the DXIO - except better LPS power supplies and maybe a better SPDIF coax RCA connector (I have a WBT NexGen Cu for that)

Jan 28, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #3,545 of 3,700
Well, my Breeze arrived today. Doesn't seem to work at all via AES. Really bummed. Does anyone have any ideas about what could be wrong?

Peeled a 110 v sticker off the back, so I hope that was set correctly. No popping or anything when I plugged it in.

Power and USB lights on the front come on and my computer (Macbook Pro) recognizes it, but my DAC (vintage Theta Pro Basic III) doesn't recognize it and no sound plays. I don't have a coax cable, but I guess I could buy one and check that output.

Edit: I'm playing 44.1 kHz via spotify, JRiver, iTunes, etc. These all work fine with the Gustard U12 via AES to the DAC.

Edit2: The problem seems to occur as soon as the USB cord is plugged in. Optical out is glowing and the DAC says it's locked onto the AES signal until the USB cable is plugged into the computer.

Final edit: It appears the problem was in software. I'm not sure what exactly I did to fix it, but it works now.

Jan 28, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #3,546 of 3,700
where is the best source to get a breeze duu8. the one I ordered was defective. crackles and pops. 
i'm returning it, but would like to pay less. Anybody?

I have got mine from this guy, could test aes with xrl audio cable and toslink just to see if they work and let you know if you want. Don't have an rca cable either but again could try an audio cable, should not sound great but should work as well. Have just used i2s so far and works fine. The dac has to be turned on first in my setup for everything to work properly with i2s.

This guy sells a lot of diy stuff, so i trust him. Bought from him before.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Top-Asynchronous-XMOS-U8-I2S-audio-usb-device-support-DSD-Digital-audio-system-/262010528369?hash=item3d010b6271:g:0xsAAOSwyQtV0u-G

Jan 28, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #3,547 of 3,700
I have got mine from this guy, could test aes with xrl audio cable and toslink just to see if they work and let you know if you want. Don't have an rca cable either but again could try an audio cable, should not sound great but should work as well. Have just used i2s so far and works fine. The dac has to be turned on first in my setup for everything to work properly with i2s.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Top-Asynchronous-XMOS-U8-I2S-audio-usb-device-support-DSD-Digital-audio-system-/262010528369?hash=item3d010b6271:g:0xsAAOSwyQtV0u-G

Ok. All inputs are fine, except for xlr, but was tested with an audio cable, had nothing else to try. The others have been tested with proper digital cable. So my guess is that it works too.

Jan 28, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #3,548 of 3,700

That is where I bought mine. He's very good.
Make sure you mention the Talema Upgrade and 120v.

Jan 29, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #3,549 of 3,700
Edit: It seems to work now. I'm not 100% sure what the issues was, but it was definitely software related. I started playing with JRiver, and it seemingly-randomly started to work. Let's hope it stays that way.

Jan 29, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #3,550 of 3,700
  Edit: It seems to work now. I'm not 100% sure what the issues was, but it was definitely software related. I started playing with JRiver, and it seemingly-randomly started to work. Let's hope it stays that way.

Don't be to surprised - PC audio is a mysterious affair at times.  PC's seem to have a mind of their own.  My fall back is 1st close Foobar and reopen.  If that doesn't work Reboot and turn off then on the DDC as the PC is reloading.  Failing that - remove all XMOS drivers - then reboot.  Reload drivers.  If I had a nickel for every Windows reboot I've done - I'd have a free system.

The good new is usually once stable it seems to stay that way - except those darn Melodious's.  Those suckers were all the time having issues - random period of ticking noise, occasional load pops. Some times locking up, etc...Ugg!  And that was with three different units.

Jan 30, 2016 at 1:04 AM Post #3,553 of 3,700
You should do a double blind test with both and report back. Something tells me the ventilated unit will have a more "airy" presentation and better transparency.

will do
I bought the breeze's at the store on aliexpress. I have only tried one and it works fine!

Jan 30, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #3,555 of 3,700
I have to say, all these ddc's have been a big task to take on and nothing has proven to be a good option for me except the diu8 so far. I will acquire a new breeze and see if I have any luck with that. The pro3a is good and bad in some ways. The sound quality as far as details is clearly the champ between the breeze and u12 stock. My modded u12 is closer sounding to the pro3a but without all the glitches which seem to be hardware related. When the pro3a switches freq it makes ever so slight little clicks, personally they are ok by me, but I miss the Amanero, modded u12 and the diu8 with their well polished all around experience. The breeze I can't comment on fully at this point. It played fine on some stuff and on others, not. I felt it was a bit warm to my liking, and hopefully a crystal change will help. The pro3a I am going to sell to whomever wants a deal. The onboard regulators do a much better job at cleaning up the power than I imagined. What does this mean? Save your money on a linear power supply unless you feel spending 150-250 dollars to increase sound quality 1-2% is worth it? It's hardly a bit deal. I can notice, but it wasn't as dramatic as when I modded my u12 with a bellison regulator and fed it straight DC linear power/ gutted the ac and mains entirely. This was more like 10% improvement.
The pro3a is almost perfect , but not. I will sell it to whomever wants a good deal. Pm me. I'm leaning towards the diu8 at this point. NDK's did not install well in the diu8, it wasn't heat that did it but some reason the board didn't like them. I'm going to try 957's next.
I'm pretty sure I'm keeping the diu8, it has a really really nice sound stage and clean 5 psu non feedback design.
My modded u12 is going to go too, with the teradak dc30w, pm me if you are interested and want an excellent HDMI i2s audio gd comparable, uber low noise linear bellison regulator, 957 clocks; Panasonic low esr 3300uF caps, direct DC input. One problem with this u12 is the coax doesn't work, everything else is fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back