Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Jan 27, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #3,526 of 3,700
where did you buy them? I may order again, but my seller sold me a defective breeze...and it was SUPER expensive. would prefer to spend less.

Jan 27, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #3,528 of 3,700

Well phase noise is different then 'time' jitter.  Here is a great SiTime whitepaper that explains:
http://www.sitime.com/support2/documents/AN10007-Jitter-and-measurement.pdf

From the Silabs whitepaper:

http://www.silabs.com/Support%20Documents/TechnicalDocs/Clock-Division-WP.pdf

They raise important issues with measuring phase noise at low frequencies.

So phase noise numbers below say 100Hz should be pretty much ignored.  Notice the outperformance of the CCHD-957 at frequenices above 2.5kHz.  Outperforming many OXCO's.  And well in the audio band.

I have found numbers for the JYEC OEM TXCO:
http://www.diytrade.com/china/pd/5042580/Supply_warming_crystal_TCXO_temperature_OCXO.html

So at say 1kHz the CCHD-957 (22.5792 Mhz) is -148db and at 10kHz -168db, at 100kHz -168db.
http://www.crystek.com/crystal/spec-sheets/clock/CCHD-957.pdf

Funny DIYinHK used to say in their ads that the NDK SD outperformed the 957 at all frequenices of the audible band!  I guess they can't read a log scale.  Many pages ago I argued this point with Alex ad-nauseum.

Oh wait they still do!
http://www.diyinhk.com/shop/audio-kits/35-ndk-nz2520sd-20ppm-ultra-low-phase-noise-oscillator.html
Oh really guys????  Here is the chart they show:
beyersmile.png

Now since decible is a power factor, each -3dB is roughly a halving of the noise.

So the JYEC TXCO vs the CCHD-957 at say 10kHz has a difference of -28dB!!  That is orders and orders of magnitude less noise.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decibel

dB​
power ratio​
amplitude ratio​
100​
  10 000 000 000​
 ​
100 000​
 ​
90​
1 000 000 000​
 ​
31 623​
 ​
80​
100 000 000​
 ​
10 000​
 ​
70​
10 000 000​
 ​
3 162​
 ​
60​
1 000 000​
 ​
1 000​
 ​
50​
100 000​
 ​
316​
.2​
40​
10 000​
 ​
100​
 ​
30​
1 000​
 ​
31​
.62​
20​
100​
 ​
10​
 ​
10​
10​
 ​
3​
.162​
6​
3​
.981​
1​
.995 (~2)​
3​
1​
.995 (~2)​
1​
.413​
1​
1​
.259​
1​
.122​
0​
1​
 ​
1​
 ​
−1​
0​
.794​
0​
.891​
−3​
0​
.501 (~1/2)​
0​
.708​
−6​
0​
.251​
0​
.501 (~1/2)​
−10​
0​
.1​
0​
.316 2​
−20​
0​
.01​
0​
.1​
−30​
0​
.001​
0​
.031 62​
−40​
0​
.000 1​
0​
.01​
−50​
0​
.000 01​
0​
.003 162​
−60​
0​
.000 001​
0​
.001​
−70​
0​
.000 000 1​
0​
.000 316 2​
−80​
0​
.000 000 01​
0​
.000 1​
−90​
0​
.000 000 001​
0​
.000 031 62 ​
  −100​
0​
.000 000 000 1​
0​
.000 01​
An example scale showing power ratios x and amplitude ratios √x and dB equivalents 10 log10 x. It is easier to grasp and compare 2- or 3-digit numbers than to compare up to 10 digits.​

I am very rusted. Studied EE but am a software engineer now. 

I am getting serious about making my own DDC starting from a WaveIO board. Checking for parts on ebay. Can be built for around 200usd with just an i2s output. The WaveIO includes the ndk clocks and galvanic isolation. I would use a nice r-core and 70uv regulator. Probably pass-thru RJ45 and USB connector from Neutrik. Inside, i would just wire a shielded usb cable and RJ45. The usb cable would just have to be plug in 2 sockets, no assembling. Would have to fit a flat cable connector on one end of an rj45 cable i have in hand.

Jan 27, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #3,530 of 3,700

I am getting serious about making my own DDC starting from a WaveIO board. Checking for parts on ebay. Can be built for around 200usd with just an i2s output. The WaveIO includes the ndk clocks and galvanic isolation. I would use a nice r-core and 70uv regulator. Probably pass-thru RJ45 and USB connector from Neutrik. Inside, i would just wire a shielded usb cable and RJ45. The usb cable would just have to be plug in 2 sockets, no assembling. Would have to fit a flat cable connector on one end of an rj45 cable i have in hand.

Keep us updated on this project. I'm thinking the WaveIO as well. Although spdif out for me.

Btw, anybody know if the WaveIO board requires the +5V for initialization??

Jan 27, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #3,531 of 3,700
Keep us updated on this project. I'm thinking the WaveIO as well. Although spdif out for me.

I have no idea.

I will keep you posted. Should not happen before a couple of months however. Am finishing an amp project now. But it looks very promising and i am very motivated to do it.

Jan 27, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #3,532 of 3,700

Yes that looks interesting.   But would maybe go Bimmer's route with Belleson regulators and linear power supply.  It a very nice looking board - reminds of Twisted Pair nice stuff.

Yeah.....it was a joke.

Now I get it - was wondering how vents make it sound better! 
bigsmile_face.gif

Maybe just have it run off a 5VDC external power supply.

Jan 27, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #3,533 of 3,700
The Cerious Graphene interconnect arrived today - a another huge winner!  Cold out of the box at least as good as the incredible Aural Thrills AC Tube BCS interconnects.  SAme amazing transparency and air - with just a tad more bass depth.  Same perfect naturally rich tone.  This runs between my DAC and amp on my main system.

Here is the kicker - I paid $800 for The AT AC Tube BCS IC system about a year ago (a 1.5 meter) - they're now $1000(1 meter).  Then rolled about a half dozen different power cords and 12au7's - they each made a small difference.  Even though the tube only powers the cables shielding - cable works fine with the shield power turned off - even no tube in place and the shield cable connected.  Doesn't sound as good as when tubed and powered though - kinda flatish.  This replaced a long line of IC's I've had in this system including: Nordost Valhalla, Synegistic Research Tesla Apex, Tellurium Q Black, etc...

The Cerious Tech Graphene RCA IC 1.5M lists for $649 - bought it for $250 off one of his ads on Audiogon.  Super bargain.
http://www.auralthrillsaudio.com

This Tube Powered BCS is a reality machine. Compared to my other active cable this is without a doubt the best sounding. As usual it is much more difficult and expensive to make. It uses house voltage to power the shield. It is an actual tube amplifier in all respects including 12.6v filament transformer and 240v power transformer. The AC filament gives it a very rich tube sound. The refined power supply activating the shield adds more space than any other model I make. Besides tube rolling you can also change the power cord on this model giving you the ultimate control.

So how does it sound? Like a cable which is a good tube amplifier instead of the low tech solid state offerings of other companies. Extended highs and lows with imaging that only an active cable can bring.  I dare you to compare this cable to the finest out there. The shield is charged to 80 volts by a 12au7 tube amplifier which is coupled to the signal lines via some specifically manufactured resistors. Musicians step out of your speakers and into your room. Uncanny is the only way to describe it. At times I have been startled by sounds contained in recordings that seemed alive and in my room. Try out your favorite NOS tubes and you will hear the differences just like in amps. Change to your favorite power cord and you will again hear the difference just like in your amp. Nothing else like it.
The signal lines are connected to the shield by a pair of specifically manufactured resistors. What is created is a pseudo balanced interconnect, as the shield is effectively neutral relative to both conductors. Relative to the equipment ground, the shield sees half the signal voltage swing. Einstein would ponder the following question, what if the wires do not know that ground is ground? The results are stunning!
The wire used is the same awesome 22awg used in our Bass Boss cable. I feel this cable has the best balance of highs, lows, bass, and detail. The wire is surrounded by a poly shield which is charged by the output of the tube amplifier.
We need to talk about the importance of a good connector. Most connectors are made of Brass. This is done because brass is easy to cast into the desired shape not because it is a good conductor. Brass is a alloy of Copper and Zinc. Zinc is a terrible conductor of electricity. For that reason we have developed a Brass free Rca conductor which eliminates Brass form the signal path. It uses only the same silver alloy that is contained in our wire as conductors. The base of our exclusive Rca is made of solid Teflon, one of the best electrical isolation materials around. It effectively blocks all outside interference from entering your equipment through the Rca connection resulting in a quieter background. Connectors of this quality costs $50 or more each from other companies. They are standard on the Tube Powered BCS.
  1. Exclusive AC Tube Powered BCS Design
  2. High End Brass Free Silver Connectors
  3. Four runs of 22awg Wire
  4. Oxidation protection
  5. Active Silver Shield
  6. Lifetime warranty

Synergistic Research had some thing similar called the EnigmA Valve Power for their Active shielding cables - $11,000 the actual interconnect cable extra!

With some run time the Cerious should get even better - Nice work there guys!

Jan 28, 2016 at 2:11 AM Post #3,534 of 3,700
My latest setup in computer audio has been improved again.

since my NUC is power by LPS, I have the network cable connect directly to audio pc instead to the switch. it sounded more coherant. can switch on real loud on james howard newton and tin pan alley.

Jan 28, 2016 at 5:47 AM Post #3,535 of 3,700
I have a mulitiude of hi res files - including DxD (352/24) and DSD128 from 2L Nordic Sound.  My digtialized LPs, SACD's and DVD-A's at 32float/176 and upsample all redbook to 96k (DAC60 DAC) or 192k (APL NWOjr DAC) using SoX.  The native hi rez I disengage the SoX upsampler.  No issues with any of them.  In fact I have play lists that combine all of the above from album to album - no issues.  Of course the DSD are run with the Foobar DSD to PCM converter to good effect.  My APL NWO DACjr is actually build on a stripped down Denon 3910 - so it can spin SACDs and DVD-A's.  I use it almost exclusively as a DAC - as it has a very high quaility SPDIF coax reciver and WBT NexGen Cu connector.  Eight 32-bit AKM DACs per channel, Lunduhl transformer coupling (no coupling caps) ECC99 class A output, superclock, 4 separate linear power supplies, etc...  It was $6.5k when Alex Peychkev was building them - I bought the last and latest version (32bit AKM DACs).

So I can directly, on the fly (remote switching), compare the actual SACD to the digitalized version run from the PC using foobar.  They are like 99% of each other - mostly can't tell the difference.  So why bother with the spinner?

Congrats on the turntable!  This was the system I used to archive my LPs - sold it.  Just the Dynavector XV1-s and Benz Ebony LP carts where $10K.  Now running a small analog setup in my office - Ortofon 2M Black on a vintage modded Dual CS721. Not bad actually!  When I'm in a LP spinning mood.

I'm running Win 7.  So that might be the difference with JPlay.  I actually like not having to use JPlay -  it had long latency.  I do run it when using the Breeze.

Here is the plot for the NDK SD (red) and SB(blue smooth) vs OXCO(green) and Crystek CCHD-957(jagged blue) (from NDK's website):

You had a X800?I have never had a turntable so it will be interesting to compare it with the Teac.I bought an AT OC9/III cart and a preloved Anatek MC1 stage(850 GDP new),probably not bad for a first setup.

BTW,i realised that i have tried DSD only from the Breeze's Toslink output,not from the SPDIF.You have mentioned DOP128 via coaxial.I may keep the Breeze after all...

Jan 28, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #3,537 of 3,700
where is the best source to get a breeze duu8. the one I ordered was defective. crackles and pops. 
i'm returning it, but would like to pay less. Anybody?

Jan 28, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #3,538 of 3,700
  where is the best source to get a breeze duu8. the one I ordered was defective. crackles and pops. 
i'm returning it, but would like to pay less. Anybody?

Where did you buy it from?

The Breeze store on Aliexpress seems like the best place, but I can't report back yet as my unit was delayed by the storm that hit the (US) east coast. Should be delivered tomorrow.

Actually, it looks like they aren't accepting orders anymore...maybe they're closed in preparations for the Chinese New Year? Anyway, here's a link: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Breeze-audio-Best-pure-USB-decoder-XMOS-U8-DU-U8-DAC-Asynchronous-USB-coax-fiber-XMOS/32499738639.html

Edit: I paid $123 shipped for the Talema version. Hope it isn't defective!

Jan 28, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #3,539 of 3,700
You had a X800?I have never had a turntable so it will be interesting to compare it with the Teac.I bought an AT OC9/III cart and a preloved Anatek MC1 stage(850 GDP new),probably not bad for a first setup.

BTW,i realised that i have tried DSD only from the Breeze's Toslink output,not from the SPDIF.You have mentioned DOP128 via coaxial.I may keep the Breeze after all...

No that was a VPI Super Scout Master Signature - and I had the optional SDS speed controler.  That outter stainless steel ring holds the LP flat - the center wieght is like 5 lbs.  Has VTA adjustment as well.  Tonearm wired with Nordost Valhalla cable.  Ran the amazing Dynavector XV1-S.

Nice starting rig!  The Ortofon 2M Red is a bargain at $99.  The totl 2M Black is outstanding!

Yes ditch the SPDIF optical - Good Luck!

Jan 28, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #3,540 of 3,700
I found the duu8 at that link but also noticed it hasn't been for sale for quite some time.
I have not received any reply from the seller either.
I would really like to have a breeze to test and mod.
Doesn't rb2013 have two? Maybe you could sell me one? :) you're happy with the pro3a right?
I will likely pass it on after I've tested t fairly and modded it too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back