Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
May 30, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #1,726 of 3,700

Or you could just run one of these right before the U12 or MXU8 - I have and the results are excellent and reversible. And relativly cheap.  The Pro version with the Advanced Power Filtering should not be confused with the non-Pro version which will do line by line EMI/RFI filtering.

The Advanced Power Filtering uses both Common Mode and Differential Mode filters, in addition to the EMI/RFI filters. 

From Blue Circle on Common Mode Rejection on their excellent and expensive $2,200 BC60X1:

ART PB4x4Pro Power Distribution System with Advanced Power Filtering:
All PRO SERIES models have an additional internal discrete module called APF (Advanced Power Filtering) which filters out digital and dimmer hash as well as any high frequency noise that is above the audio range. Some off-the-shelf add-on modules saturate and lose their filtering effectiveness as the load increases, but by using a high power discrete design we were able to create a filter that stays effective over the full operating range.

By using both Common Mode and Differential Mode topologies in series for the filter design we are able to block virtually all of the unwanted noise that is between the AC line and ground, and also the two sides of the AC line. This has the additional benefit of reducing ground loop problems in your system. High frequency noise currents in particular are highly attenuated in both directions so that any line noise that could be generated by one of your components is not allowed to get back into your main A.C. wiring so if you use a number of PRO SERIES Power Conditioners in your setup, you can distribute and isolate the noisy components from the sensitive components in your system. Additionally, any signals above 10kHz are filtered from the line with over 40dB of attenuation above 100kHz and beyond.

Every PRO SERIES power conditioner is designed with a power capacity of 1800 Watts, surge/spike protection, APF with EMI & RFI filtering, front-mounted unswitched power outlet and an adjustable rear-mounted gooseneck light source for bright illumination behind the rack. The spacing and alignment of the rear outlets to accommodate various size power plugs and AC adapters.

Features:

Not bad for $85

1. APF - Advanced Power Filtering
  2. Power Capacity of 1800 Watts
  3. Surge & Spike Protection
  4. EMI & RFI Filtering
  5. 8 Rear Outlets with Power Adapter Friendly Positioning
  6. One Front-mounted Unswitched Power Outlet

Non-pro version of the PB 4X4 with EMI/RFI at the AC and between each AC block ($49) - which the Pro version has in addition to the APS:

I use this one: Belkin PF50 (European version)

This one has got different filters, 4 for digital equipment, 2 for analogue equipment(, 2 for video equipment, and 1 high power output

It also has exceptional warranty, Belkin pays up to €400.000 for damage if PF50 fails when there's a power outage, or lichtning strike.

It has very good filtercurves, sadly I don't know the Digital filter characteristics.

1. • High current socket (range 10 kHz-100 MHz) :
    Attenuation Common Mode (CM) noise : -57 dB à 4,5 MHz.

2. • Audio Filter (range 10 kHz-100 MHz)
    Attenuation Common Mode (CM) noise : – 22 dB à 95 kHz. / -71 dB à 4,9 MHz.

3. • Video Filter (range 10 kHz-100 MHz)
    Attenuation Common Mode (CM) noise : -17 dB à 95 kHz. / -61 dB à 4,9 MHz.
US version is called PF60

They are often available on Ebay, but they are not cheap.

I "heard" many other filters, but none came close to PF50 performance.

If you can get one, buy it, you will be surprised!!

Cheers,
Alex 

May 30, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #1,727 of 3,700

Hi again ! yes it is what i learned reading here and there in tech sites.  They have many quality but they are not that good at filtering noise i am afraid.  Yes the R-core are much better at you know what ? this could be also a nice idea.
I am sure that just replacing the transformer with a R-core could improve mains noise rejection.  I feel that the mains where i live are not very polluted but it depends on the moment of the day.

I think that to put these filter in a separate box is also very smart ... and can serve more unit, the converter and the dac for instance. 

Thanks but sadly no shipping to Norway. I am in Norway now.  When shipping is available from USA the products usually end at a double price (for cheap products i mean).
Instead from HK or China often free shipping and no customs --- i do not know why ...

Very interesting.  I think that at least the caps i will do for sure.  I have also a new desoldering gun never used.  It is time to solder something.  I have also a nice 2%Ag alloy ... low this alloy. I have never had a cold joint ... and i am a dog at soldering indeed. 
If you happen to see something from China that could work similarly to the Art unit you mention i will buy it immediately. 
Thanks again.
Kindest regards,  gino   

P.S.  there is a new thread specifically about the Melodious ... i think you could post there the mods on your Melodious converter
i jump from this thread to the other because i have both (actually i have also the old Gustard U10)
My feeling is that the Melodious is a little better unit than the Gustard, but also more expensive.  
A modded Gustard by the way could be superior to a stock Melodious ... but i do not know for sure. 

Well with the different voltage and plug  the Art Pro - it wouldn't work there without a converter.

I use a solder sucker- the best gismo made.  Couldn't live without it!

I'm going to try the HWs in the Gustard and the Muratas in place of the Pulses.

Also from my R2R Lite DAC60 mod project - I did another improvement last night to excellent effect.  And it only took a few minutes.  Swapped the SPDIF RCA input jack from the stock CRC (with brass - yuc!) to one of these: ETI RCA Phonopod HC-XTC,  female, pure oxygen free copper, 20mm, Gold Plated Tellurium Copper

The change was immediately noticeable, and nice improvement.

The Eichman ETI is designed especially for digital:
The new Eichmann PhonoPod HC-XTC RCA female chassis socket is a low mass design with low inductive reactance for superior, extended bandwidth and more detailed, coherent sound. The PHonoPod HC-XTC uses 20 micron gold micro-plating over pure copper, resulting in better signal transfer, higher resolution, and our unique controlled 'skin-depth ratio' or SDR� for enhanced frequency/phase coherency. The PhonoPod also has the added advantage of being a true 75 Ohm impedance connection, making this an ideal connector for use in digital (SPDIF) or video applications 

http://www.partsconnexion.com/connectors_brand_eichmann.html

Any deviation from the exact 75ohms can cause reflected back waves in the digital cable (should be the optimal 1.5 meter length as well to min).  These back waves cause havoc  and are one of the reasons SPDIF Coax has a bad reputation.  But when done right the results are extraordinary.

As the ETI's are sold as pr - I have an extra I will put into the Gustard as well.  That's an easy swap.

The MX-U8 uses a SPDIF RCA as the U12 - also brass.

May 30, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #1,728 of 3,700

This one has got different filters, 4 for digital equipment, 2 for analogue equipment(, 2 for video equipment, and 1 high power output

It also has exceptional warranty, Belkin pays up to €400.000 for damage if PF50 fails when there's a power outage, or lichtning strike.

It has very good filtercurves, sadly I don't know the Digital filter characteristics.

1. • High current socket (range 10 kHz-100 MHz) :
    Attenuation Common Mode (CM) noise : -57 dB à 4,5 MHz.

2. • Audio Filter (range 10 kHz-100 MHz)
    Attenuation Common Mode (CM) noise : – 22 dB à 95 kHz. / -71 dB à 4,9 MHz.

3. • Video Filter (range 10 kHz-100 MHz)
    Attenuation Common Mode (CM) noise : -17 dB à 95 kHz. / -61 dB à 4,9 MHz.
US version is called PF60

They are often available on Ebay, but they are not cheap.

I "heard" many other filters, but none came close to PF50 performance.

If you can get one, buy it, you will be surprised!!

Cheers,
Alex 

Alex,

That's a beautiful unit!  Several years ago I was power filtering crazy - went through 5 different ones.  From a PS Audio regenerator - all the way up to a Nordost Thor. The Thor using a unique star grounding system and Valhalla wiring ($3,300)- and Nordost Valhalla PCs ($2K each).  And they made a difference - but at what cost!  But after a while I noticed the differences where just that - not necessarily improvements.  These power conditioner seemed to rob some of the dynamics so I sold them all after trying a pr of Richard Grays Pro 400s.

I still have the Richard Grays.  They seem to add a bit of dynamics and no coloration.  They are different and act as a power 'flywheel'.  Smoothing out the PS voltage fluctuations.  I had a Monster 7000 at one point which had a digital volt readout - I was amazed at how much the voltage would change - even in realtime!

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/rgcp-400pro-power-conditioner-mini-review-part-i.111822/

But now with all this latest digital equipment I have begun to re-explore this path.  But do not want to spend the big bucks - as I think you reach a point of minimal returns at a certain point.  $80 - $100 seems reasonable to me.

But if I won the lottery here would be a few I would try:
BC6000 and BC6000 X1e Music and Audio Professional Power Line Conditioners​
http://www.bluecircle.com/page156.html

Isotek EVO Titan
http://www.thecableco.com/Product/GII-Titan

Audience Adept Response aR6
http://www.thecableco.com/Product/Adept-Response-aR6

Oh to be rich!
tongue_smile.gif
beerchug.gif

May 30, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #1,729 of 3,700
  Well with the different voltage and plug  the Art Pro - it wouldn't work there without a converter.  

Hi well a step down 230AC to 115AC converter is not a big issue.  Unfortunately shipping and custom duties are.  This is very sad because i see exceptional bargain on USA.
Especially for industrial equipment that can be used very well also for audio i guess.
Another idea is to bypass PS big caps with a small film cap ... maybe will improve HF noise rejection ?  maybe ... 

I use a solder sucker- the best gismo made.  Couldn't live without it!  

i much prefer a good desoldering pump ... i tried the solder sucker tape but i found more tricky ... problem is that good pumps are expensive ... 

I'm going to try the HWs in the Gustard and the Muratas in place of the Pulses.

here i am lost ... but i am intrigued by chokes ... but i have no clue how to use them at all 

Also from my R2R
Also from my R2R Lite DAC60 mod project - I did another improvement last night to excellent effect.  And it only took a few minutes. 
Swapped the SPDIF RCA input jack from the stock CRC (with brass - yuc!) to one of these: ETI RCA Phonopod HC-XTC,  female, pure oxygen free copper, 20mm, Gold Plated Tellurium Copper
The change was immediately noticeable, and nice improvement.
The Eichman ETI is designed especially for digital:
http://www.partsconnexion.com/connectors_brand_eichmann.html
Any deviation from the exact 75ohms can cause reflected back waves in the digital cable (should be the optimal 1.5 meter length as well to min). 
These back waves cause havoc  and are one of the reasons SPDIF Coax has a bad reputation.  But when done right the results are extraordinary.
As the ETI's are sold as pr - I have an extra I will put into the Gustard as well.  That's an easy swap.
The MX-U8 uses a SPDIF RCA as the U12 - also brass.

Connectors are often overlooked and instead are very important.   Rcas in particular.  And good ones cost accordingly. 
i am using the AES/EBU digital out with Canare digital cable, star quad. They are a pro standard 110 ohm xlr connectors.   I think i will stick with this cable. 
Thanks again, gino    

May 30, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #1,730 of 3,700

Hi well a step down 230AC to 115AC converter is not a big issue.  Unfortunately shipping and custom duties are.  This is very sad because i see exceptional bargain on USA.
Especially for industrial equipment that can be used very well also for audio i guess.
Another idea is to bypass PS big caps with a small film cap ... maybe will improve HF noise rejection ?  maybe ... 

i much prefer a good desoldering pump ... i tried the solder sucker tape but i found more tricky ... problem is that good pumps are expensive ... 

here i am lost ... but i am intrigued by chokes ... but i have no clue how to use them at all 

Connectors are often overlooked and instead are very important.   Rcas in particular.  And good ones cost accordingly. 
i am using the AES/EBU digital out with Canare digital cable, star quad. They are a pro standard 110 ohm xlr connectors.   I think i will stick with this cable. 
Thanks again, gino    

Well I tried the solder tape - I hate it.  No this is a little handheld pump that uses vacuum to suck the solder up.  The best ones have a narrow profile that makes getting into tight spots easier.

On the Nichicon 'lytic cap swap on the U12 or the MXU8 couldn't be easier - getting the Nichicon Fine Golds in there was a little tricky do to height - had use a little Teflon tubing to shield the exposed leads.  The Muratas are a drop in replacement for the Pulses - just get the through the hole version - not SMD. 

With the AES the impedance matching is the same issue just 110 ohm vs 75 Ohm - so you want a very good connector - as well as cable.  Not sure about the impedance issue with HDMI or I2S - I don't think those matter much.

Good Luck!
beerchug.gif

May 30, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #1,731 of 3,700
   Well I tried the solder tape - I hate it.  No this is a little handheld pump that uses vacuum to suck the solder up.  The best ones have a narrow profile that makes getting into tight spots easier.

Hi again. Then i do not know it.
I agree that the best electric pump cost a lot indeed.  Much much more than a soldering station. 
But when they work they are fantastic ... just put the tip on the joint and when it melts push the button ... even a heavy hand like mine can do that.

On the Nichicon 'lytic cap swap on the U12 or the MXU8 couldn't be easier - getting the Nichicon Fine Golds in there was a little tricky do to height - had use a little Teflon tubing to shield the exposed leads. 
The Muratas are a drop in replacement for the Pulses - just get the through the hole version - not SMD. 
With the AES the impedance matching is the same issue just 110 ohm vs 75 Ohm - so you want a very good connector - as well as cable.  Not sure about the impedance issue with HDMI or I2S - I don't think those matter much.
Good Luck!
beerchug.gif

Thanks again for the advice.  I will do the caps swap at least.  I do not know if bypassing them could give some benefits.  But surely better caps are always an improvement ... less noise more dynamic ... 
Kind regards,  gino   

May 30, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #1,732 of 3,700
 I do not know if bypassing them could give some benefits.  But surely better caps are always an improvement ... less noise more dynamic ... 

Hi ginetto61, you are absolutely right about bypassing those big caps with small caps. But in the case of Gustard U12, don't worry about it. It is already done by default. C27 is that bypassing cap. It's not a film cap, but it should do.

Regarding a good power filters, this one is available in Germany, it looks very nice and neat (470,00€ ): 
NFZ-3.jpg

With impressive filtering specs:

50Ohm/50Ohm symmetrisch
I
10kHz100kHz1MHz10MHz
1A
>80
>80
3A
6A

http://www.thel-audioworld.de/bauteile/filter/Filter.htm

I will probably build one like this for myself, but I will need to check out Belkin PF60 first.

Regards

pakultra

May 30, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #1,733 of 3,700

That's a very nice one but unfortunately the EU version seems to be out of stock everywhere .. do you happen to know a shop that still sells it?

pakultra
Thx, that's an interesting one too but 5 sockets are not enough for my whole setup and it's kinda expensive. That belkin would be just perfect, especially since it also filters network, tv, etc

May 30, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #1,734 of 3,700
Hi Proy,

Unfortunately PF50 is not available anymore, keep searching second hand, i had one of the last UK versions, had to replace outlets,,,,,

Regards,

Alex

May 31, 2015 at 3:42 AM Post #1,735 of 3,700
Hi Guys !  thanks a lot indeed for the always helpful advice
Impressive units indeed.  I am quite sure they would be beneficial in a normal home context and industrial area.
I do not know why but i would go for a passive unit like the Thel one that should cost also less.
I think that especially the Gustard U12 could benefit ( i think the dac is better filtered already, it is a pro unit from Apogee)
I need time to study these latest replies.

Changing a little subject ... could an isolation transformer be beneficial ? have you ever tried one ?
This is very easy to connect even for me ...
redface.gif

a 100 VA thing before the Gustard and maybe also the dac ?
The very basic idea could be to place it before a power strip with just two power sockets,
one for U12 and one for the dac. Nothing else attached.
Here i can found nice schuko power strip for nothing.
The price should be very similar to the one of a cheap mains filter
I see this as not a very popular solution by the way
rolleyes.gif

Thanks a lot again.
Have a nice Sunday !
gino

May 31, 2015 at 6:24 AM Post #1,736 of 3,700
This $249 USB to I2S board from Sonore / Audiobyte looked strikingly similar to Tanly Audio:

TI ISO7640FM
Crystek CCHD-957
SPARTAN-6 XC6SLX9

0WNKGG4.jpg

MSm8lZf.jpg

http://www.rendu.sonore.us/Sonore_Audiobyte_USB_Drivers.zip
http://www.rendu.sonore.us/Sonore-USB-1000a.png
http://www.rendu.sonore.us/Sonore-USB.png

The Sonore DIY USB Interface is a high performance DXD/DSD128 capable asynchronous USB interface designed for DACs using the ESS Sabre chip. The asynchronous USB receiver is powered from USB allowing for complete isolation of the oscillators, re-clocking and oversampling/filtering (including ground) from the source.  Crystek CCHD series ultra low phase noise clocks are used for the lowest possible jitter. On the "clean" side of the board, the Crystek oscillators (45.1584/49.152 MHz), the FPGA running the oversampling filter (OSF) and the re-clocking circuit, are powered from a user provided ~5 VDC source. 
A unique feature of this interface is the (optional) onboard OSF.  This filter oversamples to 352.8/384, using specially developed proprietary digital filters.  The filter design takes advantage of the high power available in the FPGA to incorporate a sophisticated partial minimum phase filter, which greatly reduces pre-ringing, while still providing excellent stop band rejection (anti aliasing).

The USB Interface can also be used with other I2S/DSD DACs.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=127689.0
http://www.rendu.sonore.us/USB.html

As usual we could replace Crystek with a pair of NDK from DIYINHK.

They're also pretty much the same as Hydra Z from Audiobyte, someone was able to mod it by adding two dozens of supercapacitors as shown below

http://www.mobile01.com/topicdetail.php?f=180&t=3814233&p=126#56002314

Those supercapacitors are also found inside "Hu90 TeeTee" and it's like 5 bucks a piece from Chinese sellers on Tao Bao

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=39537691794
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=40880039805
http://www.mouser.com/new/powerstor/cooperPHBcaps/
http://www.mouser.com/pdfdocs/PowerStorPHBdatasheet.pdf
https://octopart.com/phb-5r0v505-r-cooper+bussmann-20698242
https://octopart.com/phb-5r0h505-r-cooper+bussmann-22061440
http://www.digikey.com/product-highlights/us/en/eaton-phb-supercapacitors/1334
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/PowerStor-Eaton/PHB-5R0H505-R/?qs=e7A2guvi5TCELaG7kj9Ceg%3D%3D
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Bussmann-Eaton/PHB-5R0V505-R/?qs=e7A2guvi5TCrE7PWGov4pw%3D%3D
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-powerstor-phb-5v-5-0f-5f-farad-capacitor-super-capacitor-5f5v/32210956564.html
http://www.cooperindustries.com/content/dam/public/bussmann/Electronics/Resources/product-datasheets/bus-elx-ds-4402-phb-series.pdf
http://www.cooperindustries.com/content/public/en/bussmann/electronics/products/powerstor_supercapacitors/cylindrical/phb-series.html

In addition to 5V5F ones as mentioned above, they're also selling 5V10F as well as 5V17F versions

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=40967578223
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=40967666552
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1359823
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Specials-Original-farad-capacitor-5V17F-PowerStor-PHB-5v17f-ultracapacitor-5-5v17f/32265833461.html
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-and-original-in-original-boxes-super-farad-capacitor-Cooper-PowerStor-5V10F-P1635-5R0106-2/32266532523.html

Basically we could feed 5V power to Sonore / Audiobyte with 18650 batteries like this while throwing those supercapacitors into the mix

http://ppaproduct.blogspot.com/2014/07/dual-rails-battery-psu.html

Of course we've gotta find another source for a great battery PSU first, any suggestions?

May 31, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #1,738 of 3,700
can I know where to get a updated tanly audio usb with spdif output ?

May 31, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #1,739 of 3,700
  @seeteeyou That seems like a great DIY option. Too bad it doesn't have AES output (as far as I can tell, anyway). I'd be very interested in trying to build one if it did...

Hi and i am in the same boat.  Now that i experienced the AES connection i am sold on this standard.   It just seems to sound better ... more relaxed while keeping a very nice detail. 
I have also found an extremely cheap but good cable from Canare this one here

http://www.canare.com/ProductItemDisplay.aspx?productItemID=67

i have been advised to try it also for balanced analog and it is what i am going to do as soon as another pair will arrive. 
Great connection the AES/EBU and i do not understand why is no more popular. Pro units aside ... of course. 
Thanks,  gino  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back