Gustard H20 headphone amp
Dec 28, 2021 at 6:10 AM Post #541 of 646
Had anybody used/is using H20 with Susvara? THX!

Dec 28, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #542 of 646
Had anybody used/is using H20 with Susvara? THX!
I wish. I have the Arya Stealth (I traded in my v2's). I also changed out the op amps to Sparkos Labs and now I'm trying out Burson v6 Vivids. Good stuff with the Arya.
Isn't the Sus very insensitive? Like, speaker amp insensitive. In that case I don't think the H20 will drive it too well - it tops out at a little over ~2 watts or so with a 4 volt XLR input (per Audio Science Review, if trustworthy or correct), probably more with a 4+ volts balanced input. I turn my Arya up to about ~10:30 - 11:00 on the volume dial, in medium gain and with a ~5.2 volt input from my DAC.

Dec 29, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #543 of 646
I wish. I have the Arya Stealth (I traded in my v2's). I also changed out the op amps to Sparkos Labs and now I'm trying out Burson v6 Vivids. Good stuff with the Arya.
Isn't the Sus very insensitive? Like, speaker amp insensitive. In that case I don't think the H20 will drive it too well - it tops out at a little over ~2 watts or so with a 4 volt XLR input (per Audio Science Review, if trustworthy or correct), probably more with a 4+ volts balanced input. I turn my Arya up to about ~10:30 - 11:00 on the volume dial, in medium gain and with a ~5.2 volt input from my DAC.
I don't think Susvara is very intensive on H20, it is musical and very smooth sounding, all instruments sound like live and very real. I'm listening to Susvara at 18/64 steps it is about 9:45-10:00 on low gain DAC outputs 5V. I cant get how you can listen at a such high levels with much efficient HP like Arya v3. :))
I'm using OP1656 now in H20, for me it brings mids to front a bit, that is not welcomed with HFM cans i think at least for me. Stage may be a bit bigger perceived.
IDK if measurements on ASR are correct, but I think Amir has enough experience and knowledge to do so. :)

Dec 30, 2021 at 5:26 AM Post #544 of 646
I don't think Susvara is very intensive on H20, it is musical and very smooth sounding, all instruments sound like live and very real. I'm listening to Susvara at 18/64 steps it is about 9:45-10:00 on low gain DAC outputs 5V. I cant get how you can listen at a such high levels with much efficient HP like Arya v3. :))
I'm using OP1656 now in H20, for me it brings mids to front a bit, that is not welcomed with HFM cans i think at least for me. Stage may be a bit bigger perceived.
IDK if measurements on ASR are correct, but I think Amir has enough experience and knowledge to do so. :)
IDK, we may have different "runs" of the H20, where some running changes may have been made to the gain structure. Mine may be an earlier model. No clue if this is true or not but my gain settings are not that different from on another in volume or drive. I don't listen regularly to extremely loud music but I have been known to up the volume a couple of clicks on some songs - but not to the extreme. 🤷‍♂️

Dec 30, 2021 at 8:15 AM Post #545 of 646
IDK, we may have different "runs" of the H20, where some running changes may have been made to the gain structure. Mine may be an earlier model. No clue if this is true or not but my gain settings are not that different from on another in volume or drive. I don't listen regularly to extremely loud music but I have been known to up the volume a couple of clicks on some songs - but not to the extreme. 🤷‍♂️
The gain switch is useless on my sample too, between low and high gain is 2dB increase. I thing this is by design on all devices same.

Dec 30, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #546 of 646
The gain switch is useless on my sample too, between low and high gain is 2dB increase. I thing this is by design on all devices same.
On mine low gain is very slightly the cleanest. High gain is clean but slightly less smooth (seemingly). I keep it on middle gain to split the difference. Most of the time I listen around 10 o'clock to 10:30 but 11:30 is the loudest I can listen for a short time. When I first got my Arya Stealths I could listen at almost 12:30 but after burn in they've gotten quite a bit easier to drive (120+ hours so far).

Jan 26, 2022 at 3:24 AM Post #547 of 646
Hi,

I’ve been using the h20 as a preamp lately, feeding into a Hypex class D amp to control volume.

I can’t figure out if in this scenario the signal is affected by the opamps or if the preamp output bypasses them entirely?

I could do with knowing before doing any opamp rolling.

Thanks in advance!

Jan 26, 2022 at 4:33 AM Post #548 of 646
Hi,

I’ve been using the h20 as a preamp lately, feeding into a Hypex class D amp to control volume.

I can’t figure out if in this scenario the signal is affected by the opamps or if the preamp output bypasses them entirely?

I could do with knowing before doing any opamp rolling.

Thanks in advance!
The sound goes through the opamps. The stock opamps are okay but discrete opamps bring it up to another level. I bought Sparkos Labs SS-3602 duals and am now auditioning Burson V6 Vivid duals. Good times, Action Jackson...

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2022 at 6:06 AM Post #549 of 646
The sound goes through the opamps. The stock opamps are okay but discrete opamps bring it up to another level. I bought Sparkos Labs SS-3602 duals and am now auditioning Burson V6 Vivid duals. Good times, Action Jackson...
Precisely the answer I was looking for, thanks!

I’m currently running the Sparkos but when coupled with the Hypex amp it’s a little analytical/sterile sounding.

Think I’ll order a few others.

I’ve actually heard good things about Orange jfet opamps, has anybody tried those?

Jan 26, 2022 at 9:04 PM Post #550 of 646

I’m currently running the Sparkos but when coupled with the Hypex amp it’s a little analytical/sterile sounding.

I’ve actually heard good things about Orange jfet opamps, has anybody tried those?
I could see that happening if the Hypex and your speakers/HPs are dry, sorta bright-ish, and ultra analytical sounding. I listen to the H20 primarily through an SMSL Su-9 DAC and HFM Arya Stealths (I live in an apartment), and the combination of the neutral but not bright/harsh DAC and the neutral-bright but bass-rich HFM Aryas - the neutral but rich-sounding Class A H20 with the revealing but rich Sparkos SS-3602's gives very good synergy, to make everthing come together as overall neutral (but not harsh), revealing, and a very rich, spacious, and spatially impressive soundscape. I can't express enough about overall system synergy. Bright, bright, bright doesn't fit together too well nor does dark, dark, dark, IMO. It's good to balance out a chain's overall characteristics - neutral, warm, neutral works better if one has a preference toward a slightly warm system or neutral, bright, neutral if one leans toward a slightly brighter preference. I have fun slightly changing up the H20's sound characteristics by swapping opamps. If I were you I'd look at either OPA-2134pa IC opamps or the Burson V6 Classics for a different or better timbre. Keep us posted, please.

Jan 26, 2022 at 10:15 PM Post #551 of 646

P.S., Do you notice that the H20 takes at least about ~20-30 from when it's turned on so that it can warm up to sound it's best. Mine sounds sort of thin until it plays for about ~20 minutes and sounds best after it's warm to the touch. The bass really deepens and gets more punchy, the mids get more fleshed out, and the treble smooths and develops good timbre. Likewise with the Sparkos SS-3602's - they are bitingly bright and somewhat sibilant when brand new. Mine took about 2 months to really smooth out and bloom, somewhat the same with the Bursons, they also took about a month themselves to smooth out in the treble. I've noticed the same phenomenon with other discrete components and even some IC opamps, but to lesser degrees (Magni 3+, opa2134's, Muses 8920's). Happy listening.

Jan 27, 2022 at 4:38 AM Post #552 of 646
P.S., Do you notice that the H20 takes at least about ~20-30 from when it's turned on so that it can warm up to sound it's best. Mine sounds sort of thin until it plays for about ~20 minutes and sounds best after it's warm to the touch. The bass really deepens and gets more punchy, the mids get more fleshed out, and the treble smooths and develops good timbre. Likewise with the Sparkos SS-3602's - they are bitingly bright and somewhat sibilant when brand new. Mine took about 2 months to really smooth out and bloom, somewhat the same with the Bursons, they also took about a month themselves to smooth out in the treble. I've noticed the same phenomenon with other discrete components and even some IC opamps, but to lesser degrees (Magni 3+, opa2134's, Muses 8920's). Happy listening.
Thanks for taking the time to write such a thorough answer.

I couldn't agree more about system synergy, that could be contributing to my situation. following your advice I actually swapped in an R2R dac (Musician Pegasus) and the sound is already less fatiguing than with my previous ESS based one.

I've left the H20 powered on for the last 24hours and the sound is less jarring so I think your point about needing to warm up holds true.

I have a pair of the OPA1656 opamps previously mentioned in this thread on the way so that I can compare.

I think I'm on the right path now!

Jan 27, 2022 at 5:02 AM Post #553 of 646

I couldn't agree more about system synergy, that could be contributing to my situation. following your advice I actually swapped in an R2R dac (Musician Pegasus) and the sound is already less fatiguing than with my previous ESS based one.

I've left the H20 powered on for the last 24hours and the sound is less jarring so I think your point about needing to warm up holds true.

I have a pair of the OPA1656 opamps previously mentioned in this thread on the way so that I can compare.

I'm really curios about your opinion about OPA1656 opamps, I've them installed now in my H20.

Jan 27, 2022 at 6:32 AM Post #555 of 646

I usually leave mine on 24/7. I switch to an unused input, then switch to lowest gain (if I have it in med gain), and then I turn the volume all the way on. I leave it on to shorten warm-up time and to lower the stress on the inner components' solder joints from the turn on/turn off cycles. With the source selector switched to an unconnected input and the gain and volume turned all the way down - it stays slightly warm but the Class A circuitry doesn't use too much electricity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back