Gustard H20 headphone amp
Dec 28, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #455 of 646
Should work without insulation, but what would be the odds to make a short-circuit between two nearby regulators without having a proper insulation in place? :)

Zero with the Sparkos shown in the photo.

Fully insulated transistor no exposed metal facing heatsink on the Sparkos, black plastic package.
Original unit from on my H20 used the JRC 7815 and JRC 7915 which is also fully insulated

In this very specific instance, insulating an already insulated transistor could lead to overheating.
The stock heatsink is quite small and if you are running an opamp like the Ticha 994 with increased current draw, the regulators will run hotter.
There are 2 regulators sharing that 1 heatsink.
11374245.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2020 at 1:12 AM Post #456 of 646
Hi all. I'm thinking of jumping on a good condition, used H20, for a good price. I currently have a Topping a90 driving Hifiman Arya. Not 100% satisfied w/ a90, decent soundstage width and some depth but soft-ish up top and some micro or inner details seem "masked". Q-1: What may I gain as far as sound quality if I choose to purchase H20? Q-2: How does H20 sound compared to a90? Any experiences are welcome...

Dec 29, 2020 at 3:22 AM Post #457 of 646
Hi all. I'm thinking of jumping on a good condition, used H20, for a good price. I currently have a Topping a90 driving Hifiman Arya. Not 100% satisfied w/ a90, decent soundstage width and some depth but soft-ish up top and some micro or inner details seem "masked". Q-1: What may I gain as far as sound quality if I choose to purchase H20? Q-2: How does H20 sound compared to a90? Any experiences are welcome...
H20 has a stable sound, a slightly warm, and a powerful thrust!

ShenzhenAudio https://twitter.com/shenzhenaudio Stay updated on ShenzhenAudio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/shenzhenaudio/ https://twitter.com/shenzhenaudio https://shenzhenaudio.com/
Dec 29, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #458 of 646
H20 has a stable sound, a slightly warm, and a powerful thrust!
Thank you for your response. How are the treble details and sound stage? The a90 sometimes masks small details in the music - triangles, bells, etc - and doesn't sound as "open", transparent, or natural as some others. Emotiva a-100 and Schiit Magni 3+ as examples...

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #459 of 646
Anyone else have any comments or observations on the H20's overall sound quality. I understand "slightly warm", but does that also mean closed-in soundstage and missing details?

Jan 1, 2021 at 2:03 AM Post #460 of 646
I went ahead and bought the H20 and it should be here by next week. I'm excited, as this is my first ever experience with Gustard. Hoping for good things moving forward. Will keep you posted...

Jan 4, 2021 at 11:58 PM Post #461 of 646
My H20 is on the way... Holiday shipping delays victim. Keep you all posted when it does.

Jan 5, 2021 at 12:07 AM Post #462 of 646
Anyone else have any comments or observations on the H20's overall sound quality. I understand "slightly warm", but does that also mean closed-in soundstage and missing details?
Depends of synergy with equipment. My primary equipment is LPS powering it.

Jan 5, 2021 at 12:45 AM Post #463 of 646
Depends of synergy with equipment. My primary equipment is LPS powering it.
Streaming Tidal MQA to SMSL su-9 which is pretty neutral with a very very slight warmth. I mean it's transparent but also not harsh as some ESS based DACs have been in the past. Replacing Topping a90 with Gustard h20, driving Hifiman Arya cans. With Arya I could tell that the a90 had a midbass emphasis and a soft, sort of closed-in upper treble and not so "open" presentation. Not as revealing or natural sounding as I'd hoped.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2021 at 12:52 AM Post #464 of 646
Streaming Tidal MQA to SMSL su-9 which is pretty neutral with a very very slight warmth. I mean it's transparent but not harsh as some ESS based DACs have been. Replacing Topping a90 with Gustard h20. Driving Hifiman Arya cans. With Arya I could tell that the a90 had a midbass emphasis and a soft, sort of closed-in upper treble and not so "open" presentation. Not as revealing or natural sounding as I'd hoped.
Not familiar with your equipment, my secondary is power cable😊

Jan 7, 2021 at 12:32 AM Post #465 of 646
Just rec'd my H20 unit today. Got a good deal, used. I'm impressed with this amp. Stock sounds good, a li'l thick in the midbass and soft-ish in the uppermost treble, still good though, wide SS. I've got a few op amps on hand that I've experimented with. Ne5532p's, opa2134pa's, and Muses8920's. The '5532s slightly narrow the SS and brightens it, making the amp sound "stark". The ti '2134s present a good balance between a wide SS, clear and detailed vocals and instrumentation, depth, and spatial cues. I haven't put in the Muses yet. I like this amp, it's very natural and transparent, could have more gain though...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back