GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone Amplifier
Mar 18, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #5,491 of 5,553
Have you reduced the gain on the H10 to -12? That might reduce the buzz. Can you borrow a DAC from someone to try out whether that will fix it? Is it possibly a ground loop issue? If so, try moving to a different power outlet.

Sweet, thanks very much for the advice, I will try that! I've heard that some IEMs can be quite sensitive, so I just figured that was probably it. I haven't really read up yet on how all this stuff actually works as far as ohms, impedance, gain, and all that good stuff. Just trying to enjoy some great sound for now! :)

If anyone has any recommendations for a good mid-range DAC to pair with the H10, I'd really appreciate it! And by mid-range, I'm talking like up to maybe $2-400 (as much as I'd love to splurge for something like the Gustard X-20, I'm sure it would be wasted on my undeveloped aural palette). Currently got it hooked up to my PC motherboard's onboard sound, which I'm positive is less than ideal.

Thanks again all!

Mar 19, 2019 at 2:29 AM Post #5,492 of 5,553
Sweet, thanks very much for the advice, I will try that! I've heard that some IEMs can be quite sensitive, so I just figured that was probably it. I haven't really read up yet on how all this stuff actually works as far as ohms, impedance, gain, and all that good stuff. Just trying to enjoy some great sound for now! :)

If anyone has any recommendations for a good mid-range DAC to pair with the H10, I'd really appreciate it! And by mid-range, I'm talking like up to maybe $2-400 (as much as I'd love to splurge for something like the Gustard X-20, I'm sure it would be wasted on my undeveloped aural palette). Currently got it hooked up to my PC motherboard's onboard sound, which I'm positive is less than ideal.

Thanks again all!

No real reason to spend a ton on a DAC when the differences are not really audible. I would look at the Schiit Modi 3 and the Topping D30 first. If those are too basic for you then look a the Topping D50.

Apr 15, 2019 at 8:29 AM Post #5,493 of 5,553
Hello everyone, I have 2 units of this amp and both broke. For the long story, please search it in reddit r/headphones/ I made a post there but the short bit of is this:

-It started is a infrequent small quit but noticable crackling sound at one side (the left ear side, first unit the right ear) but then it got bad and became a very loud pop I almost shed tears cause I thought it blew my the driver of my expensive headphones.

-someone recommended to open the cover and I did , it decreased the problem a bit. . I think the cover was suffocating toasty internal way too much instead of acting as a heat dissipator.

-I tried with the top cover removed, it lasted few hours before the loud popping noise return. I basically have to use it for ~3 hours and shut it down for 2 hours if I don't want blow my headphones.

- I found something interesting while I was putting the headphones around my neck. Whenever there'e a pop noise to the driver, I also hear noise from the amp (top cover is removed). EDIT: --- one of the LEDS -the closest one to the headphone terminal- would go off for a couple of seconds----

I really can't afford to buy a new amp at the moment but I think I might give up and buy a JDSlabs atom

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2019 at 4:57 AM Post #5,497 of 5,553
Can you identify the transistors you want to change?
to be honest, no, not exactly. cause I don't know which ones are broken. All I know that it the area closest to the headphones Jack.

This the problem I'm facing:

Hello everyone, I have 2 units of this amp and both broke. For the long story, please search it in reddit r/headphones/ I made a post there but the short bit of is this:

-It started is a infrequent small quit but noticable crackling sound at one side (the left ear side, first unit the right ear) but then it got bad and became a very loud pop I almost shed tears cause I thought it blew my the driver of my expensive headphones.

-someone recommended to open the cover and I did , it decreased the problem a bit. . I think the cover was suffocating toasty internal way too much instead of acting as a heat dissipator.

-I tried with the top cover removed, it lasted few hours before the loud popping noise return. I basically have to use it for ~3 hours and shut it down for 2 hours if I don't want blow my headphones.

- I found something interesting while I was putting the headphones around my neck. Whenever there'e a pop noise to the headphones driver, I also hear noise from the amp (top cover is removed) And EDIT: --- one of the LEDS -the closest one to the headphone terminal- would go off for a couple of seconds----

I really can't afford to buy a new amp at the moment but I think I might give up and buy a JDSlabs atom

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2019 at 7:00 AM Post #5,501 of 5,553
It seems those transistors around the op-amps are the parts most prone to failure. Besides adding heat sinks (which is a great idea), is there an alternative transistor part with a higher rating that could used instead. Increased reliability would be great. If it could somehow improve sound quality, even better.

Apr 18, 2019 at 7:34 AM Post #5,502 of 5,553
There is alot of transistors to pick from, just a matter of deciding what spec to choose. Thats why it's important to identify the old transistors and choose something with higer rating.

Jun 21, 2019 at 7:48 AM Post #5,503 of 5,553
Combo hugo > gustard h10> he500

Attachments

• IMG_20190616_122848.jpg
    IMG_20190616_122848.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Sep 10, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #5,504 of 5,553
Oct 2, 2019 at 9:32 PM Post #5,505 of 5,553
Hi,

Unfortunately I think that my Gustard H10 is slowly dying,

For the past few weeks I have been hearing pop and crackling sounds while listening to music / or even if the amp is just on and not getting any signal.

I switched dacs and rca cables and confirmed it's still happening. When I connected my LCD X's to my av receiver / my phone it didn't occur (thank god it's not my headphones).

I had it for around 3 years but I expected more from it.

Does anyone know if there is any way to fix this?

I would appreciate some good alternatives for the H10 to use with the LCD , and possibly the abyss / focal utopia / lcd 4 in the future - I might upgrade in a year and I would like to have a versatile amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back