GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone Amplifier
Jan 23, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #5,461 of 5,553
Hard to say at this point. I bet I don't have 50 hours of listening on either one in the last 6 months. I just put the Burson V6 vivid opamps into the H10 about the time I got the Burson V2.
Probably fewer hours on it with that confgiuration. My schedule just has not left much time for headphone listening lately. It is something I want to do one day. I had the units stacked so I could use the line outs from the V2 to drive the H10. It will be pretty easy to do an informal volume matched comparison ...when I get time again.

Jan 23, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #5,462 of 5,553
Hard to say at this point. I bet I don't have 50 hours of listening on either one in the last 6 months. I just put the Burson V6 vivid opamps into the H10 about the time I got the Burson V2.
Probably fewer hours on it with that confgiuration. My schedule just has not left much time for headphone listening lately. It is something I want to do one day. I had the units stacked so I could use the line outs from the V2 to drive the H10. It will be pretty easy to do an informal volume matched comparison ...when I get time again.

Ok..thank you.

Feb 3, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #5,463 of 5,553
Finally just installed the custom heatsinks I made for the 4 transistors around each Single opamp on one of my H10s:

i-W2NpdNM-X4.jpg

i-6NjDqDM-X4.jpg

i-4jSQRmT-X4.jpg

i-Tm8d6xT-X4.jpg

i-cwNd9kh-X4.jpg

Feb 17, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #5,464 of 5,553
After listening to mainly the V6 Vivid over the weekend (been a while since listened to the Vivids) and some time with the V6 Classic I would say it depends on what you are looking for. If you really value bass impact and just overall low end presence the Classics are the ones. If you can live with a little less bass and put more value in extra detail and a more balanced to slightly mid/high focused sound, the Vivids are the ones. Classics are a little more laid back, and the Vivids more upfront. Really need to mix and match the Vivids and Classics to see what Single Vivid/ dual Classic and single Classic / dual Vivid sounds like.

Your notes on both of the V6 op-amps have been very helpful as I try to figure out which way to go with my Gustard H10. I'm trying to figure out which of these would be better suited to v-shaped headphones where the bass is already enhanced and the treble approaching harsh at louder volumes: do you think one or the other (classic or vivid) is more suited? It would seem the classic would push the bass out too far, and the vivid would push the treble out to the shrill & fatiguing side. I'm trying to decide which one will provide clear/clean details that's relaxing enough to not cause any listening fatigue. Any advice on this would be appreciated, thanks!

Feb 17, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #5,465 of 5,553
Your notes on both of the V6 op-amps have been very helpful as I try to figure out which way to go with my Gustard H10. I'm trying to figure out which of these would be better suited to v-shaped headphones where the bass is already enhanced and the treble approaching harsh at louder volumes: do you think one or the other (classic or vivid) is more suited? It would seem the classic would push the bass out too far, and the vivid would push the treble out to the shrill & fatiguing side. I'm trying to decide which one will provide clear/clean details that's relaxing enough to not cause any listening fatigue. Any advice on this would be appreciated, thanks!

I've been trying V6 Vivid Singles and V6 Classic duals for a while now (as you can see in the last picture of my previous post) and it's a nice combo for my modded TH-X00PH's (a VERY V shaped phone). Bass is less than the full classic, treble is smoother and a pulled back just a little, and detail is still nice - closer to the full Vivid setup than the full Classic setup. V6 Vivid singles and V6 Classic duals would be my recommendation.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #5,466 of 5,553
I've been trying V6 Vivid Singles and V6 Classic duals for a while now (as you can see in the last picture of my previous post) and it's a nice combo for my modded TH-X00PH's (a VERY V shaped phone). Bass is less than the full classic, treble is smoother and a pulled back just a little, and detail is still nice - closer to the full Vivid setup than the full Classic setup. V6 Vivid singles and V6 Classic duals would be my recommendation.

Nice, I have a pair of TH-X00EB that I'm pairing with it, so this sounds right up my alley! Thanks for the recommendation.

Feb 18, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #5,467 of 5,553
Over the weekend I started getting a loud pop in the left channel when wearing my headphones and it seems I've narrowed it down to my H10. With it connected to nothing and just the headphones plugged in the left channel makes a buzzing/hissing sound while the right is completely quiet. I'm in the UK and got the amp off ebay which was possibly shipped from China at the time. It's a few years old, around 2015 or so and I'm wondering would there be any quick fix to the problem? I've never had the unit opened or changed op amps etc...

Mar 7, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #5,468 of 5,553
Over the weekend I started getting a loud pop in the left channel when wearing my headphones and it seems I've narrowed it down to my H10. With it connected to nothing and just the headphones plugged in the left channel makes a buzzing/hissing sound while the right is completely quiet. I'm in the UK and got the amp off ebay which was possibly shipped from China at the time. It's a few years old, around 2015 or so and I'm wondering would there be any quick fix to the problem? I've never had the unit opened or changed op amps etc...

I and another fellow had the same problem (his was ride side iirc) it came down to a transistor wearing out. Luckily it only costs a few dollars shipped. Try opening up the H10 and checking if the LEDs are lighting up. Usually when one side pops the LED goes out, that's the side you'll have to replace.

Example (Taken from Busterized's post)
http://i.imgur.com/fo9wbWY.jpg

red circle would be the transistor you replace

Mar 7, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #5,470 of 5,553
Guys do you think THX AAA might be a competition to H10 in SQ department?

I have H10 with V6 Vivids and I pair it with Denons D7200. The combo lacks detail and there is no sound stage what so ever. It is like left and right channel in your ears and then some in the head playing. Minute sound stage. So I am looking for some other amp to compare if it is D7200 or H10 or maybe combination that causes that problem.

Mar 7, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #5,471 of 5,553
Guys do you think THX AAA might be a competition to H10 in SQ department?

I have H10 with V6 Vivids and I pair it with Denons D7200. The combo lacks detail and there is no sound stage what so ever. It is like left and right channel in your ears and then some in the head playing. Minute sound stage. So I am looking for some other amp to compare if it is D7200 or H10 or maybe combination that causes that problem.

Lacks Detail? The V6 Vivid full set is the most detailed Burson opamp layout you can get, and noticeably more detailed than with the stock opamps. How many hours runtime do the V6 Vivid opamps have on them? If the Denon 7200 is anything like a Fostex TH-X00 then they will have a narrow soundstage, not familiar with the D7200 though. Nothing wrong with a narrow soundstage if it has exceptional imaging, which the TH-X00PH does on an H10.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2018 at 12:00 AM Post #5,472 of 5,553
150h of hard burn-in with burn in track.

Yes the combo lacks plenty of micro detail. Massive amounts of ambient and reverb information is lost. It is like the setup dose not resolve first few decibels of info on tracks.

I compare to my speaker system so maybe my expectations are too high?

There is no sound stage. If there is no sound stage we cannot even speak about positioning / imaging as how do you want to image when there is no soundstage in the first place?

It is all left / right and in your head (it seems those are the only three available slots for the sounds to appear).

Cheers

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #5,474 of 5,553
Wonderful work for those heat sink on those transistors! However, however, please let us know why those transistors needs heat sink.

Those transistors get HOT... one of the hottest components in the H10 and seem to be failure prone because of it, attested to by posts like these:

I and another fellow had the same problem (his was ride side iirc) it came down to a transistor wearing out. Luckily it only costs a few dollars shipped. Try opening up the H10 and checking if the LEDs are lighting up. Usually when one side pops the LED goes out, that's the side you'll have to replace.

Example (Taken from Busterized's post)
http://i.imgur.com/fo9wbWY.jpg

red circle would be the transistor you replace

Anything reasonable to help reduce thermal load on components to give them a longer life I'll do.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back