GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone Amplifier
Jul 19, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #5,101 of 5,554
  The volume knob on my H10 completely fell off today. It looks like there's a screw but there's no hole for it to go into (a dent instead). Anyone know the best way to reattach this safely?

Looks to me like a standard set-screw setup.  Slip the knob back onto the end of the shaft and use a metric hex key to tighten the set-screw against the shaft.

Jul 23, 2016 at 2:04 AM Post #5,103 of 5,554
I paired it with a monarchy nm24 for a while. It was a bit too relaxed for my taste after a while. Replaced the h10 with an LC for a better pairing and move the h10 with a geek pulse as the dac. I like both pairings better. A little excitement in both chains

Aug 8, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #5,105 of 5,554
Just got a brand new H10 for $350 from Ebay. Paired it with HD600, using m9xx as DAC, after listening it for one hour, feel little disappointed with the sound.
H10 sound good with warm tone, but comparing to Beydynamic A20 , H10 has less dynamic, details, separation and clarity. The snappy HD600 just sounds less snappier on H10.
I thought  H10 is a copy of Violectric V200 and should be an upgrade to A20, looks like I was wrong . 
While Germany made Beyerdynamic A20 is only $380 on Amazon, I think H10 is overpriced at $350. 

Aug 8, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #5,106 of 5,554
Just got a brand new H10 for $350 from Ebay. Paired it with HD600, using m9xx as DAC, after listening it for one hour, feel little disappointed with the sound.
H10 sound good with warm tone, but comparing to Beydynamic A20 , H10 has less dynamic, details, separation and clarity. The snappy HD600 just sounds less snappier on H10.
I thought  H10 is a copy of Violectric V200 and should be an upgrade to A20, looks like I was wrong . 
While Germany made Beyerdynamic A20 is only $380 on Amazon, I think H10 is overpriced at $350. 

If it's "brand new" it will take some break-in before it performs to its full potential. I bought mine used so it already sounded good to me but in reading this entire thread it is clear that break-in is a critical aspect of reaching that potential.

Aug 9, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #5,107 of 5,554

a lot of us were disgusted for the first few days :)

Aug 9, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #5,108 of 5,554
Quote:

If it's "brand new" it will take some break-in before it performs to its full potential. I bought mine used so it already sounded good to me but in reading this entire thread it is clear that break-in is a critical aspect of reaching that potential.

a lot of us were disgusted for the first few days :)

thanks ! you two made me sleep better last night.
I let H10 play music continuingly almost 24 hours.
Now H10 delivers much more details, dynamic I couldn't heard last night.
Comparing to cold Germany A20, H10 makes HD600 sound warmer, thicker and mellower.
Now HD600 sing as it should, maybe even better :)

Aug 10, 2016 at 2:34 AM Post #5,109 of 5,554

thanks ! you two made me sleep better last night.
I let H10 play music continuingly almost 24 hours.
Now H10 delivers much more details, dynamic I couldn't heard last night.
Comparing to cold Germany A20, H10 makes HD600 sound warmer, thicker and mellower.
Now HD600 sing as it should, maybe even better :)

Good to hear..
First time always painful...:)

Next, rolling opamp with Burson V5 single will make you smile when sleep

Aug 10, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #5,111 of 5,554
Not a good pairing H10/HD800 for me. With 600 and 650 i found it more enjoyable.

What didn't you like about the HD800 pairing? I have an HD800 coming in a few weeks.

Aug 16, 2016 at 3:55 AM Post #5,114 of 5,554
Sad sad day today.....my Gustard died. I put it on when I came to work and after an hour I heard a noise from inside, and the smell of burned electronics and power disappeared. I knew it couldn't be good. I took off the lid and immediately noticed the exploded and cracked darlington transistors.

Since I worked at an electronics company and we solder for a living I took it to one of our experts so he could check it out. He said these components will need too much heat to  change that it likely would damage the components around it. Even if it could be done it would be difficult because those pots near the  transistors need correct adjustments for this not to happen again. 

It was fun while it lasted...now I need something new here at work. Might go for the Schiit Vali 2

Aug 16, 2016 at 4:40 AM Post #5,115 of 5,554
Sad sad day today.....my Gustard died. I put it on when I came to work and after an hour I heard a noise from inside, and the smell of burned electronics and power disappeared. I knew it couldn't be good. I took off the lid and immediately noticed the exploded and cracked darlington transistors.

Sorry to hear that, tommo. That's the second one of those transistors I've seen blow like that in a catastrophic manner.
I'm not sure that makes it a matter of concern for all Gustard owners but it seems like a possible point of weakness for them.

Is that a TO-99 Op Amp heat sink I see on the right side of the pic? Looks to be one of the dual Op Amps? What were you using there?

Again, sorry for your loss, tommo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back