GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone Amplifier
Aug 16, 2016 at 4:47 AM Post #5,116 of 5,553
Sad sad day today.....my Gustard died. I put it on when I came to work and after an hour I heard a noise from inside, and the smell of burned electronics and power disappeared. I knew it couldn't be good. I took off the lid and immediately noticed the exploded and cracked darlington transistors.

Since I worked at an electronics company and we solder for a living I took it to one of our experts so he could check it out. He said these components will need too much heat to  change that it likely would damage the components around it. Even if it could be done it would be difficult because those pots near the  transistors need correct adjustments for this not to happen again. 

It was fun while it lasted...now I need something new here at work. Might go for the Schiit Vali 2

Just curious, are you using the new V5i opamp from burson. I had move on to Audiogd C2 11A though.

Aug 16, 2016 at 4:49 AM Post #5,118 of 5,553
Sorry to hear that, tommo. That's the second one of those transistors I've seen blow like that in a catastrophic manner.
I'm not sure that makes it a matter of concern for all Gustard owners but it seems like a possible point of weakness for them.

Is that a TO-99 Op Amp heat sink I see on the right side of the pic? Looks to be one of the dual Op Amps? What were you using there?

Again, sorry for your loss, tommo.

Yep, it's a To-99 heatsink on LM49720HA dual opamps. I preferred them to the dual Burson V5i's in that position. I used single V5i's in the other positions.

Looks like I'm getting a 2 month old Valhalla 2 as replacement.

I have had the Gustard for over 2 years, so I got a good run on it. Sad to see it go though.

Aug 16, 2016 at 8:29 AM Post #5,119 of 5,553
Some more damage spotted: Also the small caps around the power-regulators that burst are bulging.

Aug 16, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #5,120 of 5,553
Considering grabbing SS3602 duals and V5i singles.  Man these things get expensive :O

Still need to get rid of these dt990s too.  I wish hifiman re-released he500 with the comfort, weight and connectors of the he400S :frowning2:

Aug 18, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #5,121 of 5,553
  Considering grabbing SS3602 duals and V5i singles.  Man these things get expensive :O

Still need to get rid of these dt990s too.  I wish hifiman re-released he500 with the comfort, weight and connectors of the he400S :frowning2:

Plz let me know when that happens with the HE500 :)

On a different note, I've posted my review of the Burson V5i.
This was my first opamp rolling experience, and I really enjoyed it.
I hope this doesn't become another rabbit hole that I fall into. I've done my share of tube rolling :p

Aug 20, 2016 at 3:53 AM Post #5,122 of 5,553
  Yep, it's a To-99 heatsink on LM49720HA dual opamps. I preferred them to the dual Burson V5i's in that position. I used single V5i's in the other positions.

Looks like I'm getting a 2 month old Valhalla 2 as replacement.

I have had the Gustard for over 2 years, so I got a good run on it. Sad to see it go though.

Thinking to plug LM49720HA dual opamps replace opa627 dual. Do I need adapter for LM49720HA dual opamps? Consider the pin in round format.

`ron`

Aug 21, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #5,123 of 5,553
  Sad sad day today.....my Gustard died. I put it on when I came to work and after an hour I heard a noise from inside, and the smell of burned electronics and power disappeared. I knew it couldn't be good. I took off the lid and immediately noticed the exploded and cracked darlington transistors.

Since I worked at an electronics company and we solder for a living I took it to one of our experts so he could check it out. He said these components will need too much heat to  change that it likely would damage the components around it. Even if it could be done it would be difficult because those pots near the  transistors need correct adjustments for this not to happen again. 

It was fun while it lasted...now I need something new here at work. Might go for the Schiit Vali 2

How long did you have the unit before it went bad?

Aug 22, 2016 at 12:57 AM Post #5,124 of 5,553
  How long did you have the unit before it went bad?

I had it for approx 18 months. It didn't give me a warning before it went up in smoke, but I have on a regular basis left it on for 2-3 days at a time when burning in new headphones, and as we all know it gets quite warm. Burson have warned about this and therefor also saw the need to make an additional heatsink to lead the heat out. In my case, this heatsink wasn't enough and I belive that the Gustard H10, for longevity, can't be left on for such a long time on a regular basis.

I've used the Burson V5 since around last christmas, and the V5i's after the V5's melted on me. I can't say these caused the breakdown either, but just FYI.

Aug 30, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #5,125 of 5,553
     Good afternoon everyone! I know this may sound stupid but after having this amp (Gustard H10) and the DAC (Gustard Dac X12), I just wanted to know what makes them so special? My brother and I have both have both done back to back blind A-B test with this and the Schiit Uber Stack (Magni 2 Uber & Modi 2 Uber) and barely noticed a difference, perhaps a tad smoother response and a slightly more filled in bass/mid region but even if that were that case it's certainly doesn't seem like it's worth anywhere near it's original price. Those minuet differences are to the point that are borderline neglectable. I admit that it appears "well built" but what's the point of having this (moderate sized/weighty dac/amp combo) if it hardly sounds any different from a DAC/AMP combo that not only cost a bit less together, also well built/comes with a variety of connectors (a pre-amp section in which the Gustard lacks) while taking up significantly less space at the same time?

I'm in no means a fanboy to Schiit Audio but I have to admit that the Gustard Combo didn't really "outclass" the Schiit Uber stack like many head-fiers made it seem like. If anything, the Schiit Uber Stack was just as good; the minuet the differences the Gustard showed were in no ways things I would call "advantages" . I understand that the H10 outputs more power but isn't the Gustard Combo also more power hungry while being "less energy efficient" as well? I'm asking because from a volume standpoint both combos came out quite clean and with plenty of power to not even have me question whether my HE-560s were being "under-driven" in anyway. I'm not here to rip the product or anyone who has it just being absolutely honest. If I came off as "rude" I apologize, if I came off as "ignorant" please feel free to enlighten me. Anyways, take care and I hope you all have an excellent week!

Other info: 
Headphones: Hifiman HE-560
Music Player: Foobar 2000 (Wasapi plugin included). 

Amps: 
Gustard H10 (Fully Stock)
Schiit Magni 2 Uber

DAC
Gustard Dac X12 (Stock)
Schiit Modi 2 Uber. 

Aug 30, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #5,126 of 5,553
       Good afternoon everyone! I know this may sound stupid but after having this amp (Gustard H10) and the DAC (Gustard Dac X12), I just wanted to know what makes them so special? My brother and I have both have both done back to back blind A-B test with this and the Schiit Uber Stack (Magni 2 Uber & Modi 2 Uber) and barely noticed a difference, perhaps a tad smoother response and a slightly more filled in bass/mid region but even if that were that case it's certainly doesn't seem like it's worth anywhere near it's original price. Those minuet differences are to the point that are borderline neglectable. I admit that it appears "well built" but what's the point of having this (moderate sized/weighty dac/amp combo) if it hardly sounds any different from a DAC/AMP combo that not only cost a bit less together, also well built/comes with a variety of connectors (a pre-amp section in which the Gustard lacks) while taking up significantly less space at the same time?

I'm in no means a fanboy to Schiit Audio but I have to admit that the Gustard Combo didn't really "outclass" the Schiit Uber stack like many head-fiers made it seem like. If anything, the Schiit Uber Stack was just as good; the minuet the differences the Gustard showed were in no ways things I would call "advantages" . I understand that the H10 outputs more power but isn't the Gustard Combo also more power hungry while being "less energy efficient" as well? I'm asking because from a volume standpoint both combos came out quite clean and with plenty of power to not even have me question whether my HE-560s were being "under-driven" in anyway. I'm not here to rip the product or anyone who has it just being absolutely honest. If I came off as "rude" I apologize, if I came off as "ignorant" please feel free to enlighten me. Anyways, take care and I hope you all have an excellent week!

Other info: 
Headphones: Hifiman HE-560
Music Player: Foobar 2000 (Wasapi plugin included). 

Amps: 
Gustard H10 (Fully Stock)
Schiit Magni 2 Uber

DAC
Gustard Dac X12 (Stock)
Schiit Modi 2 Uber. 

At the risk of jumping in a pit of fire I'm responding to this post.

It would sound to me based on your subjective analysis that there is nothing that makes the Gustard AMP/DAC combo any more special that the Schiit Magni/Modi Uber combo.  If the difference is that negligible to you then it would probably make the most sense to sell the Gustard combo and live happily with the Schiit ubers. You could invest that Gustard money into a trip or some other hobby or even the necessities of life.

Personally I've found my Gustard H10 to be significantly smoother and generally more detailed than the Schiit Magni 2 (non-uber) I used to own.  I'd even say I prefer the H10 to the Asgard 2 which I still own.  I've never owned a Gustard or Schiit DAC so I don't yet have an opinion there.  For the record, I feed my Gustard H10 with balanced XLR from an Aune S16 the Aune being fed AES XLR digital from a Gustard U12 digital interface from my Windows desktop PC.

Maybe those Hifiman HE-560s are so good that neither the Schiit or Gustard combo are revealing enough.  I've not had an opportunity to hear the HE-560 however I do have the HE-400i, Audeze EL-8 Open, Sen HD600 and I think they sound generally a bit smoother and more detailed through the H10 than the Asgard 2 and that is with the S16 being source for both. The Asgard does have more top end and a more in your face sound signature.  Is the difference night and day?  No, more like dawn to daylight.

In regard to power use, I'm sure the Gustard uses more power.  Both Gustard components have larger power supplies and it is my understanding that the H10 is class A which would generally point to it being much less efficient.  However when comparing the difference in power use over the course of a year I doubt there would be more than $10 or $15 between the two over the course of a year and that's if you ran them 24/7.  Just shaving a few degrees off your home thermostat would save much more money/energy, over the course of time, if that is a real concern.

Below are some things I've figured out after spending way too much money in this headphone gear hobby/addiction.

- Sound preference is highly subjective and improvement/differences between various gear is often very subtle
- Cost to objective value quickly diminishes as price increases
- Subjective value varies greatly from individual to individual and is most always dictated by income bracket/disposable income.

Anyway.... sell that Gustard combo if the difference is minimal.  Being able to settle on only a few components and headphones is a boon to your pocketbook in this hobby.  Your retirement fund will thank you several decades down the road.

Now I've just got to convince myself and quit buying more amps, dacs and headphones.

Aug 31, 2016 at 1:38 AM Post #5,127 of 5,553
I was unfortunate that my H10 blew up a couple of weeks a go, but I got lucky and bought a second hand Schiit Valhalla 2 the next day, and I have to tell you that even though I was very satisfied with my Burson op-amped H10, the Valhalla 2 is better for me. I felt the H10 got a little dark(slightly veiled compared to the Valhalla 2) at times and lost some detail and clarity from upper mids and up to the treble range. The Valhalla uses tubes, but it's not as tube-sounding as other tube amps I've tried. It's for me and my taste better than the H10. I feel it's got a little bit more of everything, not by a mile, but enough for me to notice it already on first listen. I also believe changing the tubes gives more of a change than rolling op-amps in the H10. Just my 2 cents..

Aug 31, 2016 at 3:05 AM Post #5,129 of 5,553
Aug 31, 2016 at 4:31 AM Post #5,130 of 5,553

Schiit has a new balanced amp that can drive even the he6. With built in dac it's only $499.00

Users who are viewing this thread

Back