GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone Amplifier
Jun 23, 2016 at 8:07 AM Post #5,086 of 5,553
Never got to have much of a play yesterday as my work shift turned into a mess ended up 18hour torture session working in IT sucks followed by a back in for another session five hours later.

Quiet now on the work front thankfully!!

Having a quick look for OP-Amps in the UK just to have a play with over the weekend, a quick sanity check from those in the know before I buy, am I looking at correct items here?

Free next day so not to bad.

http://uk.farnell.com/analog-devices/ad823anz/ic-op-amp-fet-r-r-dual-16mhz-823/dp/1438582

http://uk.farnell.com/analog-devices/ad797anz/ic-op-amp-u-low-noise-dip8-797/dp/9603778

Thanks
Rob

Edit: Think these were correct but never mind no need for a response now, bought some dual Bursons on the sales page and found a UK retailer with the singles. Got up to the point in this thread where Bursons were being discussed after this post of mine look forward to it. Thanks

Personally hoping for more air stock feels great mids/vocals but wanting more everywhere else. *from very short listen.

Jun 26, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #5,087 of 5,553
H10+V5i full boat, not burned-in, vs Soloist SL, first impressions
Headphones: IE80.

- Sound signature is practically the same, it's clear that Burson has a house sound signature.
- On many tracks there's practically no difference.
- On acoustic guitars Soloist SL has a slight edge in spectral fullness - decay is a bit longer and fuller on Soloist, making guitars sound a tad more musical.
- Difference is the smallest between any 2 amps I've had so far.
- Will repeat next week after burn-in.

Jun 28, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #5,088 of 5,553
Back on board the Gustard boat.   Sold my first H10 a year ago and just bought another
used.  It pairs very well (to these old, but experienced ears) with the AQ Nighthawk.   I
also have a Burson that will soon go up for sale because the slight midrange warmth of
the H10 is very synergistic in bringing the mids on the Nighthawks forward a touch.

Bass is stronger on the H10 although possibly not as taut.  Still, I like a little roundness
in the bottom end, so it works well for me.
YMMV,
Hibuck...

Jul 5, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #5,089 of 5,553
Hi, I just got a second hand Gustard H10.
Does anyone experience channel imbalance issues at low to mid volume levels?
I should have known when I first opened the box and saw the gain settings to be different for the right and left in the back.
Even reverting back to how it was orginally set by the previous owner, I believe there's still slight imbalance.

Could outside force during shipping affect such issues?
The amp wasn't packed very well, The bottom of the unit only had a half worn thin layer of bubble wrap.

Jul 5, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #5,091 of 5,553
@happyguitarist
Thanks for the quick response.

However, the problem is the volume has to be set pretty high to perhaps get rid of the problem.
At that point I'm not sure if that actually corrects the problem or if the volume is too high for me to discern any differences as I can't keep the headphones on for too long.

I'm not sure if I should keep the amp with different gain settings for the left and right or just return it.
Even then there's slight imbalance the other way around (now left is slightly louder than right at my normal listening volume).

Jul 5, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #5,092 of 5,553
The imbalance should not be very noticeable, it seems like you might have other issues.  Maybe you could try setting the gain to -12 for both channels and setting the volume near 12:00 to see if the channels are balanced.

Jul 5, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #5,093 of 5,553
Good afternoon everyone. I have been noticing that my Gustard Combo (H10 & X12) seem to pause the audio for a split second then resume whenever I'm watching Youtube videos even though they're nearly fully loaded. Any reason why that may be? 

Jul 10, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #5,095 of 5,553
  H10+V5i full boat, not burned-in, vs Soloist SL, first impressions
Headphones: IE80.

- Sound signature is practically the same, it's clear that Burson has a house sound signature.
- On many tracks there's practically no difference.
- On acoustic guitars Soloist SL has a slight edge in spectral fullness - decay is a bit longer and fuller on Soloist, making guitars sound a tad more musical.
- Difference is the smallest between any 2 amps I've had so far.
- Will repeat next week after burn-in.

Update after 1 week of burn-in: precisely the same sound. Impression relative to Soloist SL didn't change.

Jul 10, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #5,096 of 5,553
Hmmm. I have a Soloist SL and a H10. With same source on my AQ Nighthawks,
The sound is warmer and fuller on the Gustard.
Hibuck...

Jul 10, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #5,097 of 5,553
Hmmm. I have a Soloist SL and a H10. With same source on my AQ Nighthawks,
The sound is warmer and fuller on the Gustard.
Hibuck...

Any further thoughts in comparing the two?

I also have both that I'm A/B'ing everyday. I'm having a hard time to pick between the two for my HE500.
I too notice the H10 to be warmer with fuller mids, whereas the SL does a better job with the highs and possibly the lows (this I'll have to listen more). Would be great to hear other people's experience with the two.

*Btw, the channel imbalance isn't an issue any more.
It just happened to be my first experience to hear any noticeable imbalance (at low volume) with amps.

Jul 18, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #5,098 of 5,553
I brought my Gustard X10/DAC X12 stack to the San Francisco HeadFi meet last Saturday.  Though looking rather outclassed among the summit-fi gear, the combination driving HE-500 cans drew complimentary reviews from those that tried it.  I have the full Burson V5 upgrade in my X10, and at the end of the show DecentLevi put it up against a few other amps for side-by-side comparisons.  He thought the X10 sounded better than the Cavalli Liquid Carbon that was there (he mentioned it was a discontinued version, though), but that it was edged out by his 6-tube configured Feliks Elise, which he felt was more revealing of detail.

Jul 19, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #5,100 of 5,553
  I brought my Gustard X10/DAC X12 stack to the San Francisco HeadFi meet last Saturday.  Though looking rather outclassed among the summit-fi gear, the combination driving HE-500 cans drew complimentary reviews from those that tried it.  I have the full Burson V5 upgrade in my X10, and at the end of the show DecentLevi put it up against a few other amps for side-by-side comparisons.  He thought the X10 sounded better than the Cavalli Liquid Carbon that was there (he mentioned it was a discontinued version, though), but that it was edged out by his 6-tube configured Feliks Elise, which he felt was more revealing of detail.

I had the same finding when I had the Carbon for a week.  3 out of 3 people that A/B the two amps chose the H10 with the Bursons.  The owner of the Carbon sold it afterwards.  I thought the Carbon sounded very good, but like the H10 just a bit more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back