GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone Amplifier
May 23, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #4,981 of 5,552

Heatsinks on Burson's opamps seem not to be very effective because the heat inside the H10 might be beyond the tolerance of Bursons. Reducing the heat of the whole H10 seems to be more critical.

I was thinking of adding those copper gpu heatinks to the H10 itself, i dont know if i still have them or they made the trash-voyage years ago ill have to look, they werent big and they are well built. If i had one of those infrared thermometers that would be helpful.

For $27 plus shipping costs, you could start by just setting two of these 300mm x 120mm aluminum heat sinks on top of the H10 case, side by side - without attaching them or using any thermal cement:

http://www.lck-led.com/aluminum-heatsink-15x3w-40x1w-300x120x20mm-black-p-946.html

You would be surprised how effective this can be. I routinely use a small heat sink placed underneath my CEntrance DACport - which can get quite warm, running in Class A.  

You would think that with the fins down against the table, nothing could be accomplished. No doubt, it would be more effective if the heat sink was on top of the heat source, but this arrangement works extremely well, pulling down the temperature of the DACport so much, it's obvious just by touching it.  The only trick is to make sure the two flat surfaces are in close contact with each other.

So, putting a large heat sink on top of the H10 case, seems like a great idea to me.

The H10 has a footprint of 385mm x 280mm (15-3/8 in. x 11 in.).  The bigger the heat sink, the better.

biggrin.gif

Mike

May 23, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #4,982 of 5,552
Hi all,

I've been away for a while (last active around the time the SS5 OpAmps were announced) and I'm intrigued by all the overheating talk. I was tempted to pick them up (back then) but stuck with my full boat SS4 OpAmps, they're pretty great in my opinion. Has anyone discussed why the SS5s are so sensitive to the H10 heat while the SS4s seem to handle it fine?

- tret

May 23, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #4,984 of 5,552
Hi all,

I've been away for a while (last active around the time the SS5 OpAmps were announced) and I'm intrigued by all the overheating talk. I was tempted to pick them up (back then) but stuck with my full boat SS4 OpAmps, they're pretty great in my opinion. Has anyone discussed why the SS5s are so sensitive to the H10 heat while the SS4s seem to handle it fine?

- tret

It's not necessarily the temp, but the voltage rating. The V4 are rated for 20v, the v5 is rated 17v. The H10 is supplying 18v.

May 23, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #4,985 of 5,552

Hi all,

- tret

It's not necessarily the temp, but the voltage rating. The V4 are rated for 20v, the v5 is rated 17v. The H10 is supplying 18v.

I just received my full set of SS v5 Op-Amps last week with the heatsink provided by SS/Burson.  They sound fantastic and really open up the sound of the H10 however after only about ten hours the dual V5 in the right channel started to produce a crackling and popping noise which just became worse.  I swapped the dual V5s and the crackling and popping moved to the left side.  I've gone back to stock duals and for the time being the single V5s are behaving.  Still sounds good but not quite as lush and transparent as it was with the addition of the duals. Oh and for the record I run my H10 at +6 gain only so the issues with these Op-Amps failing at lower gain settings should not be an issue in my case.

I've contacted Burson regarding the issue but I've no heard back yet.  No doubt they will take care of the problem Op-Amp.

I'd say given the situation you may want to consider sticking with the V4s unless you really think the sound improvement is worth the potential risk.

May 23, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #4,986 of 5,552

Ah, that makes sense. Seems like a pretty big oversight, bummer. Perhaps they could/should release an updated version capable of handling the 18v seeing as how they get a lot of love from the H10 crowd. Anyway, thanks for the info.

I'd say given the situation you may want to consider sticking with the V4s unless you really think the sound improvement is worth the potential risk.

This is my plan unless I see some kind of solid solution from the folks at Burson.

May 24, 2016 at 7:06 AM Post #4,992 of 5,552

Ah, that makes sense. Seems like a pretty big oversight, bummer. Perhaps they could/should release an updated version capable of handling the 18v seeing as how they get a lot of love from the H10 crowd. Anyway, thanks for the info.

This is my plan unless I see some kind of solid solution from the folks at Burson.

I ordered a pair of the new 5Vi-s (singles) to give them a try in my H10. They arrived yesterday but unfortunately they only sent one! A second one is on the way.

When I contacted them originally they assured me that these new ones have no problems with the H10 as with their other modules. They are not discrete opamps however. They have an IC opamp housed with some surrounding surface mount components and encased in a metal cover that probably both shields and doubles as a heatsink. Being an IC does not necessarily mean that they will not sound as good ...but we shall see. I wonder what the IC opamp is?

May 24, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #4,994 of 5,552

I ordered a pair of the new 5Vi-s (singles) to give them a try in my H10. They arrived yesterday but unfortunately they only sent one! A second one is on the way.

When I contacted them originally they assured me that these new ones have no problems with the H10 as with their other modules. They are not discrete opamps however. They have an IC opamp housed with some surrounding surface mount components and encased in a metal cover that probably both shields and doubles as a heatsink. Being an IC does not necessarily mean that they will not sound as good ...but we shall see. I wonder what the IC opamp is?

Did you get a dispatch email when they sent yours? I haven't received anything from them since I ordered.

May 25, 2016 at 6:53 AM Post #4,995 of 5,552
They did not send 
  Did you get a dispatch email when they sent yours? I haven't received anything from them since I ordered.

They did not send a shipping email when I first ordered or when they said they would send the second opamp. They did reply promptly to my email letting them know of the error but I did communicate via PayPal so that might have motivated them.

To their credit they took my word for the missing part....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back