GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone Amplifier
Mar 20, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #4,670 of 5,552
Guys, I did it. I've just purchased the new batch Burson V5 Opamps... Not sure, if it's already Christmas, but hey.

I'll post my impressions as soon as I've got them and testet properly.

Mar 20, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #4,672 of 5,552
  Hey guys, I'm looking at the massdrop for the Gustard X12. Is it a good deal? What are some other options around $450 if the drop doesn't go through?

Time is short on the drop, but I suspect they'll be back again, so I wouldn't commit myself unless I was reasonably convinced.  I don't have much to compare it to, it's as musical and clean as my m9xx but with noticeably more detail.  Also handles more input and output formats if that's a factor for you.  It's the best DAC I've got so far, other reviews compared it favorably to the Gungnir.  Shenzenaudio's price is $500, don't know what they ask for shipping.

Mar 21, 2016 at 2:32 AM Post #4,673 of 5,552

Remove/Change the houssing with an aluminum or coper one.. They should work up to 85'C ...

Strongly not recommended
In case you really want to do this, then:
- you'll loose Burson's life-time warranty
- it will be very difficult to remove existing red plastic housing because of internal yellow molded thermal compound
- short circuit might occur if external aluminum/copper housing will get installed

For those really needing an external copper housing then have a look at BURSON SS website because there's already a copper housing made especially for the V5 SS opmaps, but it needs to be properly grounded (no need to remove existing red plastic housing). It's been designed to minimize external EMI/RFI noise, so it's basically a copper shield to minimize noise injection.

Mar 21, 2016 at 3:08 AM Post #4,674 of 5,552
Hi Guys, 

Sorry I could not replied earlier, due to our weekend break. If you have any questions and request please send via our main email. PM system is not working for me right now since we right now. 

Here is a bigger photo of the heatsink as requested: 

Yes, the heatsink part is hold by two double sided thermal tape. Thanks again for all your support. 

Dennis

Burson Audio Stay updated on Burson Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/BursonAudio https://twitter.com/bursonaudio http://www.bursonaudio.com/products/
Mar 21, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #4,675 of 5,552
  Strongly not recommended
In case you really want to do this, then:
- you'll loose Burson's life-time warranty
- it will be very difficult to remove existing red plastic housing because of internal yellow molded thermal compound
- short circuit might occur if external aluminum/copper housing will get installed

For those really needing an external copper housing then have a look at BURSON SS website because there's already a copper housing made especially for the V5 SS opmaps, but it needs to be properly grounded (no need to remove existing red plastic housing). It's been designed to minimize external EMI/RFI noise, so it's basically a copper shield to minimize noise injection.

I agree unless someone really wanted to venture. 

Mar 21, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #4,676 of 5,552
  Hi Guys, 

Sorry I could not replied earlier, due to our weekend break. If you have any questions and request please send via our main email. PM system is not working for me right now since we right now. 

Here is a bigger photo of the heatsink as requested: 

Yes, the heatsink part is hold by two double sided thermal tape. Thanks again for all your support. 

Dennis

This can surely help to dissipate heat generated from those transistors in the amplification section. Hope this can provide a friendlier environment for Burson's op amps.  

Mar 21, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #4,678 of 5,552
Mine ended up 0.344 inches thick, but the thermal pad material hasn't arrived yet, so that's not final.  I'm also not sure how consistent the H10 dimensions are from unit to unit.

Update: As I thought, this was too tight a fit with the thermal pad.  Probably need to reduce that dimension by about 50% of the pad's thickness to allow it to compress, eg: about 0.324 inches thick with a single 1mm pad.

Mar 21, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #4,679 of 5,552
Just received my package and inside, two sets of doubles and one set of singles! Counting the two sets of singles I received last time on accident (one of them poofed into smoke and was promptly returned) That means I have two full boats. Thank you very much Burson! Now to burn these in until the heat sink arrives.

Mar 21, 2016 at 11:36 PM Post #4,680 of 5,552
Still haven't seen my replacement v5s. But fedex did get busted for stealing electronic items here today. Wouldn't that suck. Straight in the trash. I dunno how many guys they got but I know it's been going on there for years. Buds used to work there told me never order a computer fedex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back