GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone Amplifier
Mar 22, 2016 at 1:22 AM Post #4,682 of 5,552
Here is a treat for hi-def junkies here:

http://primeseat.net/en/

Long story short, you can listen to selected dsd64/dsd128 recordings there for free as long as your DAC supports it.
You will have to install their free app, they have got version for either Windows or Mac (no linux support, boo).

I especially like their currently available "The 10th anniversary live concert of the Blue Coast Records St. Valentine Day's" Part2 (Alex de Grassi). Amazing acoustic guitar work.

Now, here is interesting (and relevant) part.

I can hear a difference in dsd128 - it is SO MUCH better than either dsd64 or 196/24 - but only when I listen on my KEF LS50 loudspeakers - ambiance, depth and detail are simply unreal, it is not a subtle difference at all. dsd128 is simply jaw dropping.
And dsd64 to me sounds not any better than 196/24 (and if I understand technical details, it probably should not).

But alas, all my headphone gear, including H10, is unable to reproduce that difference of dsd128. Even BH Crack, while usually a bit better on the ambiance part, is blind to those differences.
I mean, dsd64 sounds same as dsd128 and 196/24. And  dsd128 is a bit better than 96/24, but difference is rather small.
And neither T70 nor 400i cuts it.

And here comes my plea...
Could somebody with a full boat give this a try? Wondering if upgrade improves resolution of H10 enough to hear that difference.

Mar 22, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #4,683 of 5,552
  Here is a treat for hi-def junkies here:

http://primeseat.net/en/

Long story short, you can listen to selected dsd64/dsd128 recordings there for free as long as your DAC supports it.
You will have to install their free app, they have got version for either Windows or Mac (no linux support, boo).

I especially like their currently available "The 10th anniversary live concert of the Blue Coast Records St. Valentine Day's" Part2 (Alex de Grassi). Amazing acoustic guitar work.

Now, here is interesting (and relevant) part.

I can hear a difference in dsd128 - it is SO MUCH better than either dsd64 or 196/24 - but only when I listen on my KEF LS50 loudspeakers - ambiance, depth and detail are simply unreal, it is not a subtle difference at all. dsd128 is simply jaw dropping.
And dsd64 to me sounds not any better than 196/24 (and if I understand technical details, it probably should not).

But alas, all my headphone gear, including H10, is unable to reproduce that difference of dsd128. Even BH Crack, while usually a bit better on the ambiance part, is blind to those differences.
I mean, dsd64 sounds same as dsd128 and 196/24. And  dsd128 is a bit better than 96/24, but difference is rather small.
And neither T70 nor 400i cuts it.

And here comes my plea...
Could somebody with a full boat give this a try? Wondering if upgrade improves resolution of H10 enough to hear that difference.

It is like comparing apples to oranges. Also headphones and loudspeakers you are using for this comparison are from different leagues.

Mar 22, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #4,684 of 5,552
  Strongly not recommended
In case you really want to do this, then:
- you'll loose Burson's life-time warranty
- it will be very difficult to remove existing red plastic housing because of internal yellow molded thermal compound
- short circuit might occur if external aluminum/copper housing will get installed

For those really needing an external copper housing then have a look at BURSON SS website because there's already a copper housing made especially for the V5 SS opmaps, but it needs to be properly grounded (no need to remove existing red plastic housing). It's been designed to minimize external EMI/RFI noise, so it's basically a copper shield to minimize noise injection.

The photo at the Burson page looks as if it's nothing more than sefl-adhesive copper foil - which is fine, but I don't think it's in anyway more special than that.  My fear is that it might keep some heat inside the V5 while it keeps some EMI/RFI out.

http://www.amazon.com/Fly-Young-Copper-Conductive-Adhesive/dp/B013GEWN8I

Mar 22, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #4,685 of 5,552

It is like comparing apples to oranges. Also headphones and loudspeakers you are using for this comparison are from different leagues.

I like both apples and oranges
biggrin.gif

And so far I thought that my speakers and headphones were firmly in same mid-fi category (yes, speakers are 3x the price, but rule of thumb is that headphones are about 3x cheaper than comparable SQ speakers).
Current discovery makes me rethink that.

Good to know that info. I almost bought X12 to upgrade my source, but looks like so far it is far from being the bottleneck in my headphones setup.
Which is why I am wondering if improving my HP amplification by converting H10 to full boat is likely to affect the outcome...

Mar 23, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #4,688 of 5,552

The photo at the Burson page looks as if it's nothing more than sefl-adhesive copper foil - which is fine, but I don't think it's in anyway more special than that.  My fear is that it might keep some heat inside the V5 while it keeps some EMI/RFI out.

http://www.amazon.com/Fly-Young-Copper-Conductive-Adhesive/dp/B013GEWN8I

This is exactly what it is for: to keep EMI/RFI out of the op-amp.

Regarding internal temperature of op-amps, most likely this copper sheet will not decrease much the op-amp's temperature, but definitely will not make it worse, because it's copper foil and it dissipates temperature much better than V5's red plastic case...it's actually like a very small heat-sink. If you measure SS V5's temperature around it's plastic case you'll see that on bottom temp is higher then on top, so this copper sheet will definitely improve internal temp a little bit...just, like I said before, this copper sheet should be mostly used to shield the op-amps from external noises like power source for example or if used in not shielded equipment cases (plastic, wood etc.).

Mar 23, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #4,689 of 5,552
The H10 is available on Massdrop again for 6 more days but it hasn't reached the lowest drop price yet.  Has interest waned in the H10 or have there just been enough prior drops that demand has been met?

Mar 23, 2016 at 8:10 AM Post #4,690 of 5,552
I'm on the fence...

Mar 23, 2016 at 8:18 AM Post #4,691 of 5,552
Just a heads-up but there's a very good chance my full Burson H10 will be up for sale after this weekend. I am attending the S.E. Michigan Head-fi meet and will probably find my next amp.

Mar 23, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #4,692 of 5,552
Burson sent me one dual opamp. If swear I was told to put the duals in the post for return. Plural. Glad I didn't . I was waiting for the pkg to see what I was returning. I thought they may replace all 4. Nope, just one. :thinking:. I hope this works out

Mar 23, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #4,693 of 5,552
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GUSTARD-H10-High-Current-Class-A-Discrete-Output-Headphone-Amp-/252160495389

Anyone bought from this seller ?

i am between Lake people G109-A and Gustard.
Gustard has better design (on papers) but the g109 is almost as capable in amping ,with great build quality and warranty support.

Never seen an official site for the Gustard :p 

Any bad quality issues for the Gustard that i should now about ? 

Mar 23, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #4,694 of 5,552
  http://www.ebay.com/itm/GUSTARD-H10-High-Current-Class-A-Discrete-Output-Headphone-Amp-/252160495389

Anyone bought from this seller ?

i am between Lake people G109-A and Gustard.
Gustard has better design (on papers) but the g109 is almost as capable in amping ,with great build quality and warranty support.

Never seen an official site for the Gustard :p 

Any bad quality issues for the Gustard that i should now about ? 

Get the Gustard, you won't be disapointed. It is on sale at Massdrop. 
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/gustard-h10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back