GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone Amplifier
Mar 5, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #4,591 of 5,554
I can vouch for this too. Singles are a must.

BTW, I like your current picture much better...
beerchug.gif

Mar 5, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #4,592 of 5,554

I don't think any of them are a "must". Having gone through at least 6 sets of alternate opamps.. both single and double. Also having tried a full set of the Burson V4 and V5 opamps, I can say that some are better to my ears than others. I can also relate my experience when first hearing the H10 stock. It was quite wonderful.
My point is that many people not afflicted by the Head-Fi way of never quite being happy would likely be quite satisfied with the H10 stock. Opamps change nuances only! 
I have found that the differences are there when comparing opamps, but unlike some people I do not think that they are so pronounced that they would either make the amp into something great for the person that does not like it, nor turn it into something bad if they do like it.
For a person who has just bought an H10, I really suggest that you listen to it. If you buy into break in on a solid state amp, put the requisite hours on it. If you really like it, as I did, call it good and enjoy. If you do not like it, don't waste time and money with rolling opamps. They will not likely change your mind.

So what is worth it? I got the full set of V4s when they ran a special for H10 owners. Then got the whole set of V5s for $120. (IIRC) this makes it easier to swallow. At the current price for a full set, I would think long and hard about it. Still quite a bit of money to spend on a sub $300 amplifier if just buying the singles. So what do you value? How discriminating are your ears?  Your call.

Thanks for this. I've owned the Gustard for about 6 months now and I'm quite happy with the pairing with my HE500's. I was wondering about getting them as I was hoping to squeeze as much juice out of the amp as I possibly could as my next headphone upgrade was to be either the Audeze LCD2.2 or LCD3. I read a review somewhere showing the 2.2 to be very close to the 3 when paired with this amp as the 2.2 is there is a "blissful synergy", and seen as the H10 is basically a V200 clone it would be my endgame setup (until some point in the future maybe when I finish my studies and actually have some money in my pocket). So the idea was to add the Burson's and get the Audeze's and you know.....be content.

But then again the prices for the V5's are quite steep and people have said before the opamps already in the H10 are pretty good as is......

Ahhhh, decisions....

Mar 5, 2016 at 10:35 PM Post #4,593 of 5,554
I don't think any of them are a "must". Having gone through at least 6 sets of alternate opamps.. both single and double. Also having tried a full set of the Burson V4 and V5 opamps, I can say that some are better to my ears than others. I can also relate my experience when first hearing the H10 stock. It was quite wonderful.
My point is that many people not afflicted by the Head-Fi way of never quite being happy would likely be quite satisfied with the H10 stock. Opamps change nuances only! 
I have found that the differences are there when comparing opamps, but unlike some people I do not think that they are so pronounced that they would either make the amp into something great for the person that does not like it, nor turn it into something bad if they do like it.
For a person who has just bought an H10, I really suggest that you listen to it. If you buy into break in on a solid state amp, put the requisite hours on it. If you really like it, as I did, call it good and enjoy. If you do not like it, don't waste time and money with rolling opamps. They will not likely change your mind.

So what is worth it? I got the full set of V4s when they ran a special for H10 owners. Then got the whole set of V5s for $120. (IIRC) this makes it easier to swallow. At the current price for a full set, I would think long and hard about it. Still quite a bit of money to spend on a sub $300 amplifier if just buying the singles. So what do you value? How discriminating are your ears?  Your call.

I'll have to say no to that. It completely changed the sound signature for the better. Quieter background, improved treble, improved bass, made vocals even more realistic.

Not saying the stock op-amps are bad, but the Bursons make a dramatic difference.

Mar 5, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #4,594 of 5,554
I'll have to say there are too many variables for readers to put their trust in any criticism or praise for something as subtle as an op-amp. They are so system-dependent, and that includes how they sound with your recordings, your DAC and your headphones, as well as our own hearing skills and tastes - even if everyone in this thread is using the same amp.

Just buy the Burson V5 singles, listen to them and return them!

Unless, of course, they sound great to you - in your system.

biggrin.gif

Mike

Mar 5, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #4,595 of 5,554
Thank you fritobugger,
  Do you remember which seller ?  Everything okay with buying on Taobao ?

Thanks! 

I only see one seller on Taobao so I think it was the same one.

Mar 5, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #4,597 of 5,554
Mar 6, 2016 at 1:06 AM Post #4,598 of 5,554
  Quote:

Do you find the difference between the H10 + HE500 with the full V5's is worth it compared to just the H10 without the V5's (ofc completely subjective as to what's worth it but in your honest opinion)?

I'm quite satisfied with my combo without but interested maybe in the future in case I'm looking for a little more from the sound without the V5's.

Would I still enjoy the HE-500 with a stock H10? Yup, I sure would.

To me the V5's just refine/tailor the sound better to my liking.

As I have said many a times, my favourite thing about the V5's is how fluid the sound gets. It also helped a bit more with the HE-400's sharp treble (you could still hear it, but with the V5's it didn't really irritate me; more like a "Oh there's some sibilance there" *shurgs*)

Was it worth it? To me yea as with my current setup (NFB-15 -> H10(V5) - > HE500), I feel like I am quite set for awhile (at least until I finish my Bachelors
redface.gif
).
If you have the spare cash, I would say to give it a try. After all I do believe Burson does have a 30 day refund policy + lifetime warranty, and fantastic customer service.

Do consider to give them their recommended 100 hour burn in before passing complete judgement though.

Mar 6, 2016 at 2:04 AM Post #4,599 of 5,554
Mar 6, 2016 at 6:47 AM Post #4,600 of 5,554

Of course nothing is a must, but to my ears V5 singles vs stock singles have differences enough to say that stock op amps don't sound right at all. I've put in a lot of continous hours on both and since my V5s are faulty right now, stock op amps will have to do, but $70 for them are a good investment in my opinion since they have started to ship out higher voltage QCed and it has lifetime warranty. If you find them fine with stocks, no need to spend more on op amps, but V5s do smooth out sibilance for me and gains body just a little in general. Without EQ, I can't stand the 560 with stock.
For me, V5s change from meh to listenable without wanting more. I really wish I could try out the duals someday, but stock duals aren't so bad.

Mar 6, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #4,601 of 5,554
  Would I still enjoy the HE-500 with a stock H10? Yup, I sure would.

To me the V5's just refine/tailor the sound better to my liking.

As I have said many a times, my favourite thing about the V5's is how fluid the sound gets. It also helped a bit more with the HE-400's sharp treble (you could still hear it, but with the V5's it didn't really irritate me; more like a "Oh there's some sibilance there" *shurgs*)

Was it worth it? To me yea as with my current setup (NFB-15 -> H10(V5) - > HE500), I feel like I am quite set for awhile (at least until I finish my Bachelors
redface.gif
).
If you have the spare cash, I would say to give it a try. After all I do believe Burson does have a 30 day refund policy + lifetime warranty, and fantastic customer service.

Do consider to give them their recommended 100 hour burn in before passing complete judgement though.

Can't really do that mate, I'm in the UK and as far as I can see from the Burson site there aren't any distributors in the UK for them. Only way for me to get my hands on them is a seller on eBay shipping them from Germany 
frown.gif
(and one from Australia)
And as such have no idea if they'll be the ones which have gone through the more rigorous QC testing.
They're on sale there for £50 for 2 singles or 1 double here:
Singles: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-x-pair-Burson-Audio-Single-Opamps-Upgrading-for-your-system-Revision-V5-/131739541064?hash=item1eac49de48:g:pMAAOSw7FRWVMPa
Double: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-x-Burson-Audio-Dual-Opamp-Upgrading-for-your-system-one-unit/381560955053?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140122125356%26meid%3D7ac0b59dfa384e1fa68b0e7edd769306%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D3%26sd%3D131739541064

And to be perfectly honest I don't really know the difference between a single and double opamp 
confused_face_2.gif

Mar 6, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #4,603 of 5,554
I'll have to say no to that. It completely changed the sound signature for the better. Quieter background, improved treble, improved bass, made vocals even more realistic.

Not saying the stock op-amps are bad, but the Bursons make a dramatic difference.

I am using the Burson V5 full set now. I do prefer them to anything else that I have tried. Having said that, they most certainly did not completely change the sound signature. They do make some small improvements that I like for some specific headphones. This includes the 400i and 560.
However, I feel certain that I could identify the sound signature of the H10 easily regardless of the opamp that is installed. If opamps "completely" changed the sound signature, that would not be the case.
Again the differences are subtle and detecting them can be highly dependent on the rest of the reproduction chain. When someone asks whether they are worth it, and admit to having limited funds they probably need more than simply superlatives that are highly relative to personal taste and equipment. This is the only reason I commented at all. It surely was not to discount anyone else' thoughts.

Mar 6, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #4,604 of 5,554
Is purchasing directly from Burson not an option for you? (there's a combo box and add to cart button at the bottom of the page)

Also, like others have said, you could always just try out the singles first to get your feet a little wet.

EDIT:

The H10 has two sets of op-amps; two singles (which are located on the side) and two duals (which are near the rear connectors).
Here's a little guide I wrote if you need more thorough steps.

Mar 6, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #4,605 of 5,554
I am using the Burson V5 full set now. I do prefer them to anything else that I have tried. Having said that, they most certainly did not completely change the sound signature. They do make some small improvements that I like for some specific headphones. This includes the 400i and 560.
However, I feel certain that I could identify the sound signature of the H10 easily regardless of the opamp that is installed. If opamps "completely" changed the sound signature, that would not be the case.
Again the differences are subtle and detecting them can be highly dependent on the rest of the reproduction chain. When someone asks whether they are worth it, and admit to having limited funds they probably need more than simply superlatives that are highly relative to personal taste and equipment. This is the only reason I commented at all. It surely was not to discount anyone else' thoughts.

Maybe me saying it changed the sound signature was the incorrect term. It did "enhance" the sound for the better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back