GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone Amplifier
Mar 8, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #4,621 of 5,552

Sheesh!  LOL - I've never noticed that!  
tongue.gif

Well, I guess the thread's OP needs to tell us where he got that title.

All right, now I understand H10 is NOT a discrete amplifier.

I'm a fan of 'discrete' things basically but H10 seems to be a very good thing. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 8, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #4,623 of 5,552
I've put the apparently Undamaged v5 singles back in . They are doing well. Not like they did in tandem with the duals but, I've more clarity and extension at both ends. There is an improvement in texture, layering and soundstage. I'm undeniably hearing more in the music than with the stock. Reaching deeper extracting more information . Seems to lack the musicality of running both sets of v5s. Maybe even of the stock but the sound quality is worth that trade off . The duals are definately missed.

Mar 8, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #4,624 of 5,552
Hi guys,
Anyone tried Gustard H10 with LCD-2.2F? People say it's godly with pre-fazors, not much info with the Fazor version.

How you think it would it pair compared to Soloist SL?

Mar 9, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #4,625 of 5,552
  Hi, let me pose a question. H10 is described as a "discrete" amplifier, but many here are talking about opamp rolling. Why does the opamp rolling affect sound quality in spite of the discrete architecture?

I think the thread title refers to the amp as having a "discrete Class A" output stage. Having not seen the schematic I am not sure, but I thought the set of 4 transistors per channel mounted on the heat sink are the discrete output devices. Opamps change the sound because they precede the output devices in the circuit. The signal passes through the op amps so they contribute their sound to the output. The single opamps are a first gain stage, sort of like a preamp. Which is why , I am sure, most people feel like they make the biggest difference in the sound of the H10.

Mar 9, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #4,626 of 5,552

I think the thread title refers to the amp as having a "discrete Class A" output stage. Having not seen the schematic I am not sure, but I thought the set of 4 transistors per channel mounted on the heat sink are the discrete output devices. Opamps change the sound because they precede the output devices in the circuit. The signal passes through the op amps so they contribute their sound to the output. The single opamps are a first gain stage, sort of like a preamp. Which is why , I am sure, most people feel like they make the biggest difference in the sound of the H10.

That is my understanding too. 

Mar 12, 2016 at 1:29 AM Post #4,627 of 5,552
Burson has shipped my replacement v5 duals. This is from the new batch with the higher voltage req. I'll let you guys know when the get here and how they sound. I for one miss mine sorely. They seemed to anchor the sound with more body than singles plus stock. It's a much more subtle improvement but it's in my wheelhouse.

Mar 13, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #4,629 of 5,552
Mar 15, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #4,632 of 5,552
I'm looking for an amp that is relatively powerful like the H10 with a smaller footprint. Besides the Liquid carbon (which is a lot more expensive than I would rather shell out), the iFi iCAN looks interesting. Does anyone own both and can compare both, using either the HD800 or the T1?

Also, any other options besides either H10 or the iFi to amp the 2 headphones? I don't anticipate ever using planars cuz of their weight so I don't need something crazy powerful.

Mar 15, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #4,633 of 5,552
I'm looking for an amp that is relatively powerful like the H10 with a smaller footprint. Besides the Liquid carbon (which is a lot more expensive than I would rather shell out), the iFi iCAN looks interesting. Does anyone own both and can compare both, using either the HD800 or the T1?

Also, any other options besides either H10 or the iFi to amp the 2 headphones? I don't anticipate ever using planars cuz of their weight so I don't need something crazy powerful.

I had the ifi Ican when I first received my H10. Bone stock, the H10 was far superior with the HD600 cans I had at the time. I sold the Ican without a moment's hesitation. With HE560's that i later purchased, I have no doubt that the performance gap between these two amps would grow even larger. When you consider the modding opportunities with the H10, and particularly when you run better op-amps, there really should be no reason to even consider the Ican, unless its size and built in filter effects mean more to you than overall sound quality.

Mar 16, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #4,634 of 5,552

Possibly the Matrix M-Stage HPA-3b.

Mar 16, 2016 at 1:00 AM Post #4,635 of 5,552

Users who are viewing this thread

Back