GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone Amplifier
Feb 2, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #4,369 of 5,553
Boy does this thing look great.

I noticed my volume pot has some side to side jiggle to it, which makes a nice clunky metal noise inside -_-

With the most amount of jiggle at the quietest volume setting, and least jiggle at the loudest setting.

I clearly don't have the manpower to take the case off with a hex driver so I might have to bust out a power tool. Hopefully it's not a big deal

Edit: Also my plug says 6A 250V, is this going to be an issue if the amp I have is supposed to be 110v? 

Feb 2, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #4,370 of 5,553
Boy does this thing look great.

I noticed my volume pot has some side to side jiggle to it, which makes a nice clunky metal noise inside -_-

With the most amount of jiggle at the quietest volume setting, and least jiggle at the loudest setting.

I clearly don't have the manpower to take the case off with a hex driver so I might have to bust out a power tool. Hopefully it's not a big deal

Edit: Also my plug says 6A 250V, is this going to be an issue if the amp I have is supposed to be 110v? 

Mine also jiggles, but the rest is like a tank. There are two voltage switches inside.

Feb 2, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #4,371 of 5,553
Mine also jiggles, but the rest is like a tank. There are two voltage switches inside.

Just checked inside, both set to 110v so I'm set.

Also the volume pot jiggle is because it looks like there is a small gap between where the metal rod goes through the case.  Probably less than 1mm, maybe half a mm. Tiny but enough for some jiggle action.

Feb 2, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #4,373 of 5,553
  Hmm a conundrum.  I have a volume pot on my dac, and on my headphone amp and they both can control the volume at the same time.  What to do?

In this case, I will turn the volume on the dac high and use the volume pot on the amp to adjust for a volume suitable for my ears. 

Let me know if any other options/configurations are better. 

Feb 2, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #4,374 of 5,553
  Hmm a conundrum.  I have a volume pot on my dac, and on my headphone amp and they both can control the volume at the same time.  What to do?

My DAC has a volume control with a remote control also.  I believe most SS amps can handle the full output of most any DAC.  I set my DAC at near full output then set my amp at a comfortable listening level.  I then make small adjustments with the remote to adjust levels for the dynamics of individual tracks.  If you don't have a remote do the above and adjust by whatever piece of equipment is the most convenient.

Feb 2, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #4,375 of 5,553
I just set my dac to max and use the H10 for actual volume control.  Seems to make more sense I think.

What do you guys think of burn in time with this unit?  I feel like I'm hearing more sub bass compared to my old nuforce icon hdp.  Hard to tell so early, I think my brain needs to adjust to this new 'normal' sound for a while before I can really pick it apart.  Using dt990s

Feb 2, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #4,376 of 5,553
Burn in time of at least 70 hours is a semi-consensus of local mateys.
And sound can take turn for the worse around 20-30 hours, nothing to be alarmed, no need to make a noose out of interconnects, it will clear up in time.

Some reported having no burn-in, so that happens too.

Feb 2, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #4,377 of 5,553

Just checked inside, both set to 110v so I'm set.

Also the volume pot jiggle is because it looks like there is a small gap between where the metal rod goes through the case.  Probably less than 1mm, maybe half a mm. Tiny but enough for some jiggle action.

I just checked the H10 on my desk. It jiggles a little, more obvious at the minimum. 

Feb 4, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #4,378 of 5,553
This amp really brings out the dt990s.  The bass hits harder, lower, dryer and faster.  The treble is much stronger too.  I can finally hear what people were talking about with the recessed mids in comparison to the bass/treble.  I always thought the dt990s sounded fairly normal with a small V curve, but that's only because my previous amp just wasn't giving them justice.  The V curve is definitely much stronger now.  The bass alone is miles ahead of where it used  to be.  It used to be all boomy with some glow.  Now it's just so damn dry, hard and fast.  I only have 20+ hrs at this point but the amp feels much less strained compared to the somewhat disappointment of hearing it for the first time.

I think I may be coming to the conclusion that the bass is just too overpowering compared to the other frequencies. (un)fortunately this only helps confirm the fact I need to grab some he-500s

Feb 4, 2016 at 8:04 AM Post #4,379 of 5,553
  This amp really brings out the dt990s.  The bass hits harder, lower, dryer and faster.  The treble is much stronger too.  I can finally hear what people were talking about with the recessed mids in comparison to the bass/treble.  I always thought the dt990s sounded fairly normal with a small V curve, but that's only because my previous amp just wasn't giving them justice.  The V curve is definitely much stronger now.  The bass alone is miles ahead of where it used  to be.  It used to be all boomy with some glow.  Now it's just so damn dry, hard and fast.  I only have 20+ hrs at this point but the amp feels much less strained compared to the somewhat disappointment of hearing it for the first time.

I think I may be coming to the conclusion that the bass is just too overpowering compared to the other frequencies. (un)fortunately this only helps confirm the fact I need to grab some he-500s

If you can bear the weight...
gs1000.gif
I think comfort is an important aspect to consider if sensitive to weight and fit. The only reason I didn't go with the HE-500 or LCD-2 was the weight, there is no way I can handle 500g for more than an hour. Well, warm is not my thing either so...you should also look into 400i, I heard it's a very good match with the H10.

Feb 4, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #4,380 of 5,553

If you really like the sound signature but would like to alleviate it's V curve a little, then you can try some of the equalizers depending on your music player. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back