GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone Amplifier
Apr 20, 2015 at 7:14 AM Post #1,276 of 5,552
Hello @Koolpep
, What were you talking about "Singer" with the H10 is great. Is that a DAC type? Also did you prefer the DACMini with the H10 better than the X12? Is so, what sonic attributes makes it better / worse? Thanks

Damn you autocorrect. It was supposed to be "synergy with the H10.." Sorry...

Cheers,
K

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #1,277 of 5,552
Something is changing in the h10. I have let it run constantly for 4 days, and listening for about 1-2 hrs each day to "check in" . It went from sounding really nice right out of the box, to sounding eh, to sounding great last night!

As an aside, I have also been convinced this week of the ability of a cable upgrade to change the sound as well. I have a silver plated cable for my iems that definitely bettered the bass response (depth and texture) of my iems. Just FYI, not trying to start a cable war!

I'm actually very interested in everyone's input on their cable experiences. I value the opinion of people with Gustard gear in particular :).

I'm another one that just recently got an aftermarket cable (an AWG20 copper cable from Forza Audioworks), and I also feel like they've changed how my headphones sound. I've actually been primarily listening to the LCD-2's with the cable, and I've been enjoying the experience very much with the H10 and X12.

The whole setup is exceptionally musical. Energetic, yet not fatiguing. Deep, textured bass. Engaging, emotional mids. Smooth across the frequency range, but detailed. All of these words apply to the H10 and/or X12 as well, though, so it's not necessarily the cable. But I feel like the cable might be bringing up the LCD-2's to a level closer to LCD-X's.

There's never been a blind test that showed that cables DO make a difference, but our brains and the way we perceive sensory input is extremely complex!

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #1,278 of 5,552

There's never been a blind test that showed that cables DO make a difference, but our brains and the way we perceive sensory input is extremely complex!

Whenever I compare my FAW cable to stock I definitely hear slightly better slam in the bass. I know it shouldn't make any difference yet it's always wow experience when the drums or bass kicks for the first time after changing cables. Funny how that works.

Just for fun I could try out "audiophile" power cables but nothing too expensive.

Apr 20, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #1,280 of 5,552
I believe @Koolpep has T90.

Apr 20, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #1,281 of 5,552
Any of you fine gentlemen using a DT880 or a T90 with your H10?

I believe @Koolpep has T90.

Ahhh, an edited post - I just got the first bit via email - so didn't read about the T90.

Yes, Koolpep to the rescue. I indeed have one. But Gustard at home, T90 in the office - will take T90 home tomorrow (workday here already ended) and can give you my impressions. Currently the best I heard the T90 sound was with the Bottlehead Crack (with SB) I will update this thread tomorrow.

I did listen briefly to the T90 with the H10 and really liked what I heard - but since that week I had like 3 new (for me) headphones lying around I focussed on the new ones....

Anything in particular that you would like me to check?

Cheers,
K

Apr 20, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #1,282 of 5,552

Ahhh, an edited post - I just got the first bit via email - so didn't read about the T90.

Yes, Koolpep to the rescue. I indeed have one. But Gustard at home, T90 in the office - will take T90 home tomorrow (workday here already ended) and can give you my impressions. Currently the best I heard the T90 sound was with the Bottlehead Crack (with SB) I will update this thread tomorrow.

I did listen briefly to the T90 with the H10 and really liked what I heard - but since that week I had like 3 new (for me) headphones lying around I focussed on the new ones....

Anything in particular that you would like me to check?

Cheers,
K

Nothing in particular. Just curious to know how some of the upper end Beyerdynamics sound. heard the T1 this weekend and loved it, but it's out of my price range.

Apr 20, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #1,284 of 5,552
planar headphone like He500, or Lcd2.2, is way better than dynamic phones like beyer...YMMV.

Yep YMMV because that really depends on your taste.

I have the latest LCD2, HE-400 (and the HE-560 for a week to review) and also listened to some amazing dynamic headphones like the Fostex TH900, Sennheiser HD800, Beyerdynamic T1 and others. I wouldn't call the planars leaps and bounds better....they are different. There is something about them...

Especially the Beyerdynamics like the T90 and T1 also have something very special about them, for me at least. 

I have a friend who has quite a nice collection LCD-X, LCD-XC, HE-6, TH900, T1 and HD800 and the best amps to drive each one. But when I asked him the question: If you could only keep one headphone, his answer was HD800. A dynamic.

So, indeed. Your mileage might vary.... :wink:
EDIT: Just seeing that you love classic music - that might explain strong love for planars...probably is a bit genre depending, though I love my planars with electronica too...hmmm

Apr 20, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #1,286 of 5,552
Looks like the U12 is getting its own drop over on that group-buy site we all know and love. 

The website that shall not be named is now allowed to be named.....

Massdrop.com, massdrop.com, massdrop.com

See, nothing is happening, I wasn't struck by lightn..zzzZZZZZZzzzzzZZZZZzzzzzZZZZZ

:p

Edit: Monty Python, Life of Brian reference. Since MD is now a producer of headphones (with the special K7XX) they are allowed to be named here.

Apr 20, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #1,287 of 5,552

Looks like the U12 is getting its own drop over on that group-buy site we all know and love. 

The website that shall not be named is now allowed to be named.....

Massdrop.com, massdrop.com, massdrop.com

See, nothing is happening, I wasn't struck by lightn..zzzZZZZZZzzzzzZZZZZzzzzzZZZZZ

tongue.gif

Edit: Monty Python, Life of Brian reference. Since MD is now a producer of headphones (with the special K7XX) they are allowed to be named here.

Excellent! Didn't know that. And knowing is half the battle. (Name that reference.)

Apr 20, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #1,288 of 5,552
Is HD800 with H10 and X12 worth it? I was thinking maybe I should sell my LCD2F and buy LCD2.2 and HD800. Unless I need another expensive amp to drive the HD800 well. That would require more money than I am willing to spend.

Apr 20, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #1,289 of 5,552
Excellent! Didn't know that. And knowing is half the battle. (Name that reference.)

The American hero? G.I.Joe....

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/pele5vptVgc[/VIDEO]

Sorry I cheated. At that time in Germany even if it would have been on TV (I think it was) it would have been dubbed in German :wink: and sounded less cool...

Apr 20, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #1,290 of 5,552
Is HD800 with H10 and X12 worth it? I was thinking maybe I should sell my LCD2F and buy LCD2.2 and HD800. Unless I need another expensive amp to drive the HD800 well. That would require more money than I am willing to spend.

Probably not the best pairing. A highly recommended sub-$500 amp for the HD 800 is the Valhalla 2. This headphone likes tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back