GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone Amplifier
Apr 15, 2015 at 6:06 AM Post #1,203 of 5,552

...So What was the net result of all of this tweeking?  I found that i got the same results that I did so many times in the past - images were slightly more focused and the bass and lower midrange tightened up noticeably - less bloat and less overhang.  If any of you are skeptical of this sort of thing- and you should be -  I urge you to play around with some damping material and different feet.  You can experiment by just putting them next to the stock feet and see if you hear any difference.  I did this numerous times before I settled on the more permanent application.  Of course this is entirely reversible, should I wish to upgrade to the X20 and sell my X12.

Hope you guys enjoyed this little show and tell.

Hello to the mastermind Mr. StuartMC

I'm planning to get the Gustard X12 soon. First, regarding your mod with the damping material feet.
* Are you confident that this actually improved the sound quality or do you think it could have been a placebo effect? And if you think you may be able to sell me a copy of your mod, then please PM me.

Next a question for you or anybody, about upgrades:
* Do you think a Schiit Wyrd (USB voltage stabilizer thing) would help to further improve the sound quality of the X12?
* Also do you think a USB cable upgrade, such as with the Wireworld Ultraviolet USB cable, or do you think the USB cable it comes with is already optimal? 

Thanks everybody!

Apr 15, 2015 at 6:07 AM Post #1,204 of 5,552
The H10 + X12 ---> LCD-X's + SubPac right now is just amazing. 

I was just listening to the HD800's from the M-Stage stack, and the Gustard stack makes the LCD-X's sound like they're in a whole new league compared to the HD800's.

Some people consider the M-Stage amp one of the best for the HD800's below $1000... Oh how times have changed.

Apr 15, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #1,207 of 5,552
Let us know your impression.
The parcel does not require your signature, so that you might be alerted until it arrives...sorry.
wink.gif

It was good with HE-6, and will be even better with you HE-500.

Apr 15, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #1,208 of 5,552
  Hello to the mastermind Mr. StuartMC

I'm planning to get the Gustard X12 soon. First, regarding your mod with the damping material feet.
* Are you confident that this actually improved the sound quality or do you think it could have been a placebo effect? And if you think you may be able to sell me a copy of your mod, then please PM me.

What do you mean by "sell me a copy of your mod?" He listed the feet he used; you can buy them and install them yourself. Unless you can find them on sale somewhere, the best price I could find was $20/foot = $80 total. I'm tempted, too, but for that money I'd think I'd spend a bit more and try the Mad Scientist Blackpod footers. But there are upgrades I'd do first (namely power cords)...or just take my girl out to dinner. 

Apr 15, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #1,209 of 5,552
What is the idea behind of different feet having any effect on sound quality other than hocus pocus?

I tried HQplayer. No noticeable difference in sound quality and the software itself is very bad. License is 150 euros.
rolleyes.gif
I'll rather use free software that is better.

Apr 15, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #1,210 of 5,552
My H10 should arrive today! Will be using it with my 500s as well...

Leave your amp on and run music through it constantly at normal volume for several days. Of course, listen to it.

I was not impressed with the amp until the fourth day. On the second day, I wanted to sell it. Now, I really enjoy it. The only problem I am having is that I am staying up too late listening to music.

Apr 15, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #1,212 of 5,552
Leave your amp on and run music through it constantly at normal volume for several days. Of course, listen to it.

I was not impressed with the amp until the fourth day. On the second day, I wanted to sell it. Now, I really enjoy it. The only problem I am having is that I am staying up too late listening to music.

Ha ha....and yet another one who, like me, wanted to practically hang themselves with their interconnects on or about day two. Yes, I actually did write that many months ago. Many of us have said this, but it bears repeating for those without the time to read the whole thread - the H10 has one of the most jekyl and Hyde break in transformations you will ever hear in a headphone amp.

Apr 15, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #1,213 of 5,552

Ha ha....and yet another one who, like me, wanted to practically hang themselves with their interconnects on or about day two. Yes, I actually did write that many months ago. Many of us have said this, but it bears repeating for those without the time to read the whole thread - the H10 has one of the most jekyl and Hyde break in transformations you will ever hear in a headphone amp.

Does this apply to me if I'm the second owner?

Apr 15, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #1,214 of 5,552
The transportation invites mechanical loading and passing through different climate does environmental loadings on any machine.
Everything can be deviated from originally broken-in position.

The break-in process means a stabilization process of electro-mechanical machine like H10, which has chemicals in capacitors and chips and transistors, and mechanicals in potentiometers and connections.
In theorectially maybe yes, even though your machine had been used in different locations.
It was my best amp for He-6 and LCD-2.2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back