GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone Amplifier
Mar 9, 2015 at 5:51 AM Post #856 of 5,553
@lukeap69

Haha!  

I really do want to hear the Battery DAC, so...  I've just now ordered it.  

I was all strapped into the bungee rig and you pushed me off the bridge.  :D

I have such a soft spot for battery-operated gear and this thing is so much smaller than the likes of a Beresford Bushmaster MkII - the 12V-powered oversampling DAC I had for a long while.

I might end up using it "portably" too - it could be just the ticket for allowing me to go "portable" with the iBasso PB2 balanced out to the HD800, which is only barely tolerable using my best oversampling DAC (either portable or desktop) - the PCM1592A Line Out of my FiiO X5 DAP (which also offers Coaxial Out).

Joy!

Mike

Hi Mike

Did you receive your battery powered R2R NOS DAC? Interested in your impressions... :smile:

Mar 9, 2015 at 7:33 AM Post #857 of 5,553
@lukeap69

Haha!  

I really do want to hear the Battery DAC, so...  I've just now ordered it.  

I was all strapped into the bungee rig and you pushed me off the bridge.  :D

I have such a soft spot for battery-operated gear and this thing is so much smaller than the likes of a Beresford Bushmaster MkII - the 12V-powered oversampling DAC I had for a long while.

I might end up using it "portably" too - it could be just the ticket for allowing me to go "portable" with the iBasso PB2 balanced out to the HD800, which is only barely tolerable using my best oversampling DAC (either portable or desktop) - the PCM1592A Line Out of my FiiO X5 DAP (which also offers Coaxial Out).

Joy!

Mike

Hi Mike

Did you receive your battery powered R2R NOS DAC? Interested in your impressions... :smile:

Not yet. :xf_eek:

I ordered it 17 days ago. Going on how quickly gear arrives from China, Paris is much farther from Dallas, Texas. :D

Tracking info doesn't provide an ETA, but it arrived in NYC on March 3rd, six days ago - 11 days after placing the order.

I suppose it's also a long way from NYC to Dallas! :D

Any day now...

Mar 9, 2015 at 7:36 AM Post #858 of 5,553
No kidding? It takes this long?...

Mar 9, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #860 of 5,553
Hope you receive it soon... Will be interested in your impressions... Of course, it is that good, I may end up buying one. 
biggrin.gif

Now back to regular programming... 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 10, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #862 of 5,553
  Hi Folks,

Has anyone had any experience pairing the Gustard H10 with Beyer T1? Any impressions or thoughts would be helpful.

Kind regards,

BangforBuck.

I've had that combination for a total of 24 hours now! 
happy_face1.gif
 Still breaking in, but so far I'm very happy with it. The plan is to replace my T1s with HE560s, but right now I can't think of why.

IMHO the H10 sounds warmer and fuller than both the Audio GD SA-31 and Bottlehead Crack (of course that depends on the tubes). All three amps are great, and probably very equal in overall quality, but for the moment I enjoy the fullness of the sound, which goes great with the clarity of the T1.

Mar 10, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #863 of 5,553
Greetings from a new member!  Because of the glowing reviews posted in this thread I have jumped into this hobby.  My system Will be a Pure I20 dock, a Gustard  X12 DAC, A Gustard H10 headphone amp an Audeze LCD-2F headphones.  The final piece arrived today(H10 amp).  Upon removing the amp from its packaging I was greeted with a loud rattling noise.  This was discussed elsewhere and found to be loose motherboard screws.  I removed the legs and then the IEC and 5 screws rolled out.  My problems is that removing the legs does not allow for the removal of the case.  The posts mentioned before did not include instructions on opening the case.  The fasteners on the sides and back appear to be rivets(at first I thought they might be hex heads or allen screws).  I really want to hook this up and start listening but I'm concerned about what 5 screws might have been holding together. What am I not seeing?  Please help a rookie!

Mar 10, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #865 of 5,553
Mar 11, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #866 of 5,553
Greetings from a new member!  Because of the glowing reviews posted in this thread I have jumped into this hobby.  My system Will be a Pure I20 dock, a Gustard  X12 DAC, A Gustard H10 headphone amp an Audeze LCD-2F headphones.  The final piece arrived today(H10 amp).  Upon removing the amp from its packaging I was greeted with a loud rattling noise.  This was discussed elsewhere and found to be loose motherboard screws.  I removed the legs and then the IEC and 5 screws rolled out.  My problems is that removing the legs does not allow for the removal of the case.  The posts mentioned before did not include instructions on opening the case.  The fasteners on the sides and back appear to be rivets(at first I thought they might be hex heads or allen screws).  I really want to hook this up and start listening but I'm concerned about what 5 screws might have been holding together. What am I not seeing?  Please help a rookie!

They aren't rivets they are square head screws. The top half of the case will lift off when you remove the top two screws on rear of the case and the top two screws on the front sides. The horizontal row of ridges half way up on each side of the case is actually where the top and bottom case halves dock together. They will separate once you get those screws out. I was able to use an Alan hex wrench on the front ones because they weren't too tight.

Mar 11, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #867 of 5,553

Congratulations! It's a wonderful combination, the H10, X12 and LCD-2F. I use the H10 + X12 with my LCD-X's, LCD-2F's and soon the HD800's :).

It's worth noting that, although the sound was good to my ears initially, it improved significantly with more use. It's also worth noting that the sound becomes more dynamic/effortless/opened after some time to warm up from a cold start (as strange as that sounds, other users echo my experience here).

Like most people who hear the Gustard products, at first there were some things that were "off" with the sound. Everything that was a little bit "off" disappeared with further use. Whether that's from the gear burning in or my brain getting used to it, I'm not sure, but things sound close to flawless to me now.

Good luck sorting out those issues with the loose screws!

Mar 11, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #868 of 5,553

Thanks for your help.  Allen wrench worked just fine.  For anyone who might need to open up their H10 a 3/32 works for the side screws and a 5/64 for the back.  The motherboard is held on by 7 screws.  Five had backed completely out and the other two were loose.  Probably should have used some Loctite but its not going anywhere.  Probably should have checked the X12 but it sounded tight, no rattles.  Everything hooked up, in working order and burn-in begun.  Will be around the forum hoping to learn more.  Thanks again for your help.

Mar 11, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #869 of 5,553

Thanks for the welcome.  Got everything back together and working on burn-in.  First impression is good but not magical.  Judging by previous posts it will get there.  From what I've been reading maybe I pulled the trigger to soon on the LCD-2F.  Maybe I should have waited a little longer and got the LCD-X.  You have both, please tell me why you keep both and what are your impressions of each with this amp/dac combo.

Mar 11, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #870 of 5,553
Thanks for the welcome.  Got everything back together and working on burn-in.  First impression is good but not magical.  Judging by previous posts it will get there.  From what I've been reading maybe I pulled the trigger to soon on the LCD-2F.  Maybe I should have waited a little longer and got the LCD-X.  You have both, please tell me why you keep both and what are your impressions of each with this amp/dac combo.

Since you took the feet screws off, you would have disconnected the ground wire that goes from the IEC socket to the base of the case. The foot screw there is the only one with a nut on inside that holds down the ground wire. Hopefully you saw this and reconnected it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back