GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone Amplifier
Oct 30, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #46 of 5,553
  Hmmm....

The Gustard only has single ended output, so I don't know whether there is technically any advantage from using the XLR inputs. 

It may be possible that the XLR inputs goes to a slightly different path in the amp and maybe both + and - signals are being used not just one on each side.  The circuit could be balanced inside but not at the output.

Oct 30, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #48 of 5,553

Thanks for your input Jeff. I'm most intrigued by your comments about running balanced from the Anedio. One of the things that sold me on the H10 was it's fully balanced inputs. I have noticed in the past with preamp and amps, that the balanced xlr connections seemed to lower the noise floor and slightly expand the soundstage. I'm hoping that this holds true with my balanced DAC feeding it. I have identical interconnects with rca's and xlr's, so I'll play with this when the H10 arrives.

Hmmm....

The Gustard only has single ended output, so I don't know whether there is technically any advantage from using the XLR inputs. 

With that said, I do notice that there is a slight improvement with clarity, and I do notice a slightly wider and deeper soundstage with my large orchestra tracks. I simply use the XLR inputs so that I can use my Anedio's RCA outputs to simultaenously power my Vali. With balanced outputs, I'm able to use the 0 dB pre-gain setting, and stay below 12. This is probably because of the increased output levels from the Anedio XLR outputs.

Even from the RCA inputs though, the Gustard never sounds boring, thin, or harsh. The amp is very dynamic, and lies slightly warmer side of perfectly neutral. If you've heard the Matrix M-stage, the Gustard servers as an improvement in every aspect. This statement also extends to the O2 as well. 

While the Gustard H10 is very similar to the Violectric amps, I'm afraid I can't comment much on that comparison since my experience with those amps is very very limited. 

Thank you very much. Your comments were helpful to me.

Oct 30, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #49 of 5,553
  It may be possible that the XLR inputs goes to a slightly different path in the amp and maybe both + and - signals are being used not just one on each side.  The circuit could be balanced inside but not at the output.

That is certainly very possible. I haven't actually opened up the amp to see what it's actually doing with each of the connections. 

If it is indeed a dual-mono balanced configuration though, I would have imagined that they would have had XLR outputs to imply balanced output...

Oct 30, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #50 of 5,553
  That is certainly very possible. I haven't actually opened up the amp to see what it's actually doing with each of the connections. 

If it is indeed a dual-mono balanced configuration though, I would have imagined that they would have had XLR outputs to imply balanced output...

The GUSTARD H10 uses a clam style case that I can see. the top two screws in the back and the front side screws and the top half may come off. I noticed that there is a op-amp near the XLR inputs. It is very possible that it is a differential op-amp that uses both + and - signals. The single ended input may just tied to just one leg of the op-amp would be my guess but I do not see it so far from the pictures. There are another pair of op-amps driving the output devices that I can see.

Oct 30, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #51 of 5,553
  The GUSTARD H10 uses a clam style case that I can see. the top two screws in the back and the front side screws and the top half may come off. I noticed that there is a op-amp near the XLR inputs. It is very possible that it is a differential op-amp that uses both + and - signals. The single ended input may just tied to just one leg of the op-amp would be my guess but I do not see it so far from the pictures. There are another pair of op-amps driving the output devices that I can see.

The design is essentially the same as the Violectric V200, so if we have some info about how the Lake People do it, we can reasonably conclude the same for the H10.  Indeed the V200 has balanced and single ended inputs just like the H10 and the V200 has single ended heaphone output (albeit two jacks for buddy listening) just like the H10.

Oct 30, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #52 of 5,553

Many amps have some variation of dual-mono, but only have single-ended outputs, so you still get some of the same benefit as having a start to finish balanced chain. I imagine that is pretty common because most headphones are not wired for balanced use, and also just because it allows manufacturers to keep down cost of parts and labor.

I caved in and ordered an H10, and received it today. I'm using my AK100 II as a source, and it drives my Audeze XCs very well with a lot of authority, and a deep soundstage. The presentation isn't perhaps as wide as I've experienced with other amps, but the H10 sounds outstanding so far.

Oct 30, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #53 of 5,553
  I don't think the two can even compare. The H10 is overall a better amplifier than the O2. 

I'll put it this way... I haven't listened to my O2 at all since I got the H10. It got relegated to my work desk.

Thanks. That's what I would have assumed, but that's good to hear 
biggrin.gif

Oct 30, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #54 of 5,553
Many amps have some variation of dual-mono, but only have single-ended outputs, so you still get some of the same benefit as having a start to finish balanced chain. I imagine that is pretty common because most headphones are not wired for balanced use, and also just because it allows manufacturers to keep down cost of parts and labor.

I caved in and ordered an H10, and received it today. I'm using my AK100 II as a source, and it drives my Audeze XCs very well with a lot of authority, and a deep soundstage. The presentation isn't perhaps as wide as I've experienced with other amps, but the H10 sounds outstanding so far.

I guess this thread got to you too. Give us your thoughts as it breaks in. I suspect the soundstage will open up after more burn in. Curious, who did you get your H10 from?

Oct 31, 2014 at 3:24 AM Post #58 of 5,553
Even from the RCA inputs though, the Gustard never sounds boring, thin, or harsh. The amp is very dynamic, and lies slightly warmer side of perfectly neutral.

Your comments sound like my perception of FlysSweep's taste in amps - which I long ago concluded were similar to mine. (Drawing me closer to placing an order.)

FlySweep is indeed a trustworthy reviewer, and if it helps at all, I can say that he has been a fan of the Bottlehead Crack and HD650, for example.  So to hear him recommending a solid state amp, suggests that it is warm and full bodied, with good dynamics and bass energy, not laid back or perfectly neutral, but I haven't written him about it yet.

Nov 4, 2014 at 2:08 AM Post #60 of 5,553
Election day and my H10 arrives tomorrow. I think this portends good things all around!

I don't think you'll be disappointed. It's great to see other people taking the leap of faith on the Gustard, especially since it's rather unknown and made in China. 

Everybody seems to have such a bad connotation of products made in China nowadays that I'm glad to see that there are products out there today to show that it simply isn't the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back