GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone Amplifier
Feb 3, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #5,236 of 5,552

I did see his post, though those are V4 and I have no idea how they differ with the V5 ^^!
Also, I see this:
https://www.bursonaudio.com/gustard-h10-v5-ss-opamp-mod/
(last pictures)
Does anyone have/use that heatsink enclosure linker?

In three of my amplifiers V4 to my ears are way better vs the V5, when it comes down to clean subbass reproduction. But the V5 has a permanent home in two preamps of mine.

I didn't experience any overheating issues with the stock heatsink with the H10.  It's the regulators that you have to worry about.

Feb 4, 2017 at 5:18 AM Post #5,237 of 5,552
  Got to messing around with the Gustard and found some crazy heat coming out of it.  Added pennies  and later changed to memory copper sinks.

First try with thermal 3M foam tape and pennies.  

Switch over to memory heat sinks on the board.

(...)

In three of my amplifiers V4 to my ears are way better vs the V5, when it comes down to clean subbass reproduction. But the V5 has a permanent home in two preamps of mine.

I didn't experience any overheating issues with the stock heatsink with the H10.  It's the regulators that you have to worry about.

I found second hand a H10 with the V5 and the tailored heat-sink - previous owner kept it opened when using it - so I don't know if I'll can enjoy the V4
tongue.gif

By "the regulators", you mean the two you first covered with pennies and then with memory heatsinks? I measured the V5-OPA-Ds at +40°C (+104°F) and those regulators get hotter: I removed my thermometer when it reached its 50°C limit (122°F, within 5min). Do they get much hotter? Is it close to the maximum temperature they can handle? Did you get good result with those small heatsinks? Can you keep your H10 closed?

biggrin.gif

ho and my H10 runs at 220V should it matter somehow!

Feb 4, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #5,239 of 5,552

I found second hand a H10 with the V5 and the tailored heat-sink - previous owner kept it opened when using it - so I don't know if I'll can enjoy the V4
tongue.gif

By "the regulators", you mean the two you first covered with pennies and then with memory heatsinks? I measured the V5-OPA-Ds at +40°C (+104°F) and those regulators get hotter: I removed my thermometer when it reached its 50°C limit (122°F, within 5min). Do they get much hotter? Is it close to the maximum temperature they can handle? Did you get good result with those small heatsinks? Can you keep your H10 closed?

biggrin.gif

ho and my H10 runs at 220V should it matter somehow!

You can keep the H10 closed with the heatsinks on the fets.

Great find on a unit with Burson's already installed.

Feb 6, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #5,241 of 5,552
Does anyone know if the overheating/failure issue with the Burson V5 is mostly due to the duals, or are the singles affected as well?

Feb 7, 2017 at 1:26 AM Post #5,242 of 5,552
SS V5 are supposed to get powered from a max. voltage of +/-15V, per datasheet. H10 has about +/-16V, if I remember correctly, so some SS V5 opamps may "tolerate" this higher voltage, but other may not. Most likely, singles will tolerate the higher voltage better than duals because of the better internal airflow (fewer parts, only one PCB instead of 2).

Feb 7, 2017 at 1:54 AM Post #5,244 of 5,552
Don't know if I remember correctly but with the voltage issue, didn't Burson make the V5's 17v now?

From what I recall, Burson was sorting out V5's that operate at +/-17V, not actual V5's designed to work at higher voltages. I believe you had to mention to them the application upon purchase to get the sorted variety.

Feb 7, 2017 at 3:37 AM Post #5,245 of 5,552
Where's the link to purchase +/-17V SS V5 opamps then?

AFAIK Burson did replaced "affected" V5 opamps with "special made" opamps created for H10 amplifier. Perhaps you could contact Burson repr. to provide you V5 opamps able to get installed in H10, but ordering directly from their website means getting +/-15V opamps.

Feb 7, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #5,247 of 5,552

That was what happened to me. I did not any problem with V5 singles, but the V5 doubles gave me troubles.

This is good to know. I was going to go full Sparko, but since the Sparkos singles aren't compatible with the H10, I'll use Bursons there instead. Hopefully they'll be ok.

Burson was kind enough to throw in their custom heatsink even though I'm not buying the whole package. Very kind of them!

Feb 7, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #5,248 of 5,552
Where's the link to purchase +/-17V SS V5 opamps then?

AFAIK Burson did replaced "affected" V5 opamps with "special made" opamps created for H10 amplifier. Perhaps you could contact Burson repr. to provide you V5 opamps able to get installed in H10, but ordering directly from their website means getting +/-15V opamps.

I was going to purchase an H10 with V5 full boat but was really concern about the V5's melting down. I contacted Burson and they would only warranty the V5 SS amps if bought from them even though the seller contacted them and they said they would honor the warranty upon sale. The "special made" V5's as I recall were voltage screened op amps that appeared to handle more power, 17V max. Essentially using manufacturing variation to pick up the good actors. The packaging on the V5's is more than likely what had doomed them. They get, melt the plastic encapsulated or turn it into a goo, this further reducing is thermal conductivity until you have an op amp wrapped with a thermal insulator. A bad design all around for running these near the voltage extents as the H10 does. Burson was offering a custom heat sink for the V5's used in an H10.

Some of these amps seem to last. Probably due to variation in both the H10 and V5's and I believe there was some correlation with melting op amps and running at gains other than +6 or +12. Those seemed to be the safe gains with V5 op amps.

We went round and round in a discussion to where I was championing Burson honoring their lifetime warranty for V5 op amps purchased in an H10, eventually they said, "Product improvement is an ongoing process for us and we can't detail our internal production process and what difference is between each batch. If you purchase the V5 from us, then we can guarantee that it will now work in higher temperatures and that they can work under the 16.5V operating environment of the H10. They will work in all gain settings in the H10 and we will honour is lifetime warranty in case it fails. However, we have clearly stated that some existing V5 opamps may not work beyond its stated 15V and may not work in low gain applications. Hence you are to purchase a used V5 opamps, we can't guarantee is success in H10 and we can't honour its life-time warranty if it does not work given we have publically declared that those V5 may not work in those higher, temperature yet lower gain settings."

In the end, $200+ for op amps that may or may not burn out, that had to be shipped to Australia for replacement and are not transferable warranty wise just seems too risky. I guess to me, if older op amps were susceptible (though the seller said his were the screened variety), what's the big deal with honoring the warranty and replacing them with the current flavor of what's good if they do burn out. Instead, now you have a non transferable V5 op amp for H10 usage unless they are tracking serial numbers (which they give insight they don't) or you get a certificate that sticks with the op amp and is transferable. The cost for the V5's seems like a high premium for something that had debatable compatibility and a debatable warranty for resale which is almost culture it seems on head fi.

But I hear they sound great! Haha!

Feb 7, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #5,249 of 5,552
Oh, I think someone asked for a link.

https://bursonaudio.com/gustard-h10-v5-ss-opamp-mod/

This was sent to me by Burson's customer service.

Feb 7, 2017 at 7:59 PM Post #5,250 of 5,552
Confirmed with Burson that all new production V5s have slightly higher voltage tolerances and are compatible with the H10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back