GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone Amplifier
Mar 1, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #5,266 of 5,552
   As mandrake said the H10 is a warmer sounding amp, works great with planar headphones of all types.
For on a budget op-amps take a look at 797bz/an for singles and the 823 or LT1364CN8 for dual.

Good luck

Mar 6, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #5,269 of 5,552

I tried search and this is the best I could find. Is it confirmed that it doesn't operate as a balanced amp? It looks like it has double of everything. I was thinking maybe the grounds are just joined at the single-ended output and the amp can be modded with a balanced output.

The H10 is a dual mono amplifier.  It has two mono amplifiers in chassis.  It can accept balanced line inputs but must be converted into SE, that is what the opamps in the back is for.  A full balance amplifier would have the equivalent of two stereo or four mono amplifiers in one chassis.

Mar 6, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #5,270 of 5,552
  The H10 is a dual mono amplifier.  It has two mono amplifiers in chassis.  It can accept balanced line inputs but must be converted into SE, that is what the opamps in the back is for.  A full balance amplifier would have the equivalent of two stereo or four mono amplifiers in one chassis.

It does have two dual OpAmps, too. Do you know why? With this logic another couple of single OpAmps should have been enough. Is it possible that the two single OpAmps you described are used only for summing the balanced input and they are not used for SE input?

Mar 6, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #5,271 of 5,552

It does have two dual OpAmps, too. Do you know why? With this logic another couple of single OpAmps should have been enough. Is it possible that the two single OpAmps you described are used only for summing the balanced input and they are not used for SE input?

The two singles on the side of the amp works in the gain stage of the amplifier, it affects the sound the most.  The two dual in the back works as a balance to SE input converter module.  It takes a balanced line in signal and converts it to SE for the amplifier to use.  It has to be a dual opamp per channel because of the balanced signal (XLR).

Mar 6, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #5,272 of 5,552
The two singles on the side of the amp works in the gain stage of the amplifier, it affects the sound the most.  The two dual in the back works as a balance to SE input converter module.  It takes a balanced line in signal and converts it to SE for the amplifier to use.  It has to be a dual opamp per channel because of the balanced signal (XLR).

Hmm, I believe almost nobody feeds a balanced DAC to H10, then there is no reason to mod the two more expensive OpAmps. Right? Have you seen a schematic of this amp? I read it's nowhere to be found.

Mar 6, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #5,273 of 5,552
If you are going to run the Amp in a low gain mode is there any reason that you'd want to upgrade the Opamps ?

Am I mistaken in thinking that there was a comment about the Burson Opamps being problematic if the H10 if the Amp was going to be used in the low gain mode ?

Mar 6, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #5,274 of 5,552
Hmm, I believe almost nobody feeds a balanced DAC to H10, then there is no reason to mod the two more expensive OpAmps. Right? Have you seen a schematic of this amp? I read it's nowhere to be found.

There are many people who have DACs with balanced line out so it would be logical to use the cleaner of the two signals.  The dual opamps do not affect the sound as much as the singles but it still does.  Most opamps are pretty cheap so why not.  You don't have to buy a Burson or other discrete opamps.  I have not seen a schematic but I have never needed to search for one.

If you are going to run the Amp in a low gain mode is there any reason that you'd want to upgrade the Opamps ?

Am I mistaken in thinking that there was a comment about the Burson Opamps being problematic if the H10 if the Amp was going to be used in the low gain mode ?

I only know of heat and voltage issues with the Burson V5s with this amp.  Gain issues I think where with another amp.

Mar 6, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #5,276 of 5,552

There are many people who have DACs with balanced line out so it would be logical to use the cleaner of the two signals.  The dual opamps do not affect the sound as much as the singles but it still does.  Most opamps are pretty cheap so why not.  You don't have to buy a Burson or other discrete opamps.  I have not seen a schematic but I have never needed to search for one.

I only know of heat and voltage issues with the Burson V5s with this amp.  Gain issues I think where with another amp.

Burson did mention that some gain settings were more likely to produce problems with the V5s.   Post 4864:

"During our test we found that with +6 and +12 setting the dual opamp on the back work most stable. With all other setting seems to cause the dual V5 to overheat. We are not sure the cause since we do not know how H-10 circuit configured. "

Mar 10, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #5,278 of 5,552

I am curious why you didn't choose a balanced amp instead of the H10.

The H10 was used to see how it behaved with my equipment and I liked it a lot with the Burson V4's in there.  

Balanced amp; what does it really mean to you?  Does it mean balanced input in the form of XLR for example or 4 conductor headphone out.  Balanced on this forum has two meanings.  I have amps that are built like the H10, which is XLR in and standard headphone out.  I also have amp that shares no common ground in the signal path, and that is has to use a 4 wire setup for headphone use.  

This balance thing with headphones is just a different implementation of getting to the same result.  

Mar 13, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #5,280 of 5,552
i read the last posts but i don´t understand one thing:
the h10 has two dual op-amp, that convert the balanced input to single-ended input, and two single op-amp in the gain stage of the amplifier.
the most important is the single op-amp in the signal path.
if i use a single-ended source, it´s completely useless to change the dual op-amps. i´m right?
thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back