GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone Amplifier
Mar 24, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #4,711 of 5,552
I believe your "old" V5 is designed for +/-15V, so why are you still using it in H10? AFAIK H10 has +/-16.5V on it's rails, so I strongly recommend you to take out the "old" op-amp.
In case I didn't understand your setup, then sorry, but if you're using +/-15V op-amp in a +/-16.5V amplifier then...no other comments.

Is there a specific burson v5 need for the h10?

Mar 24, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #4,712 of 5,552
Is there a specific burson v5 need for the h10? 

Not sure if some V5 are specific to H10, but what i know is that only the one supporting 17V can fit in H10.
I ordered a pair directly on website and asked after about H10 compatibility. Customer services asked me to return the one i received in order to get the newest ones rated at 17V. If they have still some 15V, I'm pretty sure that if you do not specify that it is for H10 or that it must support 17V you get what is on stock !

Mar 24, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #4,713 of 5,552
Hi, I am in the market for a desktop headphone amp and both the H10 and Soloist were contenders, but I can not actually sit down and listen to either, so, trying to decide based on feedback from people that have heard both.

I have a quick questions that I would appreciate your thoughts on.  Massdrop has the H10 available now for $289 once unlocked and that seems like a really good price, so, was ready to pull the trigger.    But over the last couple of days, I have seen threads on here about people changing the OpAmp to a Burson V5 OpsAmp.   One guys said his $300 amp is now a $450 amp, but he was much happier with the sound of the H10 after the upgrade.    

So, here are my choices,  I can purchase the Burson Soloist on Amazon for $399 or the H10 for $289 and spend $150 to upgrade it.  So, here are my questions, 
-  Does this upgrade make the H10 sound like the Soloist?
-  If so, is the Burson Soloist that much of a better amp?  

Doesn't make sense to pay almost $300 for the H10 and then to dump another $150 in it to get it to sound more like a Burson versus just getting the Burson.  

Mar 24, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #4,714 of 5,552
BTW,  I have not heard either amp first hand, and unfortunately have no place to go to hear either.  I am going on the recommendations of people here and on other sites as my only real input to making the decision.  I would love to hear the thoughts of anyone that has heard both amps in person or can give me a better view of either amp alone.  

Mar 24, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #4,715 of 5,552
Oh for reference sake, the rest of my systems consist of a
Source: 2015 iMac
DAC:    DACPort Slim (for now may upgrade to the X12/U12, a Wyrd/Bifrost Uber or another desktop DAC and use the Slim with my laptop),
Wire:    Blue Jeans LC1 interconnects
Amp:    hopefully soon an H10 or Soloist
Cans:    HE 400i

Mar 24, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #4,716 of 5,552
BTW,  I have not heard either amp first hand, and unfortunately have no place to go to hear either.  I am going on the recommendations of people here and on other sites as my only real input to making the decision.  I would love to hear the thoughts of anyone that has heard both amps in person or can give me a better view of either amp alone.  

Well, the single channel V5's are $90 shipped. They are really the only ones needed. The stock duals are just fine.

Mar 24, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #4,717 of 5,552
I believe your "old" V5 is designed for +/-15V, so why are you still using it in H10? AFAIK H10 has +/-16.5V on it's rails, so I strongly recommend you to take out the "old" op-amp.
In case I didn't understand your setup, then sorry, but if you're using +/-15V op-amp in a +/-16.5V amplifier then...no other comments.

Read the whole thread please...they sent him just one dual replacement.

Mar 24, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #4,718 of 5,552
Not sure if some V5 are specific to H10, but what i know is that only the one supporting 17V can fit in H10.

I ordered a pair directly on website and asked after about H10 compatibility. Customer services asked me to return the one i received in order to get the newest ones rated at 17V. If they have still some 15V, I'm pretty sure that if you do not specify that it is for H10 or that it must support 17V you get what is on stock !

Burson has recently implemented the new QC process for V5s and even before, they used to fit. It's just that a lot of them have given out after some use, hence the investigation by Burson. I believe some are still rocking the old ones and there was a discussion about the DAC voltage output could affect the life of the V5s.

Mar 24, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #4,719 of 5,552

Don't really need to swap op amps unless you feel the need to. It should be dependent on what cans you plug in. I just cannot handle the sibilance/brightness of the HE-560 without the singles, so V5 singles tamed that for me. Of course there were improvements all around, but not so much like upgrading headphones. With that said, H10 could be tuned by swapping op amps, soloist not so much. If you are not sure the soloist is a good match for 400i, H10 would be a safe bet. Spending under $100 for op amp rolling whether it be bursons or not wouldn't hurt because the solist is 399 anyway.

A lot of good op amps beside V5s from what I've read.

Mar 25, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #4,720 of 5,552
  Hi, I am in the market for a desktop headphone amp and both the H10 and Soloist were contenders, but I can not actually sit down and listen to either, so, trying to decide based on feedback from people that have heard both.

I have a quick questions that I would appreciate your thoughts on.  Massdrop has the H10 available now for $289 once unlocked and that seems like a really good price, so, was ready to pull the trigger.    But over the last couple of days, I have seen threads on here about people changing the OpAmp to a Burson V5 OpsAmp.   One guys said his $300 amp is now a $450 amp, but he was much happier with the sound of the H10 after the upgrade.    

So, here are my choices,  I can purchase the  Burson Soloist  Burson Soloist SL  on Amazon for $399 or the H10 for $289 and spend $150 to upgrade it.  So, here are my questions, 

Doesn't make sense to pay almost $300 for the H10 and then to dump another $150 in it to get it to sound more like a Burson versus just getting the Burson.  

It's unlikely that you'll be able to gather a consensus of opinion among people who have heard both of these amps and I've not heard either of them, but I can tell you that using the Burson V5 Duals in my iBasso PB2 portable amp is far more impressive than was my $999 Burson Soloist (which was soft in the treble, lacking in dynamics, and very laid back - as if I was seated a long way from the stage). The Burson Soloist is touted as having an "analog" sound, but I didn't find it to be organic or natural in the least.  It was just a low-resolving solid state amp.  If the $399 Soloist SL is in anyway worse than the Soloist, my guess is that you'd be happier with a full boat H10 (assuming you prefer lots of detail, transparency, soundstage, imaging, and a natural-sounding timbre, with no harshness or fatiguing treble.)  

Again, I'm just guessing about a full boat H10 vs. a Soloist SL, but one company produced two products with which I have a lot of experience:  a $999 Soloist in which I was disappointed (for my tastes) and the Burson V5 op-amp, which continues to astonish me.  

Mike

Mar 25, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #4,721 of 5,552

So, here are my choices,  I can purchase the Burson Soloist on Amazon for $399 or the H10 for $289 and spend $150 to upgrade it.  So, here are my questions, 

I have both the H10 and Soloist SL. If Planar are the headphone you use most I would go with the H10 just plan better with them.

Mar 25, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #4,722 of 5,552
Does anyone have any experience with the Foxtex TH-X00 headphone and the Gustard H10?  I did a search but didn't find much.  I have been researching the HE-560 after hearing all of the impressions in this thread but the TH-X00 just dropped again and I am tempted.  I know they are different closed vs open but they are both planars so the Fostex may also be a good match but I would like to hear from someone that has actually heard it on the H10 before I choose. 

Mar 25, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #4,723 of 5,552
  Does anyone have any experience with the Foxtex TH-X00 headphone and the Gustard H10?  I did a search but didn't find much.  I have been researching the HE-560 after hearing all of the impressions in this thread but the TH-X00 just dropped again and I am tempted.  I know they are different closed vs open but they are both planars so the Fostex may also be a good match but I would like to hear from someone that has actually heard it on the H10 before I choose. 

The TH X00 Sound great with the H10 but they sound great with just about anything I have tried them with...H10,Asgard 2,Soloist SL,Aune T1,Fiio X3 Ext ext. The TH X00 are a fun bass haevy laid back sound the HE 560 would be more balanced airy sound that needs a good amp (like the H10) to sound their best, so it is all up to what you are looking for.

Mar 25, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #4,724 of 5,552
>  The TH X00 are a fun bass haevy laid back sound ... so it is all up to what you are looking for

I don't think bass heavy and laid back is what I am looking for.  I like deep well defined bass (quality over quantity) and slightly forward vocals.  A downside of joining the TH-X00 drop is that I would not likely see them for several months.  The HE-560's are readily available now.  Choices.. Choices...

Mar 25, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #4,725 of 5,552
  >  The TH X00 are a fun bass haevy laid back sound ... so it is all up to what you are looking for

I don't think bass heavy and laid back is what I am looking for.  I like deep well defined bass (quality over quantity) and slightly forward vocals.  A downside of joining the TH-X00 drop is that I would not likely see them for several months.  The HE-560's are readily available now.  Choices.. Choices...

Well I hate to give you more choices but the ZMF Blackwoods maybe just what you are looking for I picked up a pair over Xmass and they pair fantastically with the H10....Just saying if I had the choice between the two the ZMF would win over the TH X00 
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back