GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone Amplifier
Jan 13, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #4,126 of 5,552
Not balanced. I just stuck a XLR4 jack on so I can use different cables.

Thanks for the impressions. How did you stick an XLR jack? I thought SE to XLR jacks weren't possible.

Jan 13, 2016 at 3:08 AM Post #4,127 of 5,552

Thanks for the impressions. How did you stick an XLR jack? I thought SE to XLR jacks weren't possible.

Of course, you just connect both grounds of the XLR to one from the SE. It just doesn't make it balanced. it's the same as using this:

Balanced headphone to single ended amp is no problem. And vice versa. The other way around can shorten and break the amp. Never use a single ended headphone with a balanced output, as you then shorten/cross the grounds.

Cheers!

Jan 13, 2016 at 6:24 AM Post #4,128 of 5,552

Of course, you just connect both grounds of the XLR to one from the SE. It just doesn't make it balanced. it's the same as using this:

Balanced headphone to single ended amp is no problem. And vice versa. The other way around can shorten and break the amp. Never use a single ended headphone with a balanced output, as you then shorten/cross the grounds.

Cheers!

Aah makes sense. Not sure what I was thinking. Thanks!

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #4,129 of 5,552
Just got my CAVALLI LC and did a brief comparison with H10 (burson V5 embedded).
my source is Calyx 192 DAC, balanced signals to LC unbalanced to H10, using ETHER as primary headphone.
and here’s the initial impression: H10 has better extension on both ends, bigger sound stage, more air, tighter bass, LC is smoother, now I understand why they are named Liquid.
if you want to relax and enjoy the music for long period, LC is the way to go, but if you really want to push the Ortho cans to their limits, H10 maybe the better choice IMHO.

I've read here that soundstage improves a lot when you go balanced all the way with the Cavalli. Did you try that?

My H10 went gold last night on massdrop so reading these comparisons makes me very happy!

And it seems that the Burson upgrade is a must to unleash this beast's potential!

Jan 13, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #4,130 of 5,552
I've read here that soundstage improves a lot when you go balanced all the way with the Cavalli. Did you try that?

My H10 went gold last night on massdrop so reading these comparisons makes me very happy!

And it seems that the Burson upgrade is a must to unleash this beast's potential!

I have a Liquid Carbon that I use balanced, and a half boat Burson H10. I agree that the LC is the brighter of the two (though not overly bright like Schiit at all), and find them comparable on soundstage. Different style amps, but both are excellent. Both sound great with planars and the HD650.

Jan 13, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #4,131 of 5,552
I have a Liquid Carbon that I use balanced, and a half boat Burson H10. I agree that the LC is the brighter of the two (though not overly bright like Schiit at all), and find them comparable on soundstage. Different style amps, but both are excellent. Both sound great with planars and the HD650.

Thanks for sharing your experience with these two amps.  

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #4,133 of 5,552
  I just received my full boat opamp package that I ordered on the 23rd of decemeber and... I received two sets of singles. Dang! Time to bring up their support.

rolleyes.gif
 Errr....I think that someone, around here, may have your duals!

It's probably best to let Burson sort it out.

It seems that maybe the V5's sudden popularity, has given Burson a busy holiday period!

------

P.S. I'm planning to 'fire up' my H10, complete with its 20-ish hour old V5S's (half-boat), later. It's been a while since I've had a listen. Some initial impressions, and pics, will be forthcoming.

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #4,134 of 5,552
I just received my full boat opamp package that I ordered on the 23rd of decemeber and... I received two sets of singles. Dang! Time to bring up their support.

:rolleyes:  Errr....I think that someone, around here, may have your duals!

It's probably best to let Burson sort it out.

It seems that maybe the V5's sudden popularity, has given Burson a busy holiday period!

------

P.S. I'm planning to 'fire up' my H10, complete with its 20-ish hour old V5S's (half-boat), later. It's been a while since I've had a listen. Some initial impressions, and pics, will be forthcoming.

Still waiting on my duals. If they are not here tomorrow I might get a refund through PayPal. Or maybe try to contact Burson and ask them what's up. Maybe they can EMS me a new pair.

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #4,135 of 5,552
Popped in the singles and so far, everything sounds more "musical" and "alive" with my modded hd650's. Really digging it so far. Now I'm really wondering how the added duals will improve the sound signature.

EDIT: Now I really want my ZMF omni's to come in!

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #4,136 of 5,552
  Popped in the singles and so far, everything sounds more "musical" and "alive" with my modded hd650's. Really digging it so far. Now I'm really wondering how the added duals will improve the sound signature.

EDIT: Now I really want my ZMF omni's to come in!

It looks like you may be heading yourself towards the conundrum of multiple and simultaneous upgrades; once you have all your singles, duals and omni's in place, and you're loving (or loathing) the changes in sq, to which component are you going to attribute which change?
But what a problem to have! 
wink.gif

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:52 PM Post #4,137 of 5,552

I saw that coming when the other guy got dual's instead of singles, look like you and the other person might have to ship each other the orders. The guy filling out the address must been very tired.

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #4,138 of 5,552
In case there's any issues with the extra pair of singles I have now, I don't mind sending them back to burson and waiting for them to send me a pair of duals back. It'll make sorting this out a lot easier in the long run imo.

Jan 13, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #4,139 of 5,552

Hi Guys,

Recently we have received a few warranty claims from customers using the V5 in their Gustard H10. Since the V5 had a very solid quality track record up until these incidents, we were very concerned by them. Therefore, we have obtained a H10 to investigate. 

Our findings: 

The H10 is powering the original opamps at +/-16 Volt to 16.5Volt (varying due to different main voltage settings). That is above our stated maximum working voltage of +/-15 volts. 

In our existing QC process, we only retain V5 opamps meeting our stated working range plus a 5% buffer zone.  ie.  Opamps that can do better than +/-16 volt stays and any that tolerates less are scrapped.

Our solution: 

Due to the overwhelming supports from H10 users, we have decided to implement a stricter QC process and only retain V5 which can tolerate +/-17V.  ie 15% above its stated maximum. The new batch of V5 based on this new QC process will be ready in 3 weeks (10th Feb 2015)

Same V5, higher in quality:

Please understand that the circuitry design of the V5 which you love will remain unchanged.  The tougher QC process will ensure that you will receive even higher quality V5s.  

Life-time warranty in action: 

For existing V5+H10 customers, please be assured that each and every Burson opamp is covered by a life-time warranty.  If your opamp fails anytime in the future, then we'll replace it with brand new ones. : ) 

For those customers with failed V5s, please email us direct on info@bursonaudio.com. Please allow us 3 to 4 weeks to prepare your replacement.  

We are as passionate about DIY audio as you are and with your ongoing support and suggestions, we’ll continue to push the technological boundaries of the Burson audio opamps for you. : )  

Thank you again for your support

Burson Audio

Burson Audio Stay updated on Burson Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/BursonAudio https://twitter.com/bursonaudio http://www.bursonaudio.com/products/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back