GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Jan 17, 2024 at 7:09 AM Post #8,266 of 8,863
It does not. With the Gustard your best bet would be to use some software DSP, HQPlayer, or something to adjust the levels before the signal reaches the DAC.
some software DSP?? Do you have and example? I am using a Gustard Audalytics, with similar issues. I just turn my head toward the speakers to compensate for it.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2024 at 12:56 PM Post #8,268 of 8,863
some software DSP?? Do you have and example? I am using a Gustard Audalytics, with similar issues. I just turn my head toward the speakers to compensate for it.

HQPlayer and JRiver Media Center will do this, and Roon as mentioned by camrector. I think there's also a high quality parametric EQ program for Windows that would do this as well but I can't recall the name. That's not a definitive list, surely there are others that I'm not aware of.

Thanks. I use a streamer (NODE) without any dsp or eq....
It seems I won't have an R26 :frowning2:
Well many streamers don't have EQ built in, they just stream the music as they receive it. But how do you send music to the streamer? If it's through a PC or Roon then you could do the level processing on the PC/Roon core and stream the reprocessed music to the Node.

Jan 17, 2024 at 2:33 PM Post #8,269 of 8,863
For those having DSD hiss. Tried doing the DAC's DSD Direct:ON feature if it solves the problem? Just an idea. .

Jan 17, 2024 at 2:42 PM Post #8,270 of 8,863
For those having DSD hiss. Tried doing the DAC's DSD Direct:ON feature if it solves the problem? Just an idea. .
Yes, DSD Direct is Enabled and I still get the hiss. Haven't tried DSD with Direct DSD disabled because based on my understanding, it just goes to the PCM ladder, and in that case I'd rather just use PCM directly.

Jan 17, 2024 at 2:47 PM Post #8,271 of 8,863
HQPlayer and JRiver Media Center will do this, and Roon as mentioned by camrector. I think there's also a high quality parametric EQ program for Windows that would do this as well but I can't recall the name. That's not a definitive list, surely there are others that I'm not aware of.

Well many streamers don't have EQ built in, they just stream the music as they receive it. But how do you send music to the streamer? If it's through a PC or Roon then you could do the level processing on the PC/Roon core and stream the reprocessed music to the Node.
"But how do you send music to the streamer?"

There's no need for that. Just plug the LAN cable, and the streamer streams the music :)

I don't really plan to use any dsp or eq, because (to my ears) they ALL kill music. Maybe except some very expensive hardware units.

Jan 17, 2024 at 2:57 PM Post #8,272 of 8,863
"But how do you send music to the streamer?"

There's no need for that. Just plug the LAN cable, and the streamer streams the music :)

I don't really plan to use any dsp or eq, because (to my ears) they ALL kill music. Maybe except some very expensive hardware units.

Well, there is SOME need for sending music to the streamer somehow... unless it reads your mind and immediately plays whatever you are thinking of... in which case, hook me up with whatever you're using. The selection of what music to stream to the Node has to come from somewhere, and if there's a PC involved, you can probably figure out a way to DSP the channel balance in there somewhere.

I agree that I avoid DSP and EQ because they do degrade the sound to different degrees, but for some people it's critical.

Jan 17, 2024 at 3:49 PM Post #8,274 of 8,863
I agree that I avoid DSP and EQ because they do degrade the sound to different degrees, but for some people it's critical.
I use convolution for filters for Room Correction. These are SOTA and correct in the frequency and time domain.
There is simply no going back to listening to a system “raw” once these are in place.
I use a program called focus fidelity to design the filters.
Send me some measurements and I’ll make one for you.
Then load it in Roon or HQplayer is even better.

Jan 17, 2024 at 4:39 PM Post #8,275 of 8,863
@camrector Thanks for the rec about Focus Fidelity, can you describe how the convolution filter creation process differs with it vs REW? I use REW and LOVE what it's done on the bottom and top end for evening out bass nulls in my room, and for making the highs clear and smooth, it's just I feel it takes some meat off the bone of the midrange. Vocals, especially male, guitars, cellos, etc, just don't have as much presence and everything feels a little flat and sterile. I'm still working on it.

For the moment I've settled on a correction that features a heavy treatment below 200Hz and above 8000Hz, but with a light treatment in between. It's great but sometimes I miss the sound I have without it.

Jan 17, 2024 at 4:46 PM Post #8,276 of 8,863
@camrector Thanks for the rec about Focus Fidelity, can you describe how the convolution filter creation process differs with it vs REW? I use REW and LOVE what it's done on the bottom and top end for evening out bass nulls in my room, and for making the highs clear and smooth, it's just I feel it takes some meat off the bone of the midrange. Vocals, especially male, guitars, cellos, etc, just don't have as much presence and everything feels a little flat and sterile. I'm still working on it.

For the moment I've settled on a correction that features a heavy treatment below 200Hz and above 8000Hz, but with a light treatment in between. It's great but sometimes I miss the sound I have without it.
Phase alignment and time domain alignment would be the biggest differences. Drivers will hit and sound will reach the listening position at the precise same time.

These filters mainly affect 400hz and below where the room is mainly in control of your sound. Mids and highs are mainly untouched from a frequency standpoint.
Also unlike PEQ which boosts and attenuates the convolution filter applies the inverse for correction.
Send me measurements. I’ll make you one!

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2024 at 4:57 PM Post #8,277 of 8,863
Decided to upgrade R26 renderer firmware from version v1.4 to v1.42, but things got very weird….:rolling_eyes:

My system is based on a Raspberry Pi 4 with a HiFi Berry Digi+ Pro board (https://www.hifiberry.com/blog/hifiberry-digi-pro-our-most-advanced-digital-audio-interface/), running Volumio OS (https://volumio.com/en/) for music playing from a Synology NAS.

For the optical connection I’ve DSD over PCM (DoP), because of the limitations of HiFiBerry card.

I also use Audirvana Studio app (https://audirvana.com/) on Windows do play directly to the R26 renderer using the network (LAN).

With renderer firmware version 1.4 everything worked fine. Had only some clicks/lags when changing music.

Using the optical and coaxial connection (SPIDF) I was able to reproduce:
  • PCM files limited to 192 KHz;
  • DAC played DSD files (DSD64-2,8MHz) with DoP, via optical/coax interface with no problems;
  • The DAC display the correct protocol (DSD, PCM and sample rates).
  • The DAC did not recognize MQA files and played them as PCM files.
Using the USB interface, I was able to reproduce:
  • DSD files (DSD64, DS128 and DSD256) with no problem;
  • All PCM bit rates
  • MQA 352,8kHz encoded files.
  • The DAC display the correct protocol and sample rates (PCM, DSD and MQA).
Using the renderer via network (LAN), I was able to reproduce:
  • DSD files (DSD64, DS128 and DSD256)
  • All PCM bit rates
  • MQA 352,8kHz encoded files.
  • The DAC displayed the correct protocol and sample rates (PCM, DSD and MQA).
Tried the latest official version of the renderer firmware v1.42 and using PCM, DSD and MQA, confirmed that DSD is not recognized using LAN via Audirvana Studio. Also notice that:

1 - Using optical with DSD64 files I get a huge noise on speakers and the display repeatedly changes from PCM to DSD!
2 - Using USB interface with DSD and MQA encoded files, the following happens:
DSD64-2.82Mhz shown as PCM 352,8k​
DSD128-5.64Mhz shown as PCM 384k​
DSD256-11.28Mhz shown as PCM 384k​
MQA 352.8kHz shown as PCM 44.1k​

Did a downgrade to version 1.4 and DSD files are now playing via LAN and display show the correct format (PCM, DSD, MQA). But using the optical interface the noise did not disappear (for DSD files) and the display is changing from PCM do DSD, like previously stated. Again, using USB with DSD and MQA encoded files, the following happens:
DSD64-2.82Mhz shown as PCM 352,8k​
DSD128-5.64Mhz shown as PCM 384k​
DSD256-11.28Mhz shown as PCM 384k​
MQA 352.8kHz shown as PCM 44.1k​

Furthermore, using the LAN, instead having a MQA in display I’ve now OFS 352.8k (Please see picture Display_Playing_MQA_file_using_Streamer.jpg).

Any clues how to solve this? (I would like to be able again to reproduce both DSD and MQA files from USB and DSD files using the optical interface as with version 1.4).

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2024 at 5:16 PM Post #8,278 of 8,863
Phase alignment and time domain alignment would be the biggest differences. Drivers will hit and sound will reach the listening position at the precise same time.

These filters mainly affect 400hz and below where the room is mainly in control of your sound. Mids and highs are mainly untouched from a frequency standpoint.
Also unlike PEQ which boosts and attenuates the convolution filter applies the inverse for correction.
Send me measurements. I’ll make you one!
Thanks for the offer! Just to be clear this sounds like how one does it in REW as well using the somewhat new inversion feature: you take your measurements, create an RMS average between the two, then create an inversion against a target curve, custom or Harman. These are exported as .wav impulse response files to import into Roon and you don't even really touch the EQ filters.

Jan 17, 2024 at 5:27 PM Post #8,279 of 8,863
Thanks for the offer! Just to be clear this sounds like how one does it in REW as well using the somewhat new inversion feature: you take your measurements, create an RMS average between the two, then create an inversion against a target curve, custom or Harman. These are exported as .wav impulse response files to import into Roon and you don't even really touch the EQ filters.
Correct they are similar but the REW inversions are just in the frequency domain.
They do not contain any phase or time corrections. Thats where the magic is

Jan 17, 2024 at 5:29 PM Post #8,280 of 8,863

Mitch here explains it better than me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back