GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Jan 5, 2024 at 6:49 AM Post #8,161 of 8,869
Some say all DACs sound the same. It can true on low resolving systems. MAC is a source of harmful energy. The over engineered USB, combination of noise from superspeed wires, internal Thunderbolt and high voltage power delivery circuits over USB take a hit. And (unless I am wrong) Gustard do not have a common in this price range galvanic isolation on the USB port, so take care of ground loops.

First remove radiation from superspeed wires by inserting USB 2.0 hub between MAC and a DAC. Get a hub with external power supply, so it will redirect MAC ground loops to its own power supply. Cable between MAC and a hub should be very short, not an audiophile grade, but using thick wires. It must not have moulded ferrite beads. A cable to a DAC should have ferrite beads.

Instead of 2.0 hub you can use Ifi Defender or other audiphile grade USB cleaners. Not all them are transparrent to the complicated USB protocol, so start with iDefender.

Next step would be using converters like Douk Audio U2 /Pro. It won't invalidate your existing investment, it should just add value, low-jitter clocks (if you chose such option) and another ground loops redirector stage (after adding power supply).
I can definitely confirm that DACs DO NOT all sound the same. Apart from the USB connection, I should have a pretty resolving system (R26, V550, LCD-5). I can clearly notice a difference between the R26 and a Topping D90 DAC. Both connected via USB.

But I can't notice any tonal difference between different settings of the R26. Therefore I was wondering if my R26 might be malfunctioning (got it used). Or whether these settings do only apply to other input types.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 6:51 AM Post #8,162 of 8,869
Currawong might be onto something with this Dac or it’s just a great setup in general. Pretty sure he said optical was best input on this dac per his YouTube video.
Currawong has ground loops in his system. He wrote exactly the same about Audio GD R2R-11 and I know after experimenting that USB in my DAC sounds the best.

Apart from the USB connection, I should have a pretty resolving system
Currawong thinks the same. Result? Wrong (repeating) assessments on two different DACs.

Jan 5, 2024 at 7:05 AM Post #8,163 of 8,869
Currawong has ground loops in his system. He wrote exactly the same about Audio GD R2R-11 and I know after experimenting that USB in my DAC sounds the best.
Interesting, so if I follow your steps to improve the USB connection, the SQ should improve dramatically, and then I should notice a difference between NOS on/off? That said, I don't have any audible hiss or hum in my system.

Btw. how is the music transferred to the DAC via USB? Just use the DAC as audio output device? What about sample rate then? Should it always be set to the sample rate of the song that I stream from Apple music? Otherwise the macOS system up-(or down-)samples it already, right?

Or are there other ways for transferring music from a computer to a DAC via USB?

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 7:30 AM Post #8,164 of 8,869
Interesting, so if I follow your steps to improve the USB connection, the SQ should improve dramatically, and then I should notice a difference between NOS on/off? I'll give it a try.
Now we talk. :)
Btw. how is the music transferred to the DAC via USB? Just use the DAC as audio output device? Or are there other ways?
In modern receivers (over last ten years) USB is transfered asynchronously. It means that transfer is controlled by the internal clock in a DAC. So answer is, yes. Just connect a DAC.

Theoretically jitter free as opposed to the typical synchronous connections in audio world and previously used transfer modes over USB. There were different protocols in the past, but asynchronus transfer is a game changer. In a typical scenario there is no transmission errors (it may never happen during your life on the 1.5m cable). So, if it is error-free and jitter-free, how it happens that it sounds poor?

That is a question, refer to my first reply. :)

Jan 5, 2024 at 7:45 AM Post #8,165 of 8,869
So, if it is error-free and jitter-free, how it happens that it sounds poor?
It actually sounds good, but I can't hear differences between the different settings. Another reason for that could be just me or a malfunctioning unit 🤷🏼‍♂️
Would be nice to hear someone reporting on how strong the differences should sound. If it is very very small, it could be me. If it is clearly audible, it could be the unit.

Jan 5, 2024 at 8:09 AM Post #8,166 of 8,869
It actually sounds good, but I can't hear differences between the different settings. Another reason for that could be just me or a malfunctioning unit 🤷🏼‍♂️
Would be nice to hear someone reporting on how strong the differences should sound. If it is very very small, it could be me. If it is clearly audible, it could be the unit.
You will do yourself many favors taking what Sajunky says with a grain of salt.
There is maybe 20% truth in his posts and the rest is conjecture, guesswork, and downright fantasy.

Your filter settings will be very mild in general. You’ll notice it more in the LAN input. Mid seems to be the preferred setting.

Or are there other ways for transferring music from a computer to a DAC via USB?
The best input is the LAN input via Ethernet cable. No need for noisy USB with this dac.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 8:29 AM Post #8,168 of 8,869
The best input is the LAN input via Ethernet cable. No need for noisy USB with this dac.
Trying this is already on my TODO list. Maybe it's a bit off topic, but could you please give me a brief hint on how to transfer the music (ideally a stream from Apple music) to the DAC then? I know there is roon, but is there also freeware?

Jan 5, 2024 at 8:36 AM Post #8,170 of 8,869
Your filter settings will be very mild in general. You’ll notice it more in the LAN input. Mid seems to be the preferred setting.
Then sajunky is 100% right. :ksc75smile:

Jan 5, 2024 at 9:30 AM Post #8,173 of 8,869
Trying this is already on my TODO list. Maybe it's a bit off topic, but could you please give me a brief hint on how to transfer the music (ideally a stream from Apple music) to the DAC then? I know there is roon, but is there also freeware?
+1 to JPlay. It’s not very expensive, and probably the next best thing to full Qobuz/Tidal+Roon. Then a relatively cheap fiber setup and you’re good.

Another option used by some here is to get a wifi repeater plugged in close to the R26 and run a short LAN cable between the two.

Jan 5, 2024 at 6:30 PM Post #8,175 of 8,869
This is a subjective audio forum. I doubt Currawong has no idea how to listen to different inputs correctly. Plus my main point is my opinion - I’m saying optical with CDs sounds great to me. I bet this dac sounds great with lots of things so that’s probably the ultimate truth.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back