GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Oct 12, 2023 at 6:55 AM Post #7,681 of 8,957
Nope. I've auditioned my friend's May. It's closer to the sound from an Audio-gd DAC, especially in NOS mode. Absolutely NOTHING like a Benchmark DAC.
Yes. NOS mode I would chose for comparing, always. Bit-perfect transfers of audiophile quality music.

No. Springs 2 level 2 was fatiguing. There is a point where upper frequency become harsh, losing harmonic coherency with base notes. Transient details like reverbations on a decay disappear, image becomes blured, it turns to a one massive sound. It is not in a DAC, but in my brain no longer able fully reconstruct sound real-time. I became a very sensitive detector. Delta-Sigma DAC brings fatigue after 10-20 minutes, for Springs my brain switched to a simplified processing after one hour of listening at a medium volume. Other R2R DACs, Audio GD, even my entry level R2R-11 do not show such phenomenon, can listen for hours, all day.

For Holo May there were reports of hearing sea waves along music after couple of hours. Others report of developing pumping pressure or sort of dizziness. In my opinion this is a main reason of getting so many offers on a secondary market.

There was a discussion on technical aspects with other member on the NOS and sound preprocessing issue of May. It turned out I was wrong on the oversampling part, but from his measurements I came to a discovery that Holo Audio is adding spread spectrum ultrasonic scrambling to a sound. It leads to very good distortion figures and a measured ladder linearity, but these are averaged results over thousands (even hundred thousands) samples. Our ears react on each clock output value. Our sensors are not analogue, but digital. If it were analogue, we would perhaps need full analogue reconstruction of a waveform. We don't. NOS mode allows us to read digital samples in the original form (before analogue reconstruction), simplifying data conversion path, the actual DA conversion is made in our brain (If there is a conversion). From the Holo Audio example it looks like ultrasonic scrambling do not help our reconstruction process. It gives a pleasant effect in the short term, it doesn't lasts for long.

[EDIT] I didn't mean Benchmark DAC. Holo Audio DAC is a benchmark for measurements, that is. Others already picked up this nuance.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #7,682 of 8,957
The Qutest is closer to an Yggdrasil, and both are a noticeable degree more resolving than the R26. If you want a more "full" sounding DAC, then you'd want to consider one from Audio-gd.

Nope. I've auditioned my friend's May. It's closer to the sound from an Audio-gd DAC, especially in NOS mode. Absolutely NOTHING like a Benchmark DAC.
The Qutest is closer to an Yggdrasil, and both are a noticeable degree more resolving than the R26. If you want a more "full" sounding DAC, then you'd want to consider one from Audio-gd.

@Currawong - if you don't mind me asking, what DAC (under $10K usd) do you get the most pleasure of listening to and where would you put the R26 in the scale?

Oct 12, 2023 at 10:05 AM Post #7,683 of 8,957
Yes. NOS mode I would chose for comparing, always. Bit-perfect transfers of audiophile quality music.

No. Springs 2 level 2 was fatiguing. There is a point where upper frequency become harsh, losing harmonic coherency with base notes. Transient details like reverbations on a decay disappear, image becomes blured, it turns to a one massive sound. It is not in a DAC, but in my brain no longer able fully reconstruct sound real-time. I became a very sensitive detector. Delta-Sigma DAC brings fatigue after 10-20 minutes, for Springs my brain switched to a simplified processing after one hour of listening at a medium volume. Other R2R DACs, Audio GD, even my entry level R2R-11 do not show such phenomenon, can listen for hours, all day.

For Holo May there were reports of hearing sea waves along music after couple of hours. Others report of developing pumping pressure or sort of dizziness. In my opinion this is a main reason of getting so many offers on a secondary market.

There was a discussion on technical aspects with other member on the NOS and sound preprocessing issue of May. It turned out I was wrong on the oversampling part, but from his measurements I came to a discovery that Holo Audio is adding spread spectrum ultrasonic scrambling to a sound. It leads to very good distortion figures and a measured ladder linearity, but these are averaged results over thousands (even hundred thousands) samples. Our ears react on each clock output value. Our sensors are not analogue, but digital. If it were analogue, we would perhaps need full analogue reconstruction of a waveform. We don't. NOS mode allows us to read digital samples in the original form (before analogue reconstruction), simplifying data conversion path, the actual DA conversion is made in our brain (If there is a conversion). From the Holo Audio example it looks like ultrasonic scrambling do not help our reconstruction proces. It gives a pleasant effect in the short term, it doesn't lasts for long.

[EDIT] I didn't mean Benchmark DAC. Holo Audio DAC is a benchmark for measurements, that is. Others already picked up this nuance.
same to you @sajunky what DAC is have you derived the most listening pleasure from in the under $10 K (usd) bracket and where would you scale the R26?

Oct 12, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #7,684 of 8,957
same to you @sajunky what DAC is have you derived the most listening pleasure from in the under $10 K (usd) bracket and where would you scale the R26?
I don't have much exposure in current models and I didin't hear R26, but I am here, as it has NOS, while the closest competitor Soekris do not. I was attracted by features till I found that a claim of discrete non-feedback implementation is false.

In the past I liked sound of Ares 2, even planned to buy. It has very smooth not fatiguing sound. No opamps, means that if your downstream equipment is audiophile grade, you will get full potential from this DAC. On a natural scale is very low when comparing to R2R-11. This one carries rythm and full set of texture and emotions, it is like bringing firefighters orchestra to your room. It has a hint of high-end sound which Ares was missing. BF2 was dynamic, but these dynamics didn't carry emotion, poor details as well.

I mentioned the amateur firefighters orchestra, as they don't play precisely clean. After DIY upgrade with Crystek oscilators sound became more refined.

R2R-11 has the same problem as Gustard. It is sensitive to the quality of mains and a noise from a source equipment. It can sound bad, annoying during rush hours, then sound is opening late night. I have no power conditioner, so critical tests has to be done late night. Ground loops can be removed, but there is no universal cure. You will spend lot of time on this issue.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #7,685 of 8,957
I don't have much exposure in current models and I didin't hear R26, but I am here, as it has NOS, while the closest competitor Soekris do not. I was attracted by features till I found that a claim of discrete non-feedback implementation is false.

In the past I liked sound of Ares 2, even planned to buy. It has very smooth not fatiguing sound. No opamps, means that if your downstream equipment is audiophile grade, you will get full potential from this DAC. On a natural scale is very low when comparing to R2R-11. This one carries rythm and full set of texture and emotions, it is like bringing firefighters orchestra to your room. It has a hint of high-end sound which Ares was missing. BF2 was dynamic, but these dynamics didn't carry emotion, poor details as well.

I mentioned the amateur firefighters orchestra, as they don't play precisely clean. After DIY upgrade with Crystek oscilators sound became more refined.

R2R-11 has the same problem as Gustard. It is sensitive to the quality of mains and a noise from a source equipment. It can sound bad, annoying during rush hours, then sound is opening late night. I have no power conditioner, so critical tests has to be done late night. Ground loops can be removed, but there is no universal cure. You will spend lot of time on this issue.

@sajunky - "it is like bringing firefighters orchestra to your room" LOL! - Thanks for your insight!

Oct 13, 2023 at 5:46 AM Post #7,686 of 8,957
Lately my Gustard R26 is acting up. I turn my system on it is working fine and I start to listen to some tunes through Roon. When I pause the music for some time, like when I take a break and have a meal, it suddenly drops the connection and both Roon and Foobar2000 cannot detect the Gustard's renderer anymore, even after I restart the unit itself. I also tried using my PC's LAN cable but it is still the same. I did update the firmware to V1.4 but that was a month ago and I only have problem this week.

Did someone had this issue as well, perhaps you can share how you fixed it? Is there a way to downgrade the firmware back to previous version of V1.4?
I'll try to update the firmware to V1.42, hope this will fix the problem. I'm also wondering if I can use the warranty even if I did update the firmware myself.

Oct 13, 2023 at 7:58 AM Post #7,687 of 8,957
@Currawong - if you don't mind me asking, what DAC (under $10K usd) do you get the most pleasure of listening to and where would you put the R26 in the scale?
I'd honestly look for a Chord DAVE second-hand if I had that much to spend. There are a few DACs I haven't tried in that kind of price range though. More importantly though, is system synergy. If I didn't care about the resulting power bill and was going to leave my system on all the time (or most of the time) I might get an Audio-gd R7HE and HE-8 (or equivalent pre- and power-amp combo if with speakers).

Oct 13, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #7,690 of 8,957
If the Spring 3 is indirectly connected to the R26, I don't see where the Cyan 2 could be between the two?
I think the Cyan 2 will still have the DNA of the 1.
And also what the Cyan 1 already offered will be better in the 2 but everything will be a bit better.
Examples would be DSD and Pcm which can be chosen instead of both being completed.
I also think that the internal amplifier will be a bit better in terms of power and performance.

Oct 13, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #7,691 of 8,957
Been a while. How's everyone doing?
I have been into IEMs lately and spent a lot of time reading up about them.
My R26 is still on renderer 1.4 but HQPlayer no longer sees the R26 through NAT.
I might try to update the firmware...

Oct 13, 2023 at 12:21 PM Post #7,692 of 8,957
If the Spring 3 is indirectly connected to the R26, I don't see where the Cyan 2 could be between the two?
I think the Cyan 2 will still have the DNA of the 1.
And also what the Cyan 1 already offered will be better in the 2 but everything will be a bit better.
Examples would be DSD and Pcm which can be chosen instead of both being completed.
I also think that the internal amplifier will be a bit better in terms of power and performance.
DSD only with a network interface is ideally what I’m looking for.
I’m not impressed with the 1bit DSD of the R26.
With Holo audio I don’t want to pay a premium for an R2R ladder that I won’t ever touch.
Hopefully the Cyan2 will be the answer here. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Honestly the A26 is the best bet but Jussi says it can really only handle DSD256.

Oct 13, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #7,693 of 8,957
DSD only with a network interface is ideally what I’m looking for.
I’m not impressed with the 1bit DSD of the R26.
With Holo audio I don’t want to pay a premium for an R2R ladder that I won’t ever touch.
Hopefully the Cyan2 will be the answer here. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Honestly the A26 is the best bet but Jussi says it can really only handle DSD256.
I don't know if Holo will offer the same options as they did with the cyan 1.
I can imagine that there will be variations for cost reasons as we are currently experiencing.
We'll have to wait and see what comes out of that.
The Cyan 1 was very good in terms of implementation.
I looked for it like a fool and could no longer find it thanks to the Corona pandemic.
I found new units back then only with Dsd but also at sporty prices from China.
What will certainly not happen is that the Cyan 2 will be the same as the Spring 3, which will still be below it and attractive enough to afford it.

I haven't even heard the 1 bit Dac from the R26 yet. I actually drive it with the R2R ladder without DSD.
In direct comparison, as a first perception, I found the 1 bit generally softer and not quite as fluid as the R2R ladder.
I would have to hear it again.

Oct 13, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #7,694 of 8,957
I don't know if Holo will offer the same options as they did with the cyan 1.
I can imagine that there will be variations for cost reasons as we are currently experiencing.
We'll have to wait and see what comes out of that.
The Cyan 1 was very good in terms of implementation.
I looked for it like a fool and could no longer find it thanks to the Corona pandemic.
I found new units back then only with Dsd but also at sporty prices from China.
What will certainly not happen is that the Cyan 2 will be the same as the Spring 3, which will still be below it and attractive enough to afford it.

I haven't even heard the 1 bit Dac from the R26 yet. I actually drive it with the R2R ladder without DSD.
In direct comparison, as a first perception, I found the 1 bit generally softer and not quite as fluid as the R2R ladder.
I would have to hear it again.
I was told that dsd only will be it’s main focus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back