GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Sep 22, 2023 at 11:01 PM Post #7,546 of 8,833
Gotcha.
Page 1 will help that.
A wifi extender with a Lan port close to the R26 is all that’s needed.
Put it in receive only and you’re in business.
Sorry fella, been reading and also checking out extender options... Can't for the life of me find one that specifies 'receive only' mode. Have you got a link or manufacturer? TpLink ones have an app that helps to configure but still nothing specified for receive only...

Sep 22, 2023 at 11:07 PM Post #7,547 of 8,833
Interesting review of lhy clock and sw 6 switch:
https://6moons.com/audioreview_articles/lhy-audio-sw-10/
The sw6 is nice. Gustard has the N18 fiber switch coming out Oct/Nov I was told for a couple hundred less.
These switches just don’t make much sense to me. I can see them on the “dirty side” of the network, then fiber to the DAC. I just can’t see the logic hooking up all my network components, computer and my Dac into the same switch.

Sep 23, 2023 at 4:10 AM Post #7,549 of 8,833
A clock for the SW-10 is not audio clock (for Digital to Analog Conversion). SW-10 can be even driven by a different non-synchronised 10MHz clock, without sound deterioration. This (from a technical stand point) is like adding 10MHz clock input to the hard drive, as on the PC music is sourced from the hard drive!!! The same reasoning .LOL.

Technical standpoint was mentioned, sorry, I couldn't resist.
:)
I wrote already that ethernet is asynchronous.

I dont understand what do you want to assume?

Putting that aside, ethernet switches, dont require a clock as a standard component. However, some advanced or specialized switches may incorporate a clock for specific purposes. All audiophile switches have clocks: Ether Regen, Sotm sNH-10G, LHY.

The main advantage of the LHY SW-10 is that the internal 10MHz clock can be used to clock the Gustard R26.

Sep 23, 2023 at 6:58 AM Post #7,550 of 8,833
Moreover, the SW10 can be used to optically isolate the streamer, by using both of its SFP ports for LAN and computer connection. (USB C to SFP dongle on computer).

I do this to great effect with Red/May KTE, but it will be equally beneficial for R26, where you can also use the external clock, if you believe in that sort of thing.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2023 at 7:02 PM Post #7,551 of 8,833
If I was to purchase this DDC (link below) what cables (besides the power cord) would I need to hook this up to my R26? It looks like there are many options!
I'm presuming i2s would be best? Can I just use a regular cable (I recall discussions here about the pin configuration or something)?
Then, would I set the selector on the DAC to REF. CLOCK to external 10MHz? Thank you...

https://www.amazon.com./gp/product/B09LLPX95Z?noLL=1&askMessage=COOKIES_DISABLED_ERROR&th=1

EDIT: I also just purchased an Aurender N200 music streamer to work in conjunction with the R26. Do you think a DDC will still be a beneficial addition with the new streamer?

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2023 at 9:23 PM Post #7,552 of 8,833
If I was to purchase this DDC (link below) what cables (besides the power cord) would I need to hook this up to my R26? It looks like there are many options!
I'm presuming i2s would be best? Can I just use a regular cable (I recall discussions here about the pin configuration or something)?
Then, would I set the selector on the DAC to REF. CLOCK to external 10MHz? Thank you...

https://www.amazon.com./gp/product/B09LLPX95Z?noLL=1&askMessage=COOKIES_DISABLED_ERROR&th=1

EDIT: I also just purchased an Aurender N200 music streamer to work in conjunction with the R26. Do you think a DDC will still be a beneficial addition with the new streamer?

Some thoughts:

I'm not particularly familiar with the Aurender but given its price point and fact they have only provided two outputs - USB and s/pdif - you'd hope they would have optimised both to be super low jitter and noise. The R26 can sound very good with s/pdif or USB. I2S is theoretically potentially better than s/pdif due to its segregated clock and data lines but not necessarily any better than high quality USB. The limitations being the bitrate for s/pdif (won't go beyond PCM196kHz, so no external PCM or DSD upscaling) and for USB the limited isolation on the R26 USB input requiring a _very_ high quality/low noise USB signal to sound great - I've not yet managed it, but others have. The latter is hopefully a non-issue with the Aurender. What have you read about the quality of its USB output?

The U18, which I have, provides a near guaranteed improvement over a lower-decent quality USB source (incl any I have access to, incl Mac Mini/Zen Stream/Holo Titanis > R26) but not necessarily over a v high quality USB source. @Luvdac IIRC may be able to comment further...

If you did get the U18 you just need a USB cable and I2S cable. No need to change any R26 settings such as external clock setting which should be off (it refers to the 10Mhz BNC input). Default Gustard I2S setting on the U18 and R26 will work. However - from my reading on the U18 thread - to fully tap the potential of the U18 and do justice to the Aurender you'd really need superb USB and I2S cables - think Tubulus Argentus / Concentus or similar. Better power helps the U18 too, an AliX Flux-50 AC filter in my case.

My experience with the U18 to date - using 'just' the very good Gothic Audio Semperfi Outsider pure silver USB cable and Blue Jeans Audio FE I2S cable - is it has yet to best my R26 LAN input with a basic improved ethernet chain using the LHY switch, let alone further optimised to the extent it now is. This is even when the U18 is externally clocked which I find refines the U18's sound to > Singxer SU6 (stock SU6 > stock U18) but still < R26 (also externally clocked) LAN fed HQP upscaled PCM & DSD. Some others have preferred the U18 to the R26 LAN input but I find this hard to reconcile with my experience, unless they were using top flight cables and/or their ethernet chains weren't optimised.

Which reminds me @comzee - just back from hols, will check HQP settings and advise, though I'm still on v4 as couldn't face shelling out again for v5 just six months after getting v4. Grrr..

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2023 at 10:41 PM Post #7,553 of 8,833
Some thoughts:

I'm not particularly familiar with the Aurender but given its price point and fact they have only provided two outputs - USB and s/pdif - you'd hope they would have optimised both to be super low jitter and noise. The R26 can sound very good with s/pdif or USB. I2S is theoretically potentially better than s/pdif due to its segregated clock and data lines but not necessarily any better than high quality USB. The limitations being the bitrate for s/pdif (won't go beyond PCM196kHz, so no external PCM or DSD upscaling) and for USB the limited isolation on the R26 USB input requiring a _very_ high quality/low noise USB signal to sound great - I've not yet managed it, but others have. The latter is hopefully a non-issue with the Aurender. What have you read about the quality of its USB output?

The U18, which I have, provides a near guaranteed improvement over a lower-decent quality USB source (incl any I have access to, incl Mac Mini/Zen Stream/Holo Titanis > R26) but not necessarily over a v high quality USB source. @Luvdac IIRC may be able to comment further...

If you did get the U18 you just need a USB cable and I2S cable. No need to change any R26 settings such as external clock setting which should be off (it refers to the 10Mhz BNC input). Default Gustard I2S setting on the U18 and R26 will work. However - from my reading on the U18 thread - to fully tap the potential of the U18 and do justice to the Aurender you'd really need superb USB and I2S cables - think Tubulus Argentus / Concentus or similar. Better power helps the U18 too, an AliX Flux-50 AC filter in my case.

My experience with the U18 to date - using 'just' the very good Gothic Audio Semperfi Outsider pure silver USB cable and Blue Jeans Audio FE I2S cable - is it has yet to best my R26 LAN input with a basic improved ethernet chain using the LHY switch, let alone further optimised to the extent it now is. This is even when the U18 is externally clocked which I find refines the U18's sound to > Singxer SU6 (stock SU6 > stock U18) but still < R26 (also externally clocked) LAN fed HQP upscaled PCM & DSD. Some others have preferred the U18 to the R26 LAN input but I find this hard to reconcile with my experience, unless they were using top flight cables and/or their ethernet chains weren't optimised.

Which reminds me @comzee - just back from hols, will check HQP settings and advise, though I'm still on v4 as couldn't face shelling out again for v5 just six months after getting v4. Grrr..

Sep 24, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #7,555 of 8,833
Some thoughts:

Thanks for the tip on the cable too. On this side of the pond DH Labs cables are highly thought of. They only make one USB cable that I have heard good things about and it's 1/2 the price of the Tubulus Concentus. I think I go with that Between the Aurender and the R26 for now. I need to save up now for a better DAC.
Are you familiar with DACs using Ravenna protocol? Somehow, they use an ethernet card, not sure, haven't boned up on them yet. I think they are too pricey anyways.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2023 at 5:25 AM Post #7,556 of 8,833
@comzee
For what it's worth Here's my settings in HQP v4 based on Miska recommendations over at AS as to the then current default / best general purpose filters. Previously I used poly-sinc-ext2/3. The PCM dither LS15 sounded the best at 705/768khz bitrates, after AB'ing against the other dithers. This aligns to Miska guidance and Passion for Sound YT reviewer's more recently expressed preference after his own ABing. For DSD I used DSD512 for a while but my Mac Mini M1 16Gb couldn't manage the 7ECv2 modulators so with more basic modulators. After AB-ing vs my current setting of DSD256 with 7ECv2 modulators I found I preferred that. This also aligns to Miska general recommendation. I understand HQP v5 has some even more sophisticated filters and modulators, some of which are tailored to be less processor intensive.

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/19715-hq-player/?do=findComment&comment=1232766

20230925_210539.jpg

As to PCM vs DSD for a long while I used mainly DSD as to my ear vs PCM it was clearly more dynamic (especially bass weight, punch & texture), resolving and refined (greater soundstage precision and decay) if a little less palpable and full bodied in the mid-range. In recent months though I've switched back to PCM on current settings for slightly better ease and flow, more midrange body and sweetness on female vocals. With my tweaks last month to the FPGA chip on the PCM R2R ladder (tungsten cube + damping sheets) - that added a couple of bits of linearity (up from an OG of 15 to 16 from other baseline tweaks to power etc then this +2 to 18 bits) such that the dynamic range and resolution gap to DSD has narrowed to not much at all. As it stands now PCM > DSD in my system... [edit] for most music. An exception where I might still prefer DSD is say an acoustic recording of double bass like the excellent Bass Room album that's all about speed of leading edges, timbre and decay precision. Even then PCM probably has it on richness of tone if a little too much bloom to keep up with the lightfootedness of DSD on such music.

As an aside (@BShaw @rodthebod) I discovered where the DSD circuit is hiding (under the back edge of the R2R ladder board) but haven't yet been able to access it for similar damping short of removing the R2R ladder board. Maybe someone braver than I could take a look...

r26_7.jpg
r26_1000_01_en_04_2048x (1).jpg

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #7,557 of 8,833
Off topic
I have many switcher devices in the house. LED lights, thermostats, TV, router, etc. I noticed that my sound is better when most of these devices are turned off. One way to solve it is to get a filter for HiFi. Good filters are very expensive, and even such can degrade dynamics and microdynamics. So I'm thinking about installing cheap filters in front of those consumers with switch power supply. But I don't know if these filters will work reversibly, if they will only protect these devices from external interference, or if they will also protect the rest of the network from interference produced by these switcher devices. Does anyone know exactly how these filters work?

Sep 25, 2023 at 2:38 PM Post #7,558 of 8,833
Hello Gents,
The Audio-GD R7HEMK3 arrived today and is installed. I will refrain from giving any audio impressions since the breaking in period has just begun but I can speak to the quality and craftsmanship of the build and I am impressed. This is on par with DAC's costing twice as much. Very much the beast but with the regenerative power all that space is obviously needed. I will post more updates as I log the hours. Technically DSD and PCM are working without issue via i2s and USB. No DDC but direct from Hifi Rose RS130 to the R7HEMk3. I will do my best to do a comparison to the R26 once I log a few more hours on the new unit.

IMG_1111.jpg

Sep 25, 2023 at 10:03 PM Post #7,559 of 8,833
Off topic
I have many switcher devices in the house. LED lights, thermostats, TV, router, etc. I noticed that my sound is better when most of these devices are turned off. One way to solve it is to get a filter for HiFi. Good filters are very expensive, and even such can degrade dynamics and microdynamics. So I'm thinking about installing cheap filters in front of those consumers with switch power supply. But I don't know if these filters will work reversibly, if they will only protect these devices from external interference, or if they will also protect the rest of the network from interference produced by these switcher devices. Does anyone know exactly how these filters work?
Maybe you're speaking about something like this? https://isoteksystems.com/products/evo3-isoplug/
These are great and have been tested and measured by the guys at Alpha Audio and came out on top in their plug-in filter comparison. They will clean up noise either near the appliance in question, or you can just use them near your hifi gear by plugging one into the same receptacle your gear is tapped into, or at the first outlet of a power strip. I'm about to purchase another one.

Sep 25, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #7,560 of 8,833
Maybe you're speaking about something like this? https://isoteksystems.com/products/evo3-isoplug/
These are great and have been tested and measured by the guys at Alpha Audio and came out on top in their plug-in filter comparison. They will clean up noise either near the appliance in question, or you can just use them near your hifi gear by plugging one into the same receptacle your gear is tapped into, or at the first outlet of a power strip. I'm about to purchase another one.
@Forgisound I have the iFi one but don't really use it now for my main components as I've got the Puritan conditioner. My understanding is the iFi one at least uses active noise cancellation... generates equal and opposite waves to the noise it detects to cancel em out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back