GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Sep 12, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #7,336 of 8,892
But why? This is what I am missing? What are the filters doing that has to be done for OS but doesn’t need doing for NOS?
I think that is answered already but to add to the point NOS or non over sampling is like pure mode. Everything is just passed through. What is fed to it is what goes out of it. So if you do the filtering in Roon or Hqplayer in NOS mode the R26 doesn’t change the audio additionally as that would be double filtering. So just think of NOS as all off and what goes it goes out.

Sep 12, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #7,337 of 8,892
I think that is answered already but to add to the point NOS or non over sampling is like pure mode. Everything is just passed through. What is fed to it is what goes out of it. So if you do the filtering in Roon or Hqplayer in NOS mode the R26 doesn’t change the audio additionally as that would be double filtering. So just think of NOS as all off and what goes it goes out.
Apologies if I’ve missed the point, I do (I think) now understand what is happening…..but I don’t think my original question has been answered….which is…

…if I am feeding in a direct PCM signal from say Qobuz without any external filtering does it make sense to use NOS mode?

Sep 12, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #7,338 of 8,892
But why? This is what I am missing? What are the filters doing that has to be done for OS but doesn’t need doing for NOS?
The filters are passing, attenuating, and stopping certain frequencies (ultra sonic) that can affect the audible range during digital conversion.
Oversampling the signal gives the filter more room and allows for it to be gently applied instead of the “brick wall” filters we used to see.

if I am feeding in a direct PCM signal from say Qobuz without any external filtering does it make sense to use NOS mode?

That is a subjective point. You may like NOS mode or you may prefer a filter and oversampling.
To my ear the oversampling and mid filter sounded better than NOS by itself.
Using HQplayer filters and its up sampling was way better than using the mid filter and oversampling of the R26.
Using HQplayer as @duffer mentioned the R26 needs to be in NOS mode.

Sep 12, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #7,339 of 8,892
That is a subjective point. You may like NOS mode or you may prefer a filter and oversampling.
To my ear the oversampling and mid filter sounded better than NOS by itself.
Thank You.
I had tried NOS, but only briefly (a couple of tracks) and initial impression was it lost some bass definition, but I like to live with changes for a day or two before I come to any conclusion as I often find very early impressions can be focused on one or two things but over a longer period you truly appreciate whether there is an improvement or not. I didn’t want to ‘waste’ a couple of days to be told ‘you idiot…only use NOS if you are doing external filtering’ . Maybe now my system has settled and I’m happy and familiar with the standard OS sound I’ll give NOS a go and see what I think.

Sep 12, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #7,340 of 8,892
..... I have mine upgrade now to R26_CT_m2.1 ...
My last post was finding the latest system firmware for R26 and installing it.

I tried searching this thread for newer releases, to no avail.

Has there been a newer system firmware released for R26 since I installed R26_CT_m2.1 ?
If there has, can somebody please link it to me :)

I hate to make these posts, but Gustard refuses to host the system firmware on their website, so so dumb.

Sep 12, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #7,341 of 8,892
My last post was finding the latest system firmware for R26 and installing it.

I tried searching this thread for newer releases, to no avail.

Has there been a newer system firmware released for R26 since I installed R26_CT_m2.1 ?
If there has, can somebody please link it to me :)

I hate to make these posts, but Gustard refuses to host the system firmware on their website, so so dumb.
All summarized on post 1 from @m-i-c-k-e-y, if there was a newer firmware available it would be posted there as @m-i-c-k-e-y updates when applicable.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2023 at 3:37 PM Post #7,342 of 8,892
I have the R26 mostly used with my Jay’s CDT3 MK3 CD transport. I wanted to give streaming a try. Right now I only have the free version of Spotify.

I connected my laptop computer to the R26 via the included USB-A to USB-B 2.0 cable. It works. I can play from Spotify and it is coming through my stereo speakers but I am getting some ticks in the sound. It did get better (ie fewer ticks) which I assume is because my wireless was getting more consistent. Or could there be another issue?

Is this the best way or is there a better way to connect the computer to the R26 for streaming? I see some people use LAN but I am not sure how to do that. Do I need some additional software to make that work?

I am using my laptop but will give my desktop a try. It is further away and I will need a 16 foot USB cable. Will the long length affect the sound quality? Maybe I need to get a better quality cable too.

Thanks for any ideas. Kent

Sep 13, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #7,343 of 8,892
I have the R26 mostly used with my Jay’s CDT3 MK3 CD transport. I wanted to give streaming a try. Right now I only have the free version of Spotify.

I connected my laptop computer to the R26 via the included USB-A to USB-B 2.0 cable. It works. I can play from Spotify and it is coming through my stereo speakers but I am getting some ticks in the sound. It did get better (ie fewer ticks) which I assume is because my wireless was getting more consistent. Or could there be another issue?

Is this the best way or is there a better way to connect the computer to the R26 for streaming? I see some people use LAN but I am not sure how to do that. Do I need some additional software to make that work?

I am using my laptop but will give my desktop a try. It is further away and I will need a 16 foot USB cable. Will the long length affect the sound quality? Maybe I need to get a better quality cable too.

Thanks for any ideas. Kent
If you're committed to using the laptop/computer for streaming, I would definitely look into a quality USB cable, and a noise filter like this one: https://www.amazon.com/iFi-iSilencer-Eliminator-Suppressor-Adapter/dp/B084BZ7PGF?th=1 . And yes, 16feet is long for a USB cable in the audio world, and will cost you a fortune for a good cable!
But to answer the "best way" question, I'd say no this is not the best way. Have you read the tutorial for the FMC mod (page 1 sticky)? It's very simple, and allows you to run from your router/switch into the R26 via LAN (ethernet). Another option some here have used is to stick a wifi repeater near the R26 and then run a short ethernet cable from there to the R26.
If you go this route, your phone can then act as the "remote" for a UPnP app like Bubble Upnp, Mconnect, etc. I can't recall if the R26 incorporated Spotify Connect along the way but if the did you're golden.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2023 at 4:26 PM Post #7,344 of 8,892
Thanks BShaw. I appreciate the help. I am not necessarily committed to streaming from my laptop or desktop. I thought that was necessary to use the streamer in the R26. Is there another way to stream Spotify to the R26? Maybe this is the mod you refer to. I am at work but will definitely look at that.

I assume the noise filter will help with the ticks I am getting. Thanks!

I could continue to use my laptop and a shorter USB cable instead of using my desktop. I will have to see how it works from the desktop with a cheap cable 1st. I can see a quality cable 16 feet long is very expensive. I do have a quality I2S cable to connect the R26 to my Jay's transport, but I am not sure I want to spend that much for a long USB cable when the stream from free Spotify isn't all that good either. If I use it enough I would consider the paid Spotify. Thanks again.

Sep 13, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #7,345 of 8,892
Hello,

First of all, Spotify is not necessarily a good source for playing audio.

If you connect the R26 to the network via lan, you need a laptop or PC.
The same goes for the other inputs at the end.

Only Bluetooth is exempt because you can use the general streamer app with your tablet or smartphone.

Since I read you are using I2S from the Jay to the R26.
It is better to connect the Jay to it via USB than the Dac.
The Jay should be able to filter and process at least something.

The Fmc mod would actually be the better solution at 16 feet in terms of quality connection.

Sep 13, 2023 at 5:02 PM Post #7,346 of 8,892
Don't forget UPnP you could use too your tablet/smartphone via BubbleUPnP (Android), mconnect(IOS).

Sep 13, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #7,347 of 8,892
Thanks Deleeh. Yes I realize Spotify is not that great and especially the free version. Low quality. Right now I am just trying out streaming for the 1st time. I like it to explore something I have never heard before. Hearing it through my stereo is a step up from hearing through my computer. But if I start to really like it, I might upgrade the streamer and subscribe to Qobuz, Tidal or something else. For now, if I like something enough I buy the CD or LP.

I tried connecting an ethernet cable to the R26 and my laptop. I am not sure I did that correctly because it didn't work. That is why I thought I needed some additional software. I see people using Roon. Thanks

Sep 13, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #7,349 of 8,892
UPnP for windows: Foobar, Jplay, Jriver, Audirvana to name a few.

Well you can always go Roon.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back