GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Aug 26, 2023 at 6:21 PM Post #7,186 of 8,959
Sorry for the confusion Jake, l asked, simply you made reference to running your FMC from 12volt battery, and l guess l was interested if would work, as my FMC are rated for 5volt, mine,are Media Convertors,with the usual six green LEDs, and more importantly l was afraid of damage,as it's more than double the voltage.

Aug 26, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #7,187 of 8,959
Sorry for the confusion Jake, l asked, simply you made reference to running your FMC from 12volt battery, and l guess l was interested if would work, as my FMC are rated for 5volt, mine,are Media Convertors,with the usual six green LEDs, and more importantly l was afraid of damage,as it's more than double the voltage.
All good. Rod's FMCs specifically state a 5v-12v input (print above DC socket) so I knew I was safe with 12v, not sure I'd risk it with an FMC that is specified as 5v only.

Aug 26, 2023 at 6:54 PM Post #7,189 of 8,959
Aug 26, 2023 at 7:27 PM Post #7,191 of 8,959
Aug 27, 2023 at 2:18 AM Post #7,193 of 8,959
Thanks Jake, l notice yours recommend 5 volts as well, according to specs.

This is the type that l run

FMC

Cheers, well here's a pic of mine.

Btw adding in an Ifi DC purifier and three stacked damping sheets elevates the performance such (more refined, full bodied sound) that my system now sounds better without the AliX switch reclocker in the chain, but it still benefits from the iFi LAN silencer after the FMCs (even more refined, more expansive soundstage) and the Netgear switch preceding the FMCs.

Those Ifi DC purifiers are amazingly effective and versatile... A great way of finding out the bottleneck that DC power supply quality is on multiple components with a range of DC voltages. I can see myself getting another as this one's usual home is pimping an Ifi Power X 5v DC feed into an Ifi Spdif purifier from the TV into the R26... (amazing there too).

20230827_181035.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2023 at 2:57 AM Post #7,196 of 8,959
guess the benchmark for the R26 is to somehow play a wav file from the internal sd card, thus negating any transport issues, once you've heard that then you know what you're aiming for with LAN or usb tweaks
One thing we learned from the squeezebox touch and seen on RPI optimisations is the default tcpip and alsa buffer values are too small and can be adjusted to provide a smoother sound, if smaller values give more detail then that's likely due to noise creation

Aug 29, 2023 at 3:13 AM Post #7,197 of 8,959
guess the benchmark for the R26 is to somehow play a wav file from the internal sd card, thus negating any transport issues, once you've heard that then you know what you're aiming for with LAN or usb tweaks
One thing we learned from the squeezebox touch and seen on RPI optimisations is the default tcpip and alsa buffer values are too small and can be adjusted to provide a smoother sound, if smaller values give more detail then that's likely due to noise creation
Interesting re the buffer values impact elsewhere. Faux detail due to artificially etched edges is definitely a thing, a really unpleasant thing to my ears, though I can see how some folk with warmer speakers and/or amps (or less revealing systems) might have a greater tolerance for it or may initially perceive the loss of those edges as a loss of detail. Might explain the varying experience some of us have with the exact same DDCs vs the R26 internal renderer. Other variables too of course.

Aug 29, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #7,199 of 8,959
Anybody else made their own esoteric fuses ?

I replaced the standard fuse by a Littelfuse 3A slow blow which got a spiral shape wire.

Next I used a Dremel with miniature cutting disc to make a hole in the glass of the fuse.
Needed a few tries as a few times the glass cracked completely.
Next I melted some Wiertz beeswax in a small cup using a hair dryer.
Put the fuse in a couple of times using long nose pliers, making sure it was filled up with beeswax completely.
Let it cool off with the hole facing up obviously, and cleaned it thoroughly (paper & iso alcohol).
PFTE tape to cover the hole in the fuse.

Yet another tick on the mod list.

Aug 29, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #7,200 of 8,959
Anybody else made their own esoteric fuses ?

I replaced the standard fuse by a Littelfuse 3A slow blow which got a spiral shape wire.

Next I used a Dremel with miniature cutting disc to make a hole in the glass of the fuse.
Needed a few tries as a few times the glass cracked completely.
Next I melted some Wiertz beeswax in a small cup using a hair dryer.
Put the fuse in a couple of times using long nose pliers, making sure it was filled up with beeswax completely.
Let it cool off with the hole facing up obviously, and cleaned it thoroughly (paper & iso alcohol).
PFTE tape to cover the hole in the fuse.

Yet another tick on the mod list.
Filling up fuse with something else than air changes rating of a fuse, it is illegal.

As many users promote such mod, it should be a warning on the front page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back