GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Aug 17, 2023 at 5:09 PM Post #7,126 of 8,831
has anyone tried taking the transformers out of the case, there looks to be enough cable just to try it ? The EMF will be affecting the digital/audio circuits as well as the transformers affecting each other. If you were designing a top of the range system you'd want the digital/audio circuits isolated, the transformers are only in the same box for convenience. Potentially a cheap cost effective upgrade.
Yes...l have.... And your quite correct, in theory moving any psu out of it's enclosure should bring benefits. However l would imagine you would have to put some effort into it, correct block conectors, sockets, multi core cable that's sheilded.

Aug 17, 2023 at 8:28 PM Post #7,127 of 8,831
has anyone tried taking the transformers out of the case, there looks to be enough cable just to try it ? The EMF will be affecting the digital/audio circuits as well as the transformers affecting each other. If you were designing a top of the range system you'd want the digital/audio circuits isolated, the transformers are only in the same box for convenience. Potentially a cheap cost effective upgrade.
The metal shield takes care of that.

Aug 17, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #7,128 of 8,831
The metal shield takes care of that.
no it doesn't, plus you'll be removing vibration and hum
you've got people reporting improvements by loosening screws and here you've got two massive vibrating and EMF producing things screwed to the chassis and also side by side interfering with each other, surely it's worth a try. I'll be doing it when I buy one. Is £1649 the best price for someone in the UK, cheaper direct, but guess there'll be customs to pay ?

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #7,130 of 8,831
I think removing the transformers from the case might be worth a try, but I don't see there being enough wire to extend to another box. You'll only have to extend the supply cables that run to the board, probably by replacing the wires all the way from the original taps. The wires Gustard used are solid bare copper in clear tubes, I think they're PVC or another soft plastic, although they could be PTFE, because I couldn't get very sticky copper tape to stick to them at all. An interesting choice on the part of Gustard, since they've got air dielectric there and a bit of extra effort/expense where they could have easily used sheathed wire.

Aug 18, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #7,131 of 8,831
I think removing the transformers from the case might be worth a try, but I don't see there being enough wire to extend to another box. You'll only have to extend the supply cables that run to the board, probably by replacing the wires all the way from the original taps. The wires Gustard used are solid bare copper in clear tubes, I think they're PVC or another soft plastic, although they could be PTFE, because I couldn't get very sticky copper tape to stick to them at all. An interesting choice on the part of Gustard, since they've got air dielectric there and a bit of extra effort/expense where they could have easily used sheathed wire.
Yes looks like you would have to fit adapter socket, and a 8 pin extension lead, from new PSU housing to R26. Fiddly ..but possible

Aug 19, 2023 at 6:54 AM Post #7,132 of 8,831
The problem with R26 is that there is too little memory for quality support of all streaming services.
While Roon and HQ Player work perfectly, UPnP freezes at all HiRes resolutions. For some services like Tidal and others, there is no direct support.

There are the most non-Chinese R26 users here. Maybe we could make a petition. With the request that Gustard create several special firmwares for services that would fit in memory individually.

Right now it's pointless that they made a firmware that improved UPnP for PCM, while DSD is not supported in that version.

It would be better if they grouped the support. If UPnP requires the most memory, let one version only have UPnP support, but let PCM and DSD work. Users streaming with UPnP do not use Roon or HQPlayer. Well, support for those standards can be in another version.

In the third version, it can be Tidal, Spotify or Qobuz. And so on.

What do you think of the idea?

Aug 19, 2023 at 8:17 AM Post #7,133 of 8,831
If UPnP requires the most memory, let one version only have UPnP support, but let PCM and DSD work.
Gustard did not create the UPNP renderer of the streamer.
They installed in their OS MPD up to 1v40. MPD is a widespread renderer on streamers. It supports both PCM and DSD.
Starting 1v42, they installed Gemediarender, which is another widespread renderer for streamers, but it does not support DSD.

Gustard won't create a UPNP renderer of their own.
If you want to play both PCM and DSD, install 1v40.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #7,134 of 8,831
Gustard nije izradio UPNP renderer streamera.
Instalirali su u svoj OS MPD do 1v40. MPD je široko rasprostranjen renderer na streamerima. podržava i PCM i DSD.
Počevši od 1v42, instalirali su Gemediarender, koji je još jedan rašireni renderer za streamere, ali ne podržava DSD.

Gustard neće izraditi vlastiti UPNP renderer.
Ako želite igrati i PCM i DSD renderer, instalirajte 1v40.
OK, thank you.

Aug 19, 2023 at 9:05 AM Post #7,135 of 8,831
The problem with R26 is that there is too little memory for quality support of all streaming services.
While Roon and HQ Player work perfectly, UPnP freezes at all HiRes resolutions. For some services like Tidal and others, there is no direct support.

There are the most non-Chinese R26 users here. Maybe we could make a petition. With the request that Gustard create several special firmwares for services that would fit in memory individually.

Right now it's pointless that they made a firmware that improved UPnP for PCM, while DSD is not supported in that version.

It would be better if they grouped the support. If UPnP requires the most memory, let one version only have UPnP support, but let PCM and DSD work. Users streaming with UPnP do not use Roon or HQPlayer. Well, support for those standards can be in another version.

In the third version, it can be Tidal, Spotify or Qobuz. And so on.

What do you think of the idea?
I like your idea.
Here doesn't matter if running 1.40 or 1.42 UPNP don't flow in a consistent wave, are ever some crash in the streamer flow and it's is a desastre for the experience.
Roon is perfect like you say but I prefer invest in a external streamer.

Aug 19, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #7,136 of 8,831
Yes looks like you would have to fit adapter socket, and a 8 pin extension lead, from new PSU housing to R26. Fiddly ..but possible
I've done it before with CD players and amps back in the day and thought it made a difference, just soldered in a bit of mains cable to extend. Think the first thing to do with the R26 would be to just move the transformers as far apart and away from the circuits as the cables will allow to see if it makes a difference. Though just having the case off will affect things as well.
I see you're from the UK, would you mind telling me where you bought your R26 from ? Thanks

Aug 19, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #7,137 of 8,831
UPNP don't flow in a consistent wave
The issue may be related to your UPNP player rather than the streamer.
Which UPNP player are you using?

Aug 19, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #7,138 of 8,831
The issue may be related to your UPNP player rather than the streamer.
Which UPNP player are you using?
Before I went to Roon, I used Bubble, MConnect, and JPlay, and I had stuttering and lags on all three, although far less with JPlay. I think it's both the players and the limited buffering capacity or the R8. JPlay was good enough that I could live with it, but Roon was worth the investment in every way possible, another level altogether especially the user experience. Thanks to @camrector for busting my chops until I gave in :deadhorse:

Aug 19, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #7,140 of 8,831
Before I went to Roon, I used Bubble, MConnect, and JPlay, and I had stuttering and lags on all three
They all have in common to run on a phone or a tablet.
I don't use the built-in streamer of the R26, but I did not have issues when I streamed to it with Origin, Foobar or JRiver from my Mac.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back