GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Aug 12, 2023 at 3:52 AM Post #7,112 of 8,956
The choice of the input should also depend on the cables that you have.
Try, and check which input sounds best to your ears.
Compare it also to the built-in streamer of the R26, because it performs well.

Aug 12, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #7,113 of 8,956
How to Open / Remove/Loosen screws (tweak): See POST

Are there pictures of the connectors underneath the R2R board for the loosen screw mod? I am struggling to understand the instructions for removing the R2R board to get to the 2 screws underneath it.

Aug 13, 2023 at 4:55 AM Post #7,114 of 8,956
anyone care to share what the consensus or at least what people are talking about when it comes to which input being the best if I already have a dedicated streamer?
From what I have read here and from reviews, it appears that most prefer the LAN input (using the internal streamer/renderer) with noise free connection. This typically implies buying/using a fiber media converter (see page 1).

Others, using streamers costing as much as (or more than) the R26 itself, say that via IIS/I2S it is even better.

To me, it doesn't make sense spending big money on a high end streamer when not using much of what you pay for (using the R26 as DAC).

Aug 13, 2023 at 5:29 AM Post #7,115 of 8,956
anyone care to share what the consensus or at least what people are talking about when it comes to which input being the best if I already have a dedicated streamer?
Depends on your system..

If you have the R26: Let your ears decide, test both.
If you don't have the R26: You can still use R26 as a DAC. Test both, if the internal streamer of R26 is good for you, then sell your streamer. Add FMC mod if you don't have it.

Aug 13, 2023 at 6:28 AM Post #7,116 of 8,956
I'm selling an FMC setup if anyone doesn't really know where to start with putting their own together, or if you'd like help with that feel free to reach out. I found it a massive gain on my LAN line, but have since switched to USB as I'm trying other DACs, although I found the LAN port much much better than USB on the R26.

Aug 13, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #7,117 of 8,956
I'm selling an FMC setup if anyone doesn't really know where to start with putting their own together, or if you'd like help with that feel free to reach out. I found it a massive gain on my LAN line, but have since switched to USB as I'm trying other DACs, although I found the LAN port much much better than USB on the R26.
l recently found a big improvement with the R26 via LAN, but TBH l had a bigger jump using the FMC into LAN of the R26,an important part is the run low noise PSUs on the FMC, and Router and switches.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2023 at 10:54 PM Post #7,119 of 8,956
how much for the fmc setup?

Aug 15, 2023 at 3:22 AM Post #7,120 of 8,956
l recently found a big improvement with the R26 via LAN, but TBH l had a bigger jump using the FMC into LAN of the R26,an important part is the run low noise PSUs on the FMC, and Router and switches.
I'm also selling an optional LHY Linear Power Supply that pairs well with the FMC's. I won't mention any more in this thread as I don't want to derail it but I've found the same, an LPS (on the Switch and the after-fiber side FMC) cleaned up the LAN input a lot.

Aug 15, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #7,121 of 8,956
I was in doing the screw loosening today, and I looked at my bench and what do you know, there was a piece of copper flashing just sitting there, so:

Attachments

• IMG_5411.jpeg
    IMG_5411.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
Aug 16, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #7,122 of 8,956
Yes, I have the R26 with the Feliks Euforia amplifier and Auteur and Atrium attached.
I've only had Atrium for a day, but with the Auteur I can say that it has made a good 3 steps forward with the R26.

Atrium sounds fantastic for now, despite the burn in phase.

@sound-eq

Nos and Dsd are off on the R26 and I have the upsampling done on roon with 32/96.
I have seen that Roon still downsamples from 64 dsd even though it goes through the ladder and Pcm/DSD are off.

I don't know why and haven't found a way to turn it off yet.
That it was direct Pcm, I left it like that and thought that there was nothing I could do about it and it must be fixed.

Passion for Sound seems to be the first to take the trouble to evaluate the Lan area and additionally like it.
I'm curious to hear more impressions and what kind of setup he will choose in the network.
His assessment largely coincides with what my personal impression is.
I was surprised that he compared it with the TT2.
And the Spring 3 seems to have really gained in popularity.

Can confirm regarding the Gustard and Auteur. I had the Bifrost 2 and used it with my Jotunheim 2 and Eufonika H5 miflex. Listening with the Auteurs on both amps, I understood immediately why people say the Auteur can lack dynamics, is slow, etc. Some slower music sounded excellent due to the Bifrost 2 warmth but most songs sounded muted. The Gustard is like a 33-50% improvement over the Bifrost 2 (and I haven't even modded it at all). It's that good. The Auteur sounds like a drastically different headphone now. It's still not the fastest and may lack a bit of dynamics on the fastest songs but overall, it's amazing.

Aug 16, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #7,124 of 8,956
As for as I know....None.

There are articles about microSD used as music storage (encountered mostly Sandisk Extreme Pro as general preference). But haven't encountered as OS.

For M.2 NVME though, the AS guyz swear on SLC vs TLC NAND chips.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #7,125 of 8,956
I was in doing the screw loosening today, and I looked at my bench and what do you know, there was a piece of copper flashing just sitting there, so:
has anyone tried taking the transformers out of the case, there looks to be enough cable just to try it ? The EMF will be affecting the digital/audio circuits as well as the transformers affecting each other. If you were designing a top of the range system you'd want the digital/audio circuits isolated, the transformers are only in the same box for convenience. Potentially a cheap cost effective upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back