GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Aug 10, 2023 at 12:41 AM Post #7,081 of 8,893
Just for kicks, I once tested Pixel 5 -> Wiim Pro (Chromecast) -> Bluesound NODE N130 (optical input) -> Singxer SU-6 (USB in) -> R26 (I2S) VS. Pixel 5 -> R26 (Bluetooth LDAC codec) and the LDAC Bluetooth won hands down.
This reminds me… So just for kicks last month when I was in a vibration damping frenzy (incl switches and ground boxes, both very worthwhile) I tried vibration damping using stacked fo.Q sheets with mild tacky adhesive on my Samsung Galaxy phone sending Tidal lossless content via LDAC BT to my iFi Gryphon. Spooky action at a distance, improvement was not subtle, a bit like improving an Ethernet chain, less glare, more full bodied, better dynamics. Considered posting a YT vid such was the delta. Posted about it on the AliX cables thread. Need to try it with the R26 BT.

Aug 10, 2023 at 2:24 AM Post #7,082 of 8,893
Wow! This sounds very much like the Ares II "loosen screw" mod that I have come across before online. Can you describe how it sounds different? More relaxed, less fatiguing?

Otherwise, I agree that things like internal vs. external streamer can be a mixed bag. Just for kicks, I once tested Pixel 5 -> Wiim Pro (Chromecast) -> Bluesound NODE N130 (optical input) -> Singxer SU-6 (USB in) -> R26 (I2S) VS. Pixel 5 -> R26 (Bluetooth LDAC codec) and the LDAC Bluetooth won hands down.
Concur re: LDAC - I use the alternative A2DP driver on my PC sometimes to connect my Gustard X26Pro to my PC. Sounds very good for what it is. I think there's a benefit form real galvanic isolation (be sure to disconnect your DAC's USB and Ethernet port in the case of the R26) and also the codec preserving a ton of data (though I think the LDAC codec has been shown by @Archimago to be a tiny bit lossy).

Aug 10, 2023 at 4:40 AM Post #7,084 of 8,893
The password of your session on your computer.
If you did not set a password for your session, try clicking 'OK' without entering anything.

Aug 10, 2023 at 4:48 AM Post #7,086 of 8,893
People reported that the adapters don't work well, neither the USB-C/USB-C cables.
You need a USB-A/USB-C cable. You may have to try several of them before finding one that works.

Aug 10, 2023 at 4:56 AM Post #7,088 of 8,893
All depends on the streaming setup that you are using. A very good external streaming setup beats the internal streamer.

Aug 10, 2023 at 5:10 AM Post #7,089 of 8,893
Wow! This sounds very much like the Ares II "loosen screw" mod that I have come across before online. Can you describe how it sounds different? More relaxed, less fatiguing?

Otherwise, I agree that things like internal vs. external streamer can be a mixed bag. Just for kicks, I once tested Pixel 5 -> Wiim Pro (Chromecast) -> Bluesound NODE N130 (optical input) -> Singxer SU-6 (USB in) -> R26 (I2S) VS. Pixel 5 -> R26 (Bluetooth LDAC codec) and the LDAC Bluetooth won hands down.
Yeah, i also saw a youtuber years ago talking about this tweak but never took it serious, till i opened up my device to swap SD card.

After i loosened the screws to open the device, i noticed that they where crazy tight fastened so that the chassis was quite stiff. After ive done this, i noticed an improvement in SQ and was imediately reminded of this one youtuber.

The benefits of this tweak = Stage opens up, better imaging, more space between the instruments.

The above tweak depends if your device has crazy tight screws or not, because not all devices come equally tightened from the factory .

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2023 at 7:46 AM Post #7,090 of 8,893
Yeah, i also saw a youtuber years ago talking about this tweak but never took it serious, till i opened up my device to swap SD card.

After i loosened the screws to open the device, i noticed that they where crazy tight fastened so that the chassis was quite stiff. After ive done this, i noticed an improvement in SQ and was imediately reminded of this one youtuber.

The benefits of this tweak = Stage opens up, better imaging, more space between the instruments.

The above tweak depends if your device has crazy tight screws or not, because not all devices come equally tightened from the factory .
Is there guide for this somewhere I can read up on or is it literally just all the screws to open the covers? Typically, it tends to be screws that flex the R2R board which may include other screws inside the unit?

Aug 10, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #7,091 of 8,893
Is there guide for this somewhere I can read up on or is it literally just all the screws to open the covers? Typically, it tends to be screws that flex the R2R board which may include other screws inside the unit?
This was covered in Post #6,993 of 7,090 by Deelah in detail a few pages back with pics before fusegate! Maybe post worthy of a sticky on the first page?

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2023 at 9:43 AM Post #7,092 of 8,893
Concur re: LDAC - I use the alternative A2DP driver on my PC sometimes to connect my Gustard X26Pro to my PC. Sounds very good for what it is. I think there's a benefit form real galvanic isolation (be sure to disconnect your DAC's USB and Ethernet port in the case of the R26) and also the codec preserving a ton of data (though I think the LDAC codec has been shown by @Archimago to be a tiny bit lossy).
I use a iFi iDefender+ for USB galvanic isolation with a LPS and it has worked pretty well. USB is definitely a step up from Bluetooth LDAC for streaming YouTube music which unfortunately doesn't get a lot of love from streaming devices.

Aug 10, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #7,093 of 8,893
PAGE 1

Aug 10, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #7,094 of 8,893
Aug 10, 2023 at 10:52 AM Post #7,095 of 8,893
I use a iFi iDefender+ for USB galvanic isolation with a LPS and it has worked pretty well. USB is definitely a step up from Bluetooth LDAC for streaming YouTube music which unfortunately doesn't get a lot of love from streaming devices.
I used to use YT Music Premium with LDAC Bluetooth and it was OK but things take on another level of quality, with this BT connection, if you use BubbleuPnP or Mconnect reading local Flac or WAV files at the much higher bitrates. YT Music delivers much lower bitrates (>300Mbps) and it's very audible. Not the same level as using USB/LAN/I2s but it's impressive for a wireless connection, ensure you go to developer BT settings and set 'optimised for best audio output' rather than the default 'best effort' when using LDAC.

I still use LDAC on my outside system as described above but LAN input for the R26 with all the trimmings (FMC/LPS/switch etc)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back