GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
May 6, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #5,806 of 8,833
No Problem. Good luck! Maybe more people have tried it with Roon so they can share their thoughts....

By the way, per Jake: "When using external upscaling make sure the R26's PCM NOS and/or DSD Direct menu options are set to ON. Meaning Non-oversampling is ON ie. R26 internal oversampling turned off. Otherwise you'd be doubling up on external and internal oversampling."
thanks yes i want to do all upsampling on roon only

also wonder what other members choose when using roon only and lan

thanks

Last edited:
May 6, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #5,807 of 8,833
thanks alot

i want then roon do the upsampling only

so shall i set nos to On and dsd to On on gustard

sorry to keep asking as its very confusing
In your case there are 2 ways to increase the sample rate before the Digital to Analogue conversion:
1. Let R26 ‘oversample’ (set R26 menu: PCM NOS = off)
2. Let Roon ‘upsample’ (set R26 menu: PCM NOS = on)

It is hard to say which sounds best, only you can be the judge, so take a well-recorded song that you know and listen what sounds best to you.

From my personal experience I think upsampling using HQPlayer is superior to both options (1 + 2) mentioned above.

May 6, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #5,808 of 8,833
No Problem. Good luck! Maybe more people have tried it with Roon so they can share their thoughts....

By the way, per Jake: "When using external upscaling make sure the R26's PCM NOS and/or DSD Direct menu options are set to ON. Meaning Non-oversampling is ON ie. R26 internal oversampling turned off. Otherwise you'd be doubling up on external and internal oversampling."
I realise I was slightly conflating external upsampling with R26 internal oversampling but the general principle stands - best not to double-up.

May 6, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #5,809 of 8,833
I have Calderas coming and I wanted to make setup around my Atrium and Caldera. I have almost decided for V550 as amp, does someone knows wether the R26 goes well with this Amp and ZMF HP's? After some researching I got interest in the R26 and I never tried R2R. Also looked for the Spring 3 KTE, but sure is priced compared to the improvements you can get.

Last edited:
May 6, 2023 at 11:22 PM Post #5,810 of 8,833
I have Calderas coming and I wanted to make setup around my Atrium and Caldera. I have almost decided for V550 as amp, does someone knows wether the R26 goes well with this Amp and ZMF HP's? After some researching I got interest in the R26 and I never tried R2R. Also looked for the Spring 3 KTE, but sure is priced compared to the improvements you can get.
Yes, I have the R26 with the Feliks Euforia amplifier and Auteur and Atrium attached.
I've only had Atrium for a day, but with the Auteur I can say that it has made a good 3 steps forward with the R26.

Atrium sounds fantastic for now, despite the burn in phase.

@sound-eq

Nos and Dsd are off on the R26 and I have the upsampling done on roon with 32/96.
I have seen that Roon still downsamples from 64 dsd even though it goes through the ladder and Pcm/DSD are off.

I don't know why and haven't found a way to turn it off yet.
That it was direct Pcm, I left it like that and thought that there was nothing I could do about it and it must be fixed.

Passion for Sound seems to be the first to take the trouble to evaluate the Lan area and additionally like it.
I'm curious to hear more impressions and what kind of setup he will choose in the network.
His assessment largely coincides with what my personal impression is.
I was surprised that he compared it with the TT2.
And the Spring 3 seems to have really gained in popularity.

May 7, 2023 at 12:45 AM Post #5,811 of 8,833
For anyone that has a computer like mine that can’t run the latest modulators in HQPlayer or are looking for good DSD upscaling settings. I might have found something thanks to Jake. I tried the modulator: ASDM7ECv2 with bit rate 48k x128 as my computer can’t handle that modulator at higher rate. poly-sinc-gauss-long filter and hires-lp. This now competes with my pcm settings and might beat them. That modulator is dang good. Or maybe DSD128 is still great.

Edit: This is from a couple years ago but this post by Jussi with HQPlayer might be interesting to people: https://community.roonlabs.com/t/the-sound-of-dsd/171119/39
Note: I think this was before the v2 version of the modulator came out.

Second edit: new version of hqplayer came out recently. It may reduce noise during beginning or end of the song for upscaling PCM to DSD but would need others to share their thoughts. Also new modulators to play around with. Trying the v3. There is a discount thing you can find in the store page of website if you already bought it before. Ok and now I’m a believer that this is the best I’ve heard this dac and headphones sound. It’s perfection. DSD 128 with the new ASDM7ECv3 modulator. I’m changing my signature. This is it! I would probably run 256 or 512 DSD if I had a better computer hooked up. I’m very thankful this exists.

Last edited:
May 7, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #5,812 of 8,833
Has anyone found a write up of this dac versus an equally affordable Soekris dac2541 DAC?

I am on the fence between them.

May 7, 2023 at 6:17 PM Post #5,813 of 8,833
Has anyone found a write up of this dac versus an equally affordable Soekris dac2541 DAC?

I am on the fence between them.
You can assume that the R26 will be better than the Sokris, unless you want the neutral, then the Sokris would be your thing.
However, the R26 is better overall, not only in terms of features but also in terms of sound.
It will make you forget that you wanted something more neutral.
If you do, you can always go for a more neutral amplifier.

The R26 also runs through my Denon Pma 800NE.
And that has been tuned very neutrally together with the R26 it has really blossomed in the small 2 way speaker area. The warmth that the R26 brings is just right.
However, the headphone output on the Denon is really badly done.
Unfortunately, this is still the case with amplifiers these days.

May 7, 2023 at 9:37 PM Post #5,815 of 8,833
How to check the firmware version? I just updated on A26, to the successful write image step, I turned off usb image, everything closed, I don't know if the firmware has been updated successfully. Thanks
Oh and does anyone have a clip or guide to replace the fuse, I don't know how to remove the old fuse :D

May 8, 2023 at 7:19 AM Post #5,816 of 8,833
Loving the 3D soundstage and depth of the R26. I have one add-on: SR Master Fuse. Even with this, it is still a little dark in the treble. Not as much air as I hoped it might have. Still my favorite DAC so far, however.

Would anyone be able to point me towards DAC with a little more air and detail but still having great soundstage? I know it'll cost me, but I'm seriously considering.

May 8, 2023 at 7:35 AM Post #5,817 of 8,833
It's strange that no one heard the difference in sound in the latest firmware (v1.42), where they replaced upnp mpd library with the upnp mediarender library. I can hear this difference very well:
room, spacious +
musicality, liveliness +
softness, naturalness +
lower frequencies, lower middle (juiciness, punch, volume) ++

Last edited:
May 8, 2023 at 7:53 AM Post #5,819 of 8,833
there is no concept of "analog sound" in English language? this means naturalness, a minimum of digital nuances in sound

May 8, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #5,820 of 8,833
It's strange that no one heard the difference in sound in the latest firmware (v1.42), where they replaced upnp mpd library with the upnp mediarender library. I can hear this difference very well:
room, spacious +
musicality, liveliness +
softness, naturalness +
lower frequencies, lower middle (juiciness, punch, volume) ++
That’s interesting. I presume the latest update doesn’t affect tidal connect sq but just upnp. I will update soon and see if I can pick up any sq differences between Tidal connect and Jplay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back