GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Apr 28, 2023 at 8:31 PM Post #5,686 of 8,949
Thanks to everyone on this thread for some great advice. Threads like this one is exactly why I love Head-Fi.

I received my R26 I guess about a month ago and have been taking my time getting through this epic thread.

Just installed my FMC earlier in the week. On both the dirty end and the clean end I have a monoprice slim line cat 6, 6” on the clean end. Should I be using a shielded cat 8 on the clean side? I don’t have a short cat 8 to test, but could order one for a few dollars if that is the way to go.
Test it out and see. I use a 10in cat8 in my clean side with fantastic results.
Others use cat6 on the clean side.
I didn’t notice a difference but in theory the best bet is a cat6 on the clean side

Oh and welcome

Apr 28, 2023 at 8:45 PM Post #5,687 of 8,949
Test it out and see. I use a 10in cat8 in my clean side with fantastic results.
Others use cat6 on the clean side.
I didn’t notice a difference but in theory the best bet is a cat6 on the clean side

Oh and welcome
Thanks, I’ll order a short run of cat8 and see how it goes. The FMC as is has made a huge difference as is, wish I had been using it with all my previous streamers.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2023 at 8:48 PM Post #5,688 of 8,949
My apologies for the non introduction post. I have been reading this thread off & on for weeks and still only 3/4 of the way through, phew!
The R-26 replaced a IFI Neo Idsd and I've been very pleased with the upgrade. I really want to try the FMC + LAN input but haven't had any luck so far.
John
What do you mean when you say you're not having any luck?

Apr 28, 2023 at 10:13 PM Post #5,689 of 8,949
My apologies for the non introduction post. I have been reading this thread off & on for weeks and still only 3/4 of the way through, phew!
The R-26 replaced a IFI Neo Idsd and I've been very pleased with the upgrade. I really want to try the FMC + LAN input but haven't had any luck so far.
John
It’s a fairly easy set up. Once I had all the parts delivered I had I set up in five minutes.

If you have any questions on the shopping list PM me and I can tell what I bought. More or less what has been recommended here.

Apr 29, 2023 at 1:54 AM Post #5,690 of 8,949
I got the R26 and decided to trade in for A26.

It is in line with what reviewers are saying about it but that's also the main issue for me. It's the treble: it's just as not present or detailed enough. I was flipping through some tracks that I have as MP3 and FLAC and the difference is immediate once you hit play, but not so much on R26. Yes, it sounds more real, holographic, more lifelike--in fact I was surprised at the changes it made to my tunes at first go--but that trebly detailed air that breathes and whisps around was cut back quite a bit. That's nothing against the dac though, it's just my personal preference is a bit more airy. Basically my FLAC vs MP3 renditions went from a night and day difference to a gray and dark gray difference using the R26. It wasn't as obvious, and detail was cut back in favor of a more pleasureable tone.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2023 at 3:07 AM Post #5,692 of 8,949
Haven't been able to setup NAA connection yet. In windows Settings > Network> Ethernet> network connections > Windows Network Diagnostics... I'm getting a (doesn't have a valid IP configuration) message.
Can someone please help with this?
Many thanks for any help, I'm not the most tech savvy.

I think this is my sticking point?

Apr 29, 2023 at 8:58 AM Post #5,695 of 8,949
I got the R26 and decided to trade in for A26.

It is in line with what reviewers are saying about it but that's also the main issue for me. It's the treble: it's just as not present or detailed enough. I was flipping through some tracks that I have as MP3 and FLAC and the difference is immediate once you hit play, but not so much on R26. Yes, it sounds more real, holographic, more lifelike--in fact I was surprised at the changes it made to my tunes at first go--but that trebly detailed air that breathes and whisps around was cut back quite a bit. That's nothing against the dac though, it's just my personal preference is a bit more airy. Basically my FLAC vs MP3 renditions went from a night and day difference to a gray and dark gray difference using the R26. It wasn't as obvious, and detail was cut back in favor of a more pleasureable tone.
Hello,

Did you give the R26 the 200 h to burn in?
The burn in has a decisive influence on the sound of the R26.
You should give at least 50-70 h, the rest will subtly improve.

Also the treble energy decreases a bit towards the end.

Apr 29, 2023 at 9:02 AM Post #5,696 of 8,949
Hello,

Did you give the R26 the 200 h to burn in?
The burn in has a decisive influence on the sound of the R26.
You should give at least 50-70 h, the rest will subtly improve.

Also the treble energy decreases a bit towards the end.
I kinda just used it for one day. Immediate differences right off the bat, and I did figure the treble would get even lower near the finalization of the burn in. Bummer, but I could learn to love it.

I still love the R26, don't get me wrong. I could be satisfied with it in the long run, especially after I A-B what the SR master fuse is doing (and possibly adding a clock soon).

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2023 at 10:02 AM Post #5,697 of 8,949
If you still have the R26 then give it the time.
Since you are still using the SR purpel, I would give it the same amount of time and then you can really judge if it is your width.

You have to give the new things that much time.
In another forum, someone ordered the R26 and was condemned after 24 hours.
And also gave it a somewhat derogatory rating.

Gustard himself wrote to me that the R26 is completely minus after 200 hours due to the electrolytic properties of the capacitors.

I noticed after 50-80 hours that it was almost ready and the rest was really just nuanced.
In other words, up to about 80 hours, the R26 changes again in a slightly different direction.

My Vcaps when I put them in my amp took 400h to get right.
Believe me, it was a rollercoaster ride those first 400 hours.
After 450h they were right there and after several hours of listening with a good 1000h they are at a point where it just flows and nothing is too hard, soft or in other directions.

The fuse also takes its time - you may not believe it, but it really does.
Otherwise, leave the R26 on and let it play, occasionally switching it off for a few hours and on again, and you will notice that it gets better.

Apr 29, 2023 at 10:03 AM Post #5,698 of 8,949
If you still have the R26 then give it the time.
Since you are still using the SR purpel, I would give it the same amount of time and then you can really judge if it is your width.

You have to give the new things that much time.
In another forum, someone ordered the R26 and was condemned after 24 hours.
And also gave it a somewhat derogatory rating.

Gustard himself wrote to me that the R26 is completely minus after 200 hours due to the electrolytic properties of the capacitors.

I noticed after 50-80 hours that it was almost ready and the rest was really just nuanced.
In other words, up to about 80 hours, the R26 changes again in a slightly different direction.

My Vcaps when I put them in my amp took 400h to get right.
Believe me, it was a rollercoaster ride those first 400 hours.
After 450h they were right there and after several hours of listening with a good 1000h they are at a point where it just flows and nothing is too hard, soft or in other directions.

The fuse also takes its time - you may not believe it, but it really does.
Otherwise, leave the R26 on and let it play, occasionally switching it off for a few hours and on again, and you will notice that it gets better.
I take your word for it.

Apr 29, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #5,699 of 8,949
Are you trying to connect R26 direct to your PC/Laptop, without router/switch? If yes, are you using crossover cable?
I'm using a direct connection with a very short cat. 6 Ethernet cable from BJ. It's claimed to be certified and eventually was thinking of using it for the dirty side of the FMC chain after the connection was established.

Apr 29, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #5,700 of 8,949

Users who are viewing this thread

Back