GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Apr 10, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #5,461 of 8,959
today i added the intona usb isolator and the change was really impressive, now its more rounded musical sound, with more 3d imaging. I honestly did not expect this preferable change

Apr 10, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #5,462 of 8,959
Fiber Optical module modification with larger input capacitor (Oscon) & additional Oscon capacitor after vreg.
Next up creation of a USB - 3.5mm cable, so I can power the Fiber Optical module from large powerbank.
Fiber Optical Media Converter.jpg

Apr 10, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #5,463 of 8,959
Fiber Optical module modification with larger input capacitor (Oscon) & additional Oscon capacitor after vreg.
Next up creation of a USB - 3.5mm cable, so I can power the Fiber Optical module from large powerbank.
Fiber Optical Media Converter.jpg
Did you change the values of those caps? If so what is the effect on voltage regulation, in other words, what is the desired outcome? I’d be inclined to keep the values but install better caps like audio notes or even some Nichicons. I’m asking out of genuine curiosity no cynicism intended at all.

Apr 10, 2023 at 1:03 PM Post #5,464 of 8,959
Did you change the values of those caps? If so what is the effect on voltage regulation, in other words, what is the desired outcome?
It is written "larger input capacitor (Oscon)", so yes, it larger and better quality.

Size of the input capacitor is limited by diodes handling maximum current. Regulator limits size of the post-regulator capacitor, recommended value is referenced in the datasheet. To large can even trigger instability.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #5,465 of 8,959
Hi all,
Can you guys let me know which brand of USB and Lan cables will bring the best SQ to the combo Gustard U18 & R26?
Thanks.

There are a lot of brands that people swear: Wireworld (Platinum), Curious, AudioQuest, Kimber, RAL, BlueJeans, Supra, etc. And recently, Muon by Network Acoustics.
But in every forum that I'ved been, these brand(line) keeps popping out w/ great reviews: Tubulus (esp. Concentus line).

If i have the opportunity to redo my cables, it will be them.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #5,466 of 8,959
Just received my active tube stage from Hattor Audio which is below the Khozmo passive preamp (sister company to Hattor). Dipping my toe into Tubes and am loving it so far. The R26 is truly the little engine that could in my setup. Could not be happier.

IMG_7003.jpeg

Apr 11, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #5,467 of 8,959
today i added the intona usb isolator and the change was really impressive, now its more rounded musical sound, with more 3d imaging. I honestly did not expect this preferable change
I've heard very good things about the Intonas. Miska, author of HQPlayer uses em. I've been considering trying one after getting a similarly nice improvement from a Holo Titanis.

Which model did you get?

Apr 11, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #5,468 of 8,959
Hi all,
Can you guys let me know which brand of USB and Lan cables will bring the best SQ to the combo Gustard U18 & R26?
Thanks.
I got a Gothic Semperfi Outsider USB cable based on positive reviews on the U18 thread. Pure Silver with external ground wire so similarities to the Tubulus Agentus but less than half the price. It's excellent.

For i2S I use the oft recommended great value but strong performing Blue Jeans Cable FE. However my U18 > R26 chain is still not as good as R26 LAN in my system, even with the Gothic USB and Holo Titanis USB regenerator. So I suspect I2S is a limiting factor there.

Again over in the U18 thread the Argentus I2S is recommended - as you'd hope, as a big step up given the price. The AfterDark BlackMagic I2S was also recommended at about half the price of the Tubulus, I'd try that I think. But still far from cheap at ~USD200.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #5,469 of 8,959
greetings using roon only and tidal, what are the best settings in roon in the dsp settings, and on gustard

also on the gustard driver asio what r best settings, 24 bit or 32 bit, safe mode or no safe mode

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2023 at 5:50 AM Post #5,470 of 8,959
I got a Gothic Semperfi Outsider USB cable based on positive reviews on the U18 thread. Pure Silver with external ground wire so similarities to the Tubulus Agentus but less than half the price. It's excellent.

For i2S I use the oft recommended great value but strong performing Blue Jeans Cable FE. However my U18 > R26 chain is still not as good as R26 LAN in my system, even with the Gothic USB and Holo Titanis USB regenerator. So I suspect I2S is a limiting factor there.

Again over in the U18 thread the Argentus I2S is recommended - as you'd hope, as a big step up given the price. The AfterDark BlackMagic I2S was also recommended at about half the price of the Tubulus, I'd try that I think. But still far from cheap at ~USD200.
I think that USB cable is more important than I2S in case you've got U18 & R26 in your chain.
Personally, i have used some DIY silver USB and I2s cables. So i do want to try some other ones.
Some people said that Sablon cable is also a good one.

Apr 12, 2023 at 8:37 AM Post #5,471 of 8,959
I've heard very good things about the Intonas. Miska, author of HQPlayer uses em. I've been considering trying one after getting a similarly nice improvement from a Holo Titanis.

Which model did you get?
USB isolators are not trouble-free there is always concern about asynchronous packet delivery. If broken, you get colouration to the sound from the added jitter. Intona has good reputation, but price is approaching a good DDC like DI-20.

It is going to be changed soon as universal isolators/repeaters chips are in full production from Analog Devices ADuM3165 or Texas Instruments ISOUSB211. So far there were chips limited to the USB 1.1 full speed, it means a maximum transfer rate is limited to 96kHz. Prices on Amazon for ADuM3160 dongles are very low, you will see soon many offers for high speed USB 2.0 devices at 30-50% higher price.

With low prices it means that USB reputation is going to change.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2023 at 8:41 AM Post #5,472 of 8,959
Hello All, need one help please. Although my Issue is related to A26 but I'm posting here also for your help. I have got A26 few days back. My Amp will come in next few days. For now I just tried to switch A26 on and check it. There is one strange sound which I'm not sure if it's normal or it's an issue.

When I try to change the input options like from LAN to COAX or USB to OPT, I hear a low click sound from inside the DAC. Nothing is connected to the DAC. Could you please help check your unit if it is same or different. My replacement window of 7 days closes tomorrow.

Apr 12, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #5,473 of 8,959
Hello All, need one help please. Although my Issue is related to A26 but I'm posting here also for your help. I have got A26 few days back. My Amp will come in next few days. For now I just tried to switch A26 on and check it. There is one strange sound which I'm not sure if it's normal or it's an issue.

When I try to change the input options like from LAN to COAX or USB to OPT, I hear a low click sound from inside the DAC. Nothing is connected to the DAC. Could you please help check your unit if it is same or different. My replacement window of 7 days closes tomorrow.
That’s just a relay switch and is totally normal. I like the sound myself, I guess I have nostalgia for anything that sounds a bit analogue 😬

Apr 12, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #5,475 of 8,959
Hey guys quick question for ya.
I asked this elsewhere and wanted to bring it here too.

Shopping between the LHY sw10 and the awaited EtherRegen2. The sw10 has really caught my eye because it could potentially eliminate/upgrade 3-4 current boxes.
1 eliminate first FMC and linear ps.
2 eliminate/upgrade master clock
3 upgrade current Netgear switch

Cool stuff

My current switch is connected on the “dirty” side of my network. All network stuff and cpu connects to it along with the first fiber module that runs to my second fiber module and then to my R26.

My question concerns the SW10 and it’s master clock implementation as well as its placement in the network chain.

1. If the sw10 replaces my switch on the “dirty” side of my network, why would I connect its master clock to my R26 on the “clean” side? Bridging a BNC over my fiber convertors would negate my FMCs, and especially with how prone clocks are, add noise and jitter to my R26.
2. If the switch is connected to the “clean” side of my network, by becoming the last FMC, why would I connect all of my noisy “dirty” network components to its Ethernet ports? I would also then be connecting the R26 to that same switch, again negating the FMCs and most likely adding noise to the DAC.

If the answer is a second switch, why the heck does the sw10 have 17384917 Ethernet ports?!
This doesn’t make any sense.

The EtherRegen has a similar issue but let’s start here first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back