GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Apr 9, 2023 at 8:34 AM Post #5,446 of 8,833
I currently use fiber before my R26 and am considering an OpticalRendu but know that the R26 is optimized for LAN. Is there a somewhat cost effective USB to LAN converter (preferably passive) that you guys recommend or am I over thinking it? I'm also keeping an eye out for a used Muon-pro.
I’m not aware of anything at the standard you’d require. Other than now I recall it perhaps this bad boy https://www.us.soundaware.net/product-page/pa1 or it’s little bro the PA1-NU (Srajan from 6Moons is a Soundaware fan).

Feels a little risky adding in another conversion step if you don’t need to. USB can still be very good on the R26 if your source is top shelf, JCAT XE USB good according to one chap.

EDIT - I don’t think the OpticalRendu would be able to pass a meaningful signal via USB converted to Ethernet to the R26 in a way that would provide a data stream to the R26 streamer in a format it’s expecting - Roon endpoint, HQP NAA etc. Reason being the OR is doing this… acting as the endpoint for Roon etc. Can’t see it working.

A more STP - and guaranteed to work with R26 LAN - optical in/Ethernet out alternative to the OpticalRendu would be the EtherRegen2 or the LHY SW10, both being pure switches so your Roon Core etc could look straight through them to see the R26 as endpoint, which it wouldn’t be able to do if the OR was in the chain, it’d only see the OR.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2023 at 9:07 AM Post #5,447 of 8,833
I’m not aware of anything at the standard you’d require. Other than now I recall it perhaps this bad boy https://www.us.soundaware.net/product-page/pa1 or it’s little bro the PA1-NU (Srajan from 6Moons is a Soundaware fan).

Feels a little risky adding in another conversion step if you don’t need to. USB can still be very good on the R26 if your source is top shelf, JCAT XE USB good according to one chap.

EDIT - I don’t think the OpticalRendu would be able to pass a meaningful signal via USB converted to Ethernet to the R26 in a way that would provide a data stream to the R26 streamer in a format it’s expecting - Roon endpoint, HQP NAA etc. Reason being the OR is doing this… acting as the endpoint for Roon etc. Can’t see it working.

A more STP - and guaranteed to work with R26 LAN - optical in/Ethernet out alternative to the OpticalRendu would be the EtherRegen2 or the LHY SW10, both being pure switches so your Roon Core etc could look straight through them to see the R26 as endpoint, which it wouldn’t be able to do if the OR was in the chain, it’d only see the OR.
Thank you Jake. Anyone here that has personal experience using just fiber with the LHY SW10 or English Electric Switch8 into the R26 that cares to share?
Thank you,
Gary

Apr 9, 2023 at 9:09 AM Post #5,448 of 8,833

Apr 9, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #5,450 of 8,833
Just to clarify Why do you need to convert fiber to Lan to usb?
Are you using 2 fiber media convertors already?
I have:
SGC i5> Trendnet TEG-S51SFP > FinisarFTLX1475D3BCL > System Optique fiber cable from SGC > FinisarFTLX1475D3BCL > Optical Module Deluxe > Lan > R26 > Balanced > Hegel h190
I've read great things about the OpticalRendu but it only has USB out. I'm currently considering the following pieces for my system but would love to hear from those with first hand experience with these individual components:
EtherRegen Gen2
LHY SW10
English Electric Switch8
Network Accoustics Eno/Muon/Muon Pro

Apr 9, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #5,451 of 8,833
I have:
SGC i5> Trendnet TEG-S51SFP > FinisarFTLX1475D3BCL > System Optique fiber cable from SGC > FinisarFTLX1475D3BCL > Optical Module Deluxe > Lan > R26 > Balanced > Hegel h190
I've read great things about the OpticalRendu but it only has USB out. I'm currently considering the following pieces for my system but would love to hear from those with first hand experience with these individual components:
EtherRegen Gen2
LHY SW10
English Electric Switch8
Network Accoustics Eno/Muon/Muon Pro
So I would replace the Trendnet with the OMD and insert the OpticalRendu before the R26 but the OpticalRendu only has USB out and I was thinking the LAN input would be optimal into the R26.

Apr 9, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #5,452 of 8,833
So I would replace the Trendnet with the OMD and insert the OpticalRendu before the R26 but the OpticalRendu only has USB out and I was thinking the LAN input would be optimal into the R26.
Yes no need to go USB
I’m on a similar upgrade path to drop a few components of my existing fiber network and FMCs.
EtherRegen 2 or SW10 >OpticalModule Deluxe>R26

I definelty want a switch with a better clock and fiber input/output.
Which the EtherRegen and SW10 would do

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #5,453 of 8,833
Yes no need to go USB
I’m on a similar upgrade path to drop a few components of my existing fiber network and FMCs.
EtherRegen 2 or SW10 >OpticalModule Deluxe>R26

I definelty want a switch with a better clock and fiber input/output.
Which the EtherRegen and SW10 would do
Thank you. I wasn't sure if the benefits of the OpticalRendu would outweigh the liability of the sub-optimal USB connection.Any thoughts on clocking/jitter with Etherregen vs SW10? I believe the Gen2 Etherregen will facilitate 1Gig.

Apr 9, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #5,454 of 8,833
Without having to ask I found the post with the newest system firmware :)

I have mine upgrade now to R26_CT_m2.1, this is what it shows on the LCD screen:
IMG_1208.jpg

The only reason I'm keeping up to date on these system firmware to see if they ever add a toggle switch for IIS (i2s) for DSD vs PCM.

I'm one of the people that got R26 defaulting to DSD on i2s (and I only listen to PCM).
Anyway, no toggle, still defaults DSD For me. :frowning2:

I know there was some talk earlier in this thread about custom i2s cables to fix this (some guy made his own).
Any company selling custom i2s cables to fix this yet ?

Last note, they made the settings screen way better with this latest system firmware, the menu is now big and easy to read.

Apr 9, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #5,455 of 8,833
Thank you. I wasn't sure if the benefits of the OpticalRendu would outweigh the liability of the sub-optimal USB connection.Any thoughts on clocking/jitter with Etherregen vs SW10? I believe the Gen2 Etherregen will facilitate 1Gig.
Many of us here are just waiting for more info on the etherRegen2. I would’ve pulled the trigger on the LHY sw10 already if it didn’t have a million Ethernet ports lol.
Specs on it are great I just personally hate buying stuff that will go unused.

I’m hoping the layout/ orientation is a bit different on the EtherRegen2

Apr 9, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #5,456 of 8,833
Your guess is good as mine alas, given the ER2 isn't yet released and the SW10 is so new there's no reviews* yet. On paper the SW10's pros are its build quality, clock and power stage with dual toroidal transformers whilst the ER2's pros are cutting edge bespoke isolation and ultra low noise/jitter circuitry (a massive simplification sorry Uptone).

*FWIW all I can find in the whole internet is three feedback letters from purchasers on Beatechnik's blog page. And yes they're all glowing ones incl two from guys with very high end systems.

https://www.beatechnik.com/news

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #5,457 of 8,833
i really wish someone will do a video about suggested upgrades as to some of us this is difficult to follow, a video would be nice showing what to get and how to connect things

Apr 9, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #5,458 of 8,833
It makes no sense to do all these conversions, even if it was possible.
The output of the OpticalRendu is USB, so either you connect it directly to the USB port of the R26 or to a DDC that will connect to the i2s port of the R26.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2023 at 6:40 AM Post #5,459 of 8,833
Credit to the peeps here with their advice on the fuses to upgrade coupled with the SR purple fuse promo, I went ahead with the purchase and it is currently already installed in my R26 within a week. And i couldnt be more pleased with the audio enhancements this tiny pill-like stuff brings to my system. Everything just went up a few notches and it simply sounds so engaging and musical!

Now im beating myself up and ponder why did I only get 1 fuse when i should have gotten 3 !!

For those who are still on the fence, do yourself a favour and just go get 1 and try. You will thank yourself later :beyersmile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back