GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Mar 17, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #5,116 of 8,832
Okay,
Thank you for the info.
I'll keep my eyes open for a Su 6.
I didn't think the Su 6 was actually as advanced as the Su 2, despite the fashion ratings.

When the Singxer came into question, the Su 6 was still new.
And many said that the Su2 was still a bit better than the Su6 in terms of sound.

Because of the fuse, I have almost 50 hours on it.
The 3.15 delivers a bit more bass and sweeter mids and a more tender low end.
Today I could perceive it well without having changed anything in the chain.
The fuse is from the same manufacturer.
The extra price was probably not worth it, only if you want to swap would I go to Gustard's recommendations and buy a 3,15.
I'm running an SR Purple 3.15 and it's fantastic.

Mar 17, 2023 at 9:29 PM Post #5,117 of 8,832
I have the SR Purple in the R26 and in my WA2 (w/421A tubes). This is very good! Trying not to burn my dinner again.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2023 at 4:26 PM Post #5,121 of 8,832
Hello everyone!

I recently bought a Gustard R26 and I noticed two things: the first one is the humming noise coming from the toroidal transformer that lots of R26 owners have noticed (and that hopefully will go away when an Audiolab DC Block will arrive to me the next week); the second one, and way more bothersome to me, is that it has a slight but noticeable coil whine coming from the inside of the DAC when I set its sample rate to multiples of 48 KHz. When I set the sample rate to multiples of 44100 Hz, no coil whine is present. I recorded some samples with my microphone near the DAC, and by analyzing them with Spek I got confirmation that a whine at 6 KHz and 12 KHz is indeed present when the sample rate of the DAC is set to multiples of 48000 Hz.

So far I verified through Spek and my ears that:
- At 48000 Hz and 384000 Hz the DAC whines at 12 KHz, very subtle and almost not noticeable unless my ears are very close to the DAC;
- At 96000 Hz the DAC whines at 6 KHz and a little bit at 12 KHz, more noticeable than 48 KHz and 384 KHz but still subtle;
- At 192000 Hz the DAC whines very loud at 6 KHz and slightly at 12 KHz. In this case the whine is very noticeable and I can hear it even at a normal PC usage distance;
- At 44100 Hz and multiples, no coil whine is present at all.

I want to ask you all if this behaviour is normal or not, and also want to ask other R26 owners if their unit does the same. I am undecided if I should ask for a replacement, hoping that it will not have this issue, or simply send back the unit, get a refund and buy another DAC, but before making a decision I would like to know your opinion about this matter.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #5,122 of 8,832
As the A26 dac is on my future purchase list, I'm curious if anyone has noticed any of these sounds on that dac? I'll ask on the A26 forum but since I was already here I thought I would throw it out there

Mar 18, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #5,124 of 8,832
Hello everyone!

I recently bought a Gustard R26 and I noticed two things: the first one is the humming noise coming from the toroidal transformer that lots of R26 owners have noticed (and that hopefully will go away when an Audiolab DC Filter will arrive to me the next week); the second one, and way more bothersome to me, is that it has a slight but noticeable coil whine coming from the inside of the DAC when I set its sample rate to multiples of 48 KHz. When I set the sample rate to multiples of 44100 Hz, no coil whine is present. I recorded some samples with my microphone near the DAC, and by analyzing them with Spek I got confirmation that a whine at 6 KHz and 12 KHz is indeed present when the sample rate of the DAC is set to multiples of 48000 Hz.

- At 48000 Hz and 384000 Hz the DAC whines at 12 KHz, very subtle and almost not noticeable unless my ears are very close to the DAC;
- At 96000 Hz the DAC whines at 6 KHz and a little bit at 12 KHz, more noticeable than 48 KHz and 384 KHz but still subtle;
- At 192000 Hz the DAC whines very loud at 6 KHz and slightly at 12 KHz. In this case the whine is very noticeable and I can hear it even at a normal PC usage distance;

I want to ask you all if this behaviour is normal or not, and also want to ask other R26 owners if their unit does the same. I am undecided if I should ask for a replacement, hoping that it will not have this issue, or simply send back the unit, get a refund and buy another DAC, but before making a decision I would like to know your opinion about this matter.
That isn't normal. You need change unit.

Mar 18, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #5,125 of 8,832
Hello everyone!

I recently bought a Gustard R26 and I noticed two things: the first one is the humming noise coming from the toroidal transformer that lots of R26 owners have noticed (and that hopefully will go away when an Audiolab DC Filter will arrive to me the next week); the second one, and way more bothersome to me, is that it has a slight but noticeable coil whine coming from the inside of the DAC when I set its sample rate to multiples of 48 KHz. When I set the sample rate to multiples of 44100 Hz, no coil whine is present. I recorded some samples with my microphone near the DAC, and by analyzing them with Spek I got confirmation that a whine at 6 KHz and 12 KHz is indeed present when the sample rate of the DAC is set to multiples of 48000 Hz.

I don’t recall anyone here in all 342 pages having this problem my man.
I would exchange it like Forgisound said.

Mar 19, 2023 at 3:34 AM Post #5,126 of 8,832
Hello everyone!

It is a serious matter, let Us know when DC filter arrives. A whine may be related. Those who reported a humming noise should check with Spek as well.

To early to recommend the alternative, there is one if you don't use streaming feature.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2023 at 3:37 AM Post #5,127 of 8,832
That isn't normal. You need change unit.
If you have DC components in your current, you will need a DC block. But I don't know how it affects the sound.

Mar 19, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #5,128 of 8,832
Hello,

The fuse now has a good 75 hours on it and I'm starting to rate it as final what comes out of it.
The only thing missing would be an A/B test after the first 100 hours and more.

After 75 hours with the 3.15, I would say that the fuse value of the R26 also gives more body in the fundamental.
It's all a bit over the subtle range that you notice.
Besides the bass and better midrange, it has more body and meat behind it.
The 3.15 fuse definitely does the R26 good and you can recommend it.
I would definitely go straight to 3.15 a/T and not buy a better 2.5a/T should it become an issue.

A/B test to come.

Mar 19, 2023 at 1:03 PM Post #5,129 of 8,832
Hello,

The fuse now has a good 75 hours on it and I'm starting to rate it as final what comes out of it.
The only thing missing would be an A/B test after the first 100 hours and more.

After 75 hours with the 3.15, I would say that the fuse value of the R26 also gives more body in the fundamental.
It's all a bit over the subtle range that you notice.
Besides the bass and better midrange, it has more body and meat behind it.
The 3.15 fuse definitely does the R26 good and you can recommend it.
I would definitely go straight to 3.15 a/T and not buy a better 2.5a/T should it become an issue.

A/B test to come.
Then it is clear how much better it would be if there were no fuse. Or that it has an automatic one, with a larger conductor cross-section.

Mar 20, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #5,130 of 8,832
Thank you very much for your replies and suggestions guys. I'm still currently waiting for the Audiolab DC Block to arrive (maybe tomorrow). I'll update you if it will solve at least the humming noise coming from the power supply. I also created a thread on Audio Science Review explaining the coil whine matter with graphs and asking for suggestions, but the only reply that I got was a sarcastic one. If you want to check the graphs and even hear the recordings for yourself, here's the link to my thread:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...e-with-sample-rates-multiple-of-48-khz.43052/

I also ordered a Gustard A26 because I want to A/B its sound with R26's one. Supposedly, A26 does not have any humming noise (at least that's what I know by reading forums and reviews of it), and I really hope it also does not have this bothersome coil whine that my R26 has.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back