GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Dec 11, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #2,461 of 8,959
I ordered this DAC on Black Friday, received it on Monday and has been in use for the last 3 days via USB. It is replacing a Peachtree DAC-ITx. In its default settings (NOS Off & PCM filter mid) instrument separation is much better, some details also more present( and some even I did not know where there) cymbals sound more realistic, however base and drums are a bit boomy. All settings same, but in NOS mode ON, not as detailed as NOS off, cymbals same, bass and drums sound a lot like tubes ( reminds me a system I heard at CAF in 2021 with Conrad Johnson tube amps). Based on my initial experience it seems that NOS off is good for rock and pop as the base and drums are not that loose, NOS sounds good for Jazz. I tested this DAC with Santana at Montreaux concert blu ray. My speakers are Legacy Focus 20/20 and my amp is a Rotel RA-713, DAC connected to a PC.

Dec 11, 2022 at 7:32 PM Post #2,462 of 8,959
That is an excellent and needed reply. I was begining to think everyone who buys this dac needs to add $1000-$2000 for upgrade to get decent sound. It is actually offputting to the average audiophile who might consider this dac. Most potential buyers do not want to buy a $1400-$1600 dac that is really $3000 by the time it is usable. Thanks for making this point a little more clear. You can actually buy this $1600 dac and enjoy it without all the additional expense. You can add a DDC and external clock to many dacs if that is your desire but I really think that should be in a seperate thread.
Thank you!

Dec 12, 2022 at 1:53 AM Post #2,465 of 8,959
Is there a way to run the DAC like a sound card when using LAN? i.e., to use it for videos, games, etc and not just music players.
You should be able to select the gustarender v1.3 (or 1.4) device from the device outputs (my Mac for example allows this in the speaker settings) so you can use LAN or alternatively BT by selecting BT on the DAC and pairing the devices.

Dec 12, 2022 at 2:02 AM Post #2,466 of 8,959
On Windows
- Try as Bluetooth device (as mentioned)
- Try UPnP, have tried it but could not in my DAC. Use 'Cast to Device' especially using Windows Media Player (Zune). In YT there are tutorials how to enable UPnP/DLNA streaming in Windows.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2022 at 2:33 AM Post #2,467 of 8,959
I was begining to think everyone who buys this dac needs to add $1000-$2000 for upgrade to get decent sound
you don't have to buy anything extra. those who did not even have time to listen to the sound of this DAC and have already bought a ton of additional gadgets for it - these are people who like the process, not music

Dec 12, 2022 at 2:43 AM Post #2,468 of 8,959
Dec 12, 2022 at 5:02 AM Post #2,469 of 8,959
Just humble request for convenience sake.

Can somebody please PM me by:
1. Giving a link for the latest driver and firmware.
2. Steps for upgrading FW/drivers.
3. Other How To's.
4. Post having DDC, Master Clock, I2S, LAN (etc) comparisons..
5. Tweaks, Cables, (etc) that worked for you.

So that I could place it in the first page so that others could have a quick referral. Instead repetively asking/searching for something.

Thank you very much in advance.
This would be really nice. I see 165 pages on this thread I don’t know where to start reading.

Dec 12, 2022 at 6:11 AM Post #2,470 of 8,959
Ha - all good. My system always sounds a million dollars over Friday night beers... 🍻🔊:L3000:
I eventually got around to trying this SPL test this evening - as Friday night got a little out of hand.

I used this white noise track by Audio Check track, in a dead quiet house in a dead quiet suburb after 11pm, so nil background noise, turned the volume up so it was exactly 70db on the Audioshack SPL meter (C-weighted, slow). And toggled the R26 external clock setting on and off multiple times. Edit - R26 LAN input. No observable correlated change whatsoever in the measured level, just the same tiny amount of slow +/- wavering. No perceived change in volume or pink noise sound either, seemed identical to me. I got the same results, no measured or perceived variation in volume/sound, with and Audio Check 200hz left and right in phase track.

Right, that'll be the last test tones I listen to for a while, until I can be bothered calibrating my subs that is... REW sweeps anyone? 😅

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2022 at 6:24 AM Post #2,471 of 8,959
I used this ............ on the Audioshack SPL meter (C-weighted, slow).

Its great to do a test. Using white and pink noise was smart.

For the test to be meaningful, the sound level meter you use needs to be confirmed to be both reliable and sensitive to +/- 0.5dB. Do you have a way of calibrating and verifying your Audioshack is accurate?

Dec 12, 2022 at 8:30 AM Post #2,472 of 8,959
Spegni R26 con il pulsante sul retro, connettiti al computer, il computer può rilevare ora l'unità disco? Quando non uso un altro cavo, ho un problema con il cavo Samsung USB-C che non funzionava e devo usarne un altro. Ho seguito le istruzioni... Penso di aver trovato una soluzione per la riproduzione di musica che balbetta con l'input LAN... Ricontrollerò oggi e quando funzionerà di nuovo pubblicherò domani...
News???

Dec 12, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #2,474 of 8,959
Problem with upgrade. Roon can't find DAC after upgrade.
Is that on picture OK?

OK, I did it. Now I have Gustarender 1v4. The crackle at the beginning of a DSD album is gone. 👍

There is still an upgrade for the DAC. Does it change functionality?

Attachments

• IMG_20221212_165618.jpg
    IMG_20221212_165618.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 12, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #2,475 of 8,959
Tried removing plug on DAC and reattach again?
Restarting Windows?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back