GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Dec 3, 2022 at 6:00 PM Post #2,266 of 8,869
Dec 3, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #2,268 of 8,869
Dec 3, 2022 at 6:58 PM Post #2,269 of 8,869
Interesting comparison

Summary was:
  • All DACs are good
  • PCM
    • R26 was the softer of the three DACs in PCM node (with NOS on or off)
    • R26 came out on top with certain speakers (e.g. the JBL) and was recommended for metal dome tweeters
    • R26 had different soundstage responses with NOS on or off (reviewer preferred it on)
  • DSD
    • All DACs were good - reviewer couldn't seperate the DACs in DSD mode
  • Ranking
    • Pontus, Ladder, R26 with the Pioneer TAD S-1EX Speakers
    • R26, Ladder, Pontus with the JBL l100 classic
  • Interesting note on volume
    • Reviewer states the R26 volume is louder out of box, so volume matching is key. Suspects volume may be driving rave reviews, particularly in neutral systems, when you add in the more forward presentation
  • He also doesn't give a lot of information as to how big these differences are - but he alludes early in the video to some of the differences being on the smaller end of town.

Overall - it's a great DAC and they all come pretty close with different flavours. I also think it backs up the fact that gustard are differentiating on price / performance more than anything else (great dac with good features at an amazing price), though the Ladder is priced v well also (with less features).

For me - I think the volume matching commentary is super interesting (i found this exact same thing when i set up my tests with other DACs). i also am finding that the DSD presentation is excellent, and am currently favouring that slightly over PCM when combined with Roon oversampling (though I may change on this), and when I do revert back to NOS, it's also for the softer / more relaxed sound that goes so well in my system.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2022 at 7:53 PM Post #2,270 of 8,869
I appreciate people making reviews, but man are his descriptions nebulous. I don't blame him, probably more English as second language thing.

Also, saying soft is, what does that even mean??

There's three categories within that:
Tonality (warm / neutral / bright)
Tonal density (thin / even / thick)
Timbre (Natural / Unnatural) (also subsets of this [grainy / smooth / clear])

It also irks be that every YouTuber is using some random SS amp or low tier tube amp.
How about using a Dartzeel or Gryphon if you don't want to bottleneck the source.

I prefer my 8600S with new production western electric 300B (only tubes that arguable beats these is Elrog 300b, and that's more preference)
Vcap CUTF coupling capacitors (best coupling caps you can get without going IST (interstage transformers).
5 star 12au7 (5814a) and 12ax7 (5751) took me weeks to find what I wanted, black plates, copper rods, square getters.
I also bypassed the TKD pot for a ELMA 47 AVC.

I run the digital front end with an ALLO USB signature with Shanti LPS (clean USB output) -> DI20-HE DDC -> AES -> R26

Sometimes I feel like these guys cycle gear so fast, they don't even know what hifi is.
Try perfecting one system first.

I run the R26 on Alnico Hemp Cone drivers (Omega XRS) and it's sublime.
I've also run it with Morel CAT 308 tweeters.

Saying R26 is just good for metal dome tweeters is laughable. But then again, my crew regularly laugh at youtube reviews all day.
Not trying to bash the guy, but the reviews mean so little with these guys that cycle gear every 2 seconds.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2022 at 8:10 PM Post #2,271 of 8,869
I appreciate people making reviews, but man are his descriptions nebulous. I don't blame him, probably more English as second language thing.

Also, saying soft is, what does that even mean??

There's three categories within that:
Tonality (warm / neutral / bright)
Tonal density (thin / even / thick)
Timbre (Natural / Unnatural) (also subsets of this [grainy / smooth / clear])

It also irks be that every YouTuber is using some random SS amp or low tier tube amp.
How about using a Dartzeel or Gryphon if you don't want to bottleneck the source.

I prefer my 8600S with new production western electric 300B (only tubes that arguable beats these is Elrog 300b, and that's more preference)
Vcap CUTF coupling capacitors (best coupling caps you can get without going IST (interstage transformers).
5 star 12au7 (5814a) and 12ax7 (5751) took me weeks to find what I wanted, black plates, copper rods, square getters.
I also bypassed the TKD pot for a ELMA 47 AVC.

I run the digital front end with an ALLO USB signature with Shanti LPS (clean USB output) -> DI20-HE DDC -> AES -> R26

Sometimes I feel like this guys cycle gear so fast, they don't even know what hifi is.
Try perfecting one system first.

I run the R26 on Alnico Hemp Cone drivers (Omega XRS) and it's sublime.
I've also run then with Morel CAT 308 tweeters.

Saying R26 is just good for metal dome tweeters is laughable. But then again, my crew regularly laugh at youtube reviews all day.
Not trying to bash the guy, but the reviews mean so little with these guys that cycle gear every 2 seconds.
i don't know him, but I have watched a few of his reviews - he seems pretty honest with his reviews. I get your language point, i have watched a few of his vids and you can triangulate his use of language to your perceptions if you have listened to the same DACs. However, this is true for all reviewers by the way. Nobody uses the exact same definitions / language styles when referring to audio perceptions - it's just exacerbated here.

i think his comment on metal dome tweeter is that they can sound sometimes more bright, and the softer treble performance that he found with the R26 may suit that. This makes sense to me as the I found the Gustard had a more rolled off treble than the DACs i tested with (which suited my system well).

I also think the fact that he did a 3 way DAC shoot out on the same system with two different speaker sets should mean the differences between the DACs will largely be the same on most systems. I don't think we need to worry too much about the source chain. This is a comparative review (he did an outright one before).

In either case - a lot of us have / will blind purchase. I think it's useful to have these reviews here on this thread in one place, so people can get a flavour for the differing views.

I love my gustard. However, if I was talking to my past self a month ago, knowing what I know now, I would tell him that the Gustard is a fantastic machine with great features (particularly LAN), probably a little over hyped, plays well above it's price point, with great performance all round with a slightly rolled off top end, and great bass. it's probably not going to outperform all the other DACs in the 2-4k AUD range but the differences will be v small, and don't worry about it.

I think this review marries with my experience so far.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #2,272 of 8,869
I found the Gustard had a more rolled off treble than the DACs i tested with (which suited my system well).

-----

I think this review marries with my experience so far.

Treble on R26 isn't rolled. And I doubt you think it is either, you're just using the incorrect word.
Whan a frequency is "rolled" it means it's rolling off into non-existence, literally cannot be heard.

Typically this is a phrase very commonly used for bass, because many speakers "roll" off at 60/50/40/30hz etc....

R26 has full treble extension to 20khz.

Now, R26 does lack a leading edge to the treble, or lacks sharp treble.
It actually does have treble sparkle, (X26 did not) but the treble is neutral to maybe a touch on the warmer side.

R26 also has good treble air (X26 does not), this is something that is within the broad category of stage (stage width, depth, spatial placement, separation between elements, a sense of things having space).

A great juxtopistion is my Antelope Zodiac. It also has air, width, depth, great separation, but the treble's tonal density is thin, and it has a sharp leading edge.
(Zodiac is a technical monster, I just don't like it's tonality unless very carefully synergized).

To cap this off with some tube talk, because I love tubes :D

A great example of real treble roll is 300B tubes, by design they inherently have just a touch of it (some brands more than others).
Pentodes generally do not have treble roll, they really get all the way up there.

And this is why Elrog 300B is very appealing to some people, it's not actually a 300B tube. It's a tube made to run at exactly 300B specifications, but the internal structure is changed to be more akin to a 2A3. Thus the Elrog 300B extends all the way up.

As always ymmv, just ime/imo

EDIT:
Almost forgot, I wouldn't say his review directly corresponds to what I think of R26, but again this is mostly because his audio vocabulary is trash.
You can't extrapolate any nuance from his review with his nebulous statements.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #2,273 of 8,869
Treble on R26 isn't rolled. And I doubt you think it is either, you're just using the incorrect word.
Whan a frequency is "rolled" it means it's rolling off into non-existence, literally cannot be heard.

Typically this is a phrase very commonly used for bass, because many speakers "roll" off at 60/50/40/30hz etc....

It actually does have treble sparkle, (X26 did not) but the treble is neutral to maybe a touch on the warmer side.

R26 also has good treble air (X26 does not), this is something that is within the broad category of stage (stage width, depth, spatial placement, separation between elements, a sense of things having space).

A great juxtopistion is my Antelope Zodiac. It also has air, width, depth, great separation, but the treble's tonal density is thin, and it has a sharp leading edge.
(Zodiac is a technical monster, I just don't like it's tonality unless very carefully synergized).

A great example of real treble roll is 300B tubes, by design they inherently have just a touch of it (some brands more than others).
Pentodes generally do not have treble roll, they really get all the way up there.

And this is why Elrog 300B is very appealing to some people, it's not actually a 300B tube. It's a tube made to run at exactly 300B specifications, but the internal structure is changed to be more akin to a 2A3. Thus the Elrog 300B extends all the way up.

EDIT:
Almost forgot, I wouldn't say his review directly corresponds to what I think of R26, but again this is mostly because his audio vocabulary is trash.
Yep - I think your description of treble performance is more on the money than mine was. I agree with you.

I find the Gustard less fatiguing than other DACs was more my point.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2022 at 8:45 PM Post #2,274 of 8,869
Interesting comparison

Summary was:
  • All DACs are good
  • PCM
    • R26 was the softer of the three DACs in PCM node (with NOS on or off)
    • R26 came out on top with certain speakers (e.g. the JBL) and was recommended for metal dome tweeters
    • R26 had different soundstage responses with NOS on or off (reviewer preferred it on)
  • DSD
    • All DACs were good - reviewer couldn't seperate the DACs in DSD mode
  • Ranking
    • Pontus, Ladder, R26 with the Pioneer TAD S-1EX Speakers
    • R26, Ladder, Pontus with the JBL l100 classic
  • Interesting note on volume
    • Reviewer states the R26 volume is louder out of box, so volume matching is key. Suspects volume may be driving rave reviews, particularly in neutral systems, when you add in the more forward presentation
  • He also doesn't give a lot of information as to how big these differences are - but he alludes early in the video to some of the differences being on the smaller end of town.

Overall - it's a great DAC and they all come pretty close with different flavours. I also think it backs up the fact that gustard are differentiating on price / performance more than anything else (great dac with good features at an amazing price), though the Ladder is priced v well also (with less features).

For me - I think the volume matching commentary is super interesting (i found this exact same thing when i set up my tests with other DACs). i also am finding that the DSD presentation is excellent, and am currently favouring that slightly over PCM when combined with Roon oversampling (though I may change on this), and when I do revert back to NOS, it's also for the softer / more relaxed sound that goes so well in my system.

Here he said he forgot to mention the Pontus 2 was the quietest of all. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Weird review.
0C47A5B3-A6DD-41F9-954B-A24053288857.png

Dec 3, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #2,275 of 8,869
Odezra said: "I also am finding that the DSD presentation is excellent, and am currently favouring that slightly over PCM"

I listen to a fair amount of both DSD and PCM and agree that DSD on the R26 is divine.
So is PCM, though.
:)

Also to add to the conversation, the speaker config I am currently using is a Topping Pre90 ➔ Audiophonics MPA-S250NC [Hypex NCore] ➔ Paradigm 9se MkII. They use soft dome tweeters. I think they pair beautifully with the R26.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2022 at 11:20 PM Post #2,276 of 8,869
In terms of external clocking, would this be a great option?

For external clocking options, a DDC with R26 set to NOS looks to use the external clocks. This allows dedicated 44.1/48kHz family native high quality native clocks to bypass the internal clock synthesizer.

This AF200 DDC does the max input rate for the R26:
1670127168356.png

with an option for excellent clocks: Accusilicon Crystal Oscillator AS318-B
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/comp...584-ultra-low-jitter-clock-45mhz-p-14033.html

1670125898797.png

Configurable I2S:
1670126228395.png

1670126841980.png

1670126666123.png

Affordable? $215USD with free shipping and "Returns Accepted"
1670127402623.png

and run it off a 5V battery or LPS
1670126484388.png

Anyone tired one?
Is the configuration app OK to use?
Does the I2S work seamlessly with the Gustard I2S protocol?

Attachments

• 1670126333081.png
    1670126333081.png
    398.8 KB · Views: 0
Dec 3, 2022 at 11:59 PM Post #2,277 of 8,869

EDIT:
wow Comzee I see this ain't your first rodeo, I bet your system sounds glorious. I found myself nodding in agreement with your critique. I use RAAL 70/20s in my speakers, high end xover parts including Vcap ODAMs, Duelund resistors, etc, and an EL34/KT88 PP tube amp that I've modded quite a bit, and the combo with the R26 is just gorgeous. Some might say the RAALs have a "softer" sound if they're used to more aggressive tweeters, but to me they sound very natural and resolving as hell, and one thing that has never even crossed my mind is that the R26 sounded lacking in treble extension! In fact, the separation and imaging are better than I could have imagined.
Could be Tharbamar is more accustomed to a certain SS sound with brighter tweeters, more hifi-ish I don't know, but I've never thought his reviews were very skillful, he lacks the 'bigger picture' perspective of more seasoned reviewers and really has narrow evaluation skills. The Youtube biz seems to be treating him well though, his gear has really climbed the ladder in the last year or so!
I love the air and extension the R26 gives, I'm still bobbing up and down at how naturally and effortlessly (key word here for me) this DAC presents treble detail, not to mention bass, like a whisper of a buzz from a bass string. So much information, but nothing is crowded. I really lucked out with how well the R26 synergizes with my system, no doubt about it. I do sometimes miss just a bit of the density of my old BF2, but it's not a big deal at all, and the two certainly aren't in quite the same league, but the BF2 sure did have some punch.

Dec 4, 2022 at 12:32 AM Post #2,278 of 8,869
wow Comzee I see this ain't your first rodeo, I bet your system sounds glorious. I found myself nodding in agreement with your critique. I use RAAL 70/20s in my speakers, high end xover parts including Vcap ODAMs, Duelund resistors, etc, and an EL34/KT88 PP tube amp that I've modded quite a bit, and the combo with the R26 is just gorgeous. Some might say the RAALs have a "softer" sound if they're used to more aggressive tweeters, but to me they sound very natural and resolving as hell, and one thing that has never even crossed my mind is that the R26 sounded lacking in treble extension! In fact, the separation and imaging are better than I could have imagined.
Could be Tharbamar is more accustomed to a certain SS sound with brighter tweeters, more hifi-ish I don't know, but I've never thought his reviews were very skillful, he lacks the 'bigger picture' perspective of more seasoned reviewers and really has narrow evaluation skills. The Youtube biz seems to be treating him well though, his gear has really climbed the ladder in the last year or so!
I love the air and extension the R26 gives, I'm still bobbing up and down at how naturally and effortlessly (key word here for me) this DAC presents treble detail, not to mention bass, like a whisper of a buzz from a bass string. So much information, but nothing is crowded. I really lucked out with how well the R26 synergizes with my system, no doubt about it. I do sometimes miss just a bit of the density of my old BF2, but it's not a big deal at all, and the two certainly aren't in quite the same league, but the BF2 sure did have some punch.
I noticed that Tharbamar uses the USB input of the R26 from his Sony media player. In my experience the sound from the USB input is indeed quite a bit softer than what it is from the Coax input.
I use the LAN input with an external clock and that gives me the most realistic/lifelike experience with none of the softness experienced by the reviewer.
That can be an explanation.

Dec 4, 2022 at 2:58 AM Post #2,279 of 8,869
The links Odezra posted was the older Version 1.21 (Gustarender Firmware (Streaming))
Version 1.3 can be downloded here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/oj11whcknbz83uy/R26_Gustarender_1v3_upgrade.zip/file
The Firmware 15.11.2022 is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/x6ls7ozjg4m7dmx/Gustard_R26_CT_221115_via_type-C.zip/file
Can anyone report if this latest (15.11.2022) update has cured the stuttering problem some of us experience on Hi Res downloads?

Dec 4, 2022 at 3:43 AM Post #2,280 of 8,869

Users who are viewing this thread

Back