GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Nov 5, 2022 at 7:55 AM Post #1,142 of 8,833
Well the trannies look specifically rated for 230v/50Hz so that's extra annoying. Do you want any hints about how to problem solve?
Unfortunately I don't, I have measured the mains frequency and it is 49Hz.
I have tried directly plugged into the mains socket and in my Lab12 Gordian power conditioner and it is the same.
The hum is not that audible so I pretend that it is not there!
Anyway this is a review sample that is going to be returned but as an owner I would certainly have mailed my retailer to ask for support.

Nov 5, 2022 at 9:24 AM Post #1,145 of 8,833
Hmm I noticed a faint buzz emanating from my speakers though you have to be right up beside them though it’s not intrusive at all I wonder checking interconnects switch them out for another pair tracing problems like bad grounds ground loops and what have you isn’t easy at times .

Nov 5, 2022 at 9:35 AM Post #1,146 of 8,833
I have received mine yesterday. First listening, it's pretty cool. Now it's on burning mode... It will be on all the time... Like R2R dac...

Nov 5, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #1,147 of 8,833
Please let me know how to see your review when its ready. Thanks :)
Thank you for your trust but this is scheduled for hxosplus printed edition at Greek.
Then I will arrange to be uploaded in our website so someone can use Google translate but it is going to some time.

Nov 5, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #1,148 of 8,833
It's interesting that Youtube guy solved his problem with the groundhog, because according to iFi, the Groundhog is supposed to be for improperly grounded gear, and they specifically prescribe it if when you touch the case (becoming the ground meat :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:), the hum stops. That's not what's happening with mine. I'm going to open it up and see if it's more about the transformer casings, I remember from being in there that they are "floating" a bit from the bottom of the board, with the wires squeezed out of the resulting space. If I put my finger on the casings and the hum stops, that would answer one question anyway. Really hate to have to go buy another piece of gear just because the fine folks at Gustard let these go knowing there was an issue.

Nov 5, 2022 at 10:18 AM Post #1,150 of 8,833
Just a guess, as I don't have the R26 but I had other electronics in the past having the same buzz: DC voltage in the mains, not grounding. The IfI DC blocker worked for me in the past, although I ended up with a Puritan Audio PSM, more practical as the DC is blocked on every outlet

Nov 5, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #1,151 of 8,833
I’m going to guess this thread is one of the most viewed resources for people looking into this DAC. I’m also guessing Gustard doesn’t want any bad press, and maybe that will inspire them to look into the issue. Hope is cheap🙃….

What I mean is, I’m going to mention this in my email today.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #1,152 of 8,833
Just a guess, as I don't have the R26 but I had other electronics in the past having the same buzz: DC voltage in the mains, not grounding. The IfI DC blocker worked for me in the past, although I ended up with a Puritan Audio PSM, more practical as the DC is blocked on every outlet
Not in my case.
IMG_20221105_162327.jpg

Nov 5, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #1,154 of 8,833
I'm going to open it up and see if it's more about the transformer casings,

Thats the likely issue. Those cylindrical trannie covers look good for EMI containment but great for resonance. Bit like a bell:

1667658544460.png

You may find the hum volume is cut by damping the trannie cover. Stay safe.

Nov 5, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #1,155 of 8,833
I just got my R26 a few days ago and I notice when you put it in standby mode it has a high pitch hiss/hum noise coming out the front. I saw one other person note this as well. Can anybody else confirm this on their unit? I need to know if I should return my unit? Thanks for the input.
I am now experiencing this issue. Not hum noise but a high pitch noise apparently coming from the front panel. The unit it´s absolutely silent powered on and when I put the unit on stand by mode coming from powered on BUT if I completely switch off the unit (powering off the unit with the switch in the back panel) and I put the unit back in stand by mode with the back panel switch then there is a slight high pitch noise coming from the front panel (not hum). If I power on the unit with the front panel button the noise completely dissapears and if I back the unit to stand by mode with the front panel button the unit remains completely silent in stand by mode. At the end the unit ONLY has the high pitch noise when going in stand by mode BUT ONLY when coming from completely switched off mode.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back