GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Oct 12, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #646 of 8,912
To find out try HQ OS to 24bit 1152kHz over LAN R26 input and see if music comes out. While the official spec is LAN : PCM up to 32bit 768kHz, you might find it actually runs at 24bit 1152kHz. The bit rates are similar.

Any of those rates spit out slowmo.

Oct 13, 2022 at 4:04 AM Post #647 of 8,912
Hello guys, I have a few questions and I ask your help.
I m thinking to upgrade my dac (Gustard x16) with the R26...
I m listen mostly mqa via Tidal in headphones setup.
My current setup is
Tidal app> Ifi zen stream LAN connected> to gustard x16 > to ifi pro ican signature.

The question is, if I bought the R26 it's possible to connecting directly The R26 via LAN and control my Tidal library from my tablet (Samsung A7) if I use the UAPP or I need Roon... I don't have pc.
So the zen stream is not necessary to the chain.
Just done the upgrade to v1.3 and has not made a scrap of difference to the stuttering and hesitations on higher res streaming files. At this point I give up, unless someone comes up with a working fix, and I'll continue to use the excellent iFi Zen as streamer. This is no reflection on the R26 as a DAC - in this function it remains superb!

Oct 13, 2022 at 4:18 AM Post #648 of 8,912
Just done the upgrade to v1.3 and has not made a scrap of difference to the stuttering and hesitations on higher res streaming files. At this point I give up, unless someone comes up with a working fix, and I'll continue to use the excellent iFi Zen as streamer. This is no reflection on the R26 as a DAC - in this function it remains superb!
Hi Fluty, I'm just curious what file are you trying to play trough R26? (format, bitrate, etc). Is this through LAN, USB, I2S?

Oct 13, 2022 at 5:00 AM Post #649 of 8,912
Hello Fluty, Where did you find this v1.3 ? If I go to Gustard's web site they link to a v1.21: https://www.mediafire.com/file/2l4getj3pvzmj0l/R26_Gustarender_1.21_upgrade.zip/file

Oct 13, 2022 at 5:09 AM Post #650 of 8,912
Sandhu from Soundnews pits it against Denafrips Terminator Plus which is saying a lot.

A few pages back I have read someone with extensive ddc experience made comparisons and ended up preferring LAN with a passion. I don’t have a DDC (yet) but what I’m hearing with HQPlayer+LAN is already a big deal. I have an Allo Digione Signature (with Shanti PSU) which has just been made redundant.

I have already put up my TT2 up for sale; I realize my ears prefer R2R.
Thanks. It all sounds almost too good to be true...really, not many complaints about this DAC! I guess the best way to see if the hype is real and go ahead and get one. Which filters are you using with HQPlayer? I'm upsampling everything to DSD512 and I love how it sounds with the Venus

Oct 13, 2022 at 5:11 AM Post #651 of 8,912

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-10-13 at 11.09.52.png
    Screenshot 2022-10-13 at 11.09.52.png
    326.8 KB · Views: 0
Oct 13, 2022 at 8:35 AM Post #653 of 8,912
Thanks. It all sounds almost too good to be true...really, not many complaints about this DAC! I guess the best way to see if the hype is real and go ahead and get one. Which filters are you using with HQPlayer? I'm upsampling everything to DSD512 and I love how it sounds with the Venus
My Roon / HQplayer server is a Mac Mini M1, hence I only do PCM (less resource hungry). I switch filters around but I like Poly Sinc Gauss or one or the Sinc filters

Oct 13, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #655 of 8,912
Have you actually tried the DSD conversion? I have the same Mac Mini M1 and it handles the conversion just fine
I’ll try it out :p been just so used to PCM (was a TT2 user)

Oct 13, 2022 at 11:33 AM Post #656 of 8,912
R26 arrived 😊
IMG_20221013_172904.jpg

I play through the BubbleUPnP App. The files are on the NAS, which is connected to the switch via a network cable, and the DAC is also connected to the switch. The firmware version is 1.3. The app immediately found the DAC online. What I don't like are the short term interruptions even on 16 bit files. DAC settings are PCM NOS and DSD direct.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #657 of 8,912
Hi Fluty, pls report your problem to their email support. I find one gustard@163.com , and already report my case. I think we need some more report about this problem to push them notice it.
Thanks

Oct 13, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #658 of 8,912
I am considering investing in Supra cat8 cable, but I'm questioning if I need one or two of them, can you guys help/comment ?

In my chain I currently have:
1. R26 connected to my Router with Cat6 cable
2. PC running Roon connected to the same router also cat6 cable.

Oct 13, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #660 of 8,912
R26 arrived 😊

I play through the BubbleUPnP App. The files are on the NAS, which is connected to the switch via a network cable, and the DAC is also connected to the switch. The firmware version is 1.3. The app immediately found the DAC online. What I don't like are the short term interruptions even on 16 bit files. DAC settings are PCM NOS and DSD direct.
That's a big no no for any DAC in my book..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back